The Tenantproof House

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How about glass block wall instead of the screen...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dottie View Post
      How about glass block wall instead of the screen...
      Good idea, but I think they come in at £50 per sqm or so (25 blocks) - ie ~£100 for my 1.9*1.2m screen, plus the mortar (or whatever) and it takes more time to construct by comparison.

So perhaps not one for this particular refurb.

ML
      Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

• Originally posted by midlandslandlord View Post
        £100 for my 1.9*1.2m screen, plus the mortar (or whatever) and it takes more time to construct by comparison.
        But is a glass screen really a good idea in a student shower? They do look great, and must be pretty strong I suppose, but even so...

Comment

• I confess I was considering (c) in post 105 and relative strength...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
            But is a glass screen really a good idea in a student shower? They do look great, and must be pretty strong I suppose, but even so...
            I have fitted 4 of these in student houses over the last couple of years.

The best advice I can give is keep away from the ones that use corner brackets/shelves as they don't last. The overhead bracket ones are much better. If you are using 2 screens (1 side and 1 end) then get the ones with the overhead chrome bars and fix 1 bar to the other. Other than that they are great and much easier to clean than doors/rollers.

Comment

• And another thought.... don't be tempted to use cheap plastic WHBs in vanity units as they break in no time, ceramic ones are fine.

Back to wall WCs look great but are a real pain to fit or fix leaks. I'm not fitting any more as they will probably go out of fashion and they're not worth the extra bother.

Aquapanel type walls are great, I don't think they look quite as good as tiles but they save days of cleaning during changeovers and I haven't had any leak yet.

Comment

• Originally posted by grouse View Post
                And another thought.... don't be tempted to use cheap plastic WHBs in vanity units as they break in no time, ceramic ones are fine.

Back to wall WCs look great but are a real pain to fit or fix leaks. I'm not fitting any more as they will probably go out of fashion and they're not worth the extra bother.

Aquapanel type walls are great, I don't think they look quite as good as tiles but they save days of cleaning during changeovers and I haven't had any leak yet.
                I can't see back to wall pans going out of style but if tenants stand on them it does disrupt the seals I find.
                I do rate aquapanels - they use them on ships of all types and less grout means less sooty mould. Steam cleaining is a must.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

£2427, albeit for a full shower ! Ouch :-).

The best I have seen is something like this at £285:
                  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1800-x-760...-/330747771143

But I have not looked really hard yet.
                  Updating.

It is looking like one of the above with *this* type of tray, which I can bring it at under £300 supplied to site with plumbing bits. Exact products yet to be selected. These particular ones are British, too, I think.

ML

Comment

• That's the screen I have been using, I've had no problems with it, and it's very easy to fit.
                    It comes with 2 silicone rubber gaskets that hold the glass in the frame. Tip: A midgies of silocone grease makes these much easier to fit.

Tray looks good too, I like the deeper shower area, I haven't seen these as an option, but may use them from now on.

Grouse

Comment

• I found the tray by going back to the manufacturer after talking to the distributer.

It weighs 73kg, though.

ML

Comment

• Yes but if you use those plastic trays a heavy person will go throught it usually at the plughole end - disaster - done this one before. I always buy the 'stone' type now and set on good base. Base on base so to speak.

Comment

I found the tray by going back to the manufacturer after talking to the distributer.

It weighs 73kg, though.
                          Have you seen these babies: http://www.coram.co.uk/showertrays-riser.html

I fitted one at home a couple of years ago, and I have to say i'm a massive fan. It was very easy to fit, being so light, and it's extremely robust. We have two showers at home, both of which I fitted; one is a conventional, incredibly heavy stone-resin one bedded in mortar, and which nearly broke my back, and the other is this Coram job. Although lightweight, the Coram one is totally rigid, and feels no different to stand in than the solid stone resin one - it's definitely not to be confused with those horrible plastic trays like Interlaken's, that flex and your feet go through if you're not careful. They also have an upstand around the edge which helps with sealing.

Comment

• Another idea to Tenant-proof Houses with older Combi Boilers...

I've recently found out that you can get Filling Loops with an integral Pressure Relief Valve (PRV). The PRV stops the pressure in the system being raised over a preset limit thus preventing accidental over-pressurisation.

The Altecnic Robofil is one such device.

Comment

• Another combi boiler tip-

I have had a leaking pressure vessel diagnosed in a 7 year old Potterton combi and new plumber offered to change existing PV which meant boiler coming of the wall and complete dismantle (£350) or mount a new one under the sink and by-passing old unit (£250).

I have gone for this as apart from saving money I like things where I/tenants can see if there are leaks.

Anyone else had this done?

Comment

• The Spotlight Problem

A personal one, but I can

My superswish (effectively a 4 year old newbuild) new house has (as far as I have counted) 80+ halogen type spotlights. A compromise worth making, even though some are innaccessible and we have a couple of high ceilings. None, however - kaloo-kalay - are over the stairwell.

In the past my experience is that for about 15-20 normal GU** spotlights I will need to replace one every month or so.

What is the best strategy for this? Are we now at a point where LED spotlights are suitably powerful if I buy a box of 50 or 100?

Recommendations welcome.

ML

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Toilet fan
                                  Gep
                                  Could anybody recommend a good extractor fan?

I'm looking for something great quality and long lasting. I don't care if it's pretty, super quiet, etc.
                                  Something pretty common would be good as well so I'm sure any electrician will be able to fit it easily.

This is the...
                                  19-07-2017, 10:04 AM
                                • Reply to Toilet fan
                                  jpkeates
                                  I have one of these in my bathroom - not silent, but quiet enough.
                                  I've found that they vary from box to box, though....
                                  Shop Silavent SDF100TBS Axial Extractor Fan with Backdraught Shutter & Timer. Free delivery and returns on eligible orders
                                  21-07-2017, 09:13 AM
                                • What to look for in double glazing quotes
                                  bowsden
                                  Hello. I'm a new BtL landlord and have just bought an upper flat with two bedrooms, one in the attic. The conversion is very old and there is no paperwork associated with it. It has been let out for 30 years previously and is very tired, so I intend to freshen it up, put double glazing in and let it...
                                  14-07-2017, 09:01 AM
                                • Reply to What to look for in double glazing quotes
                                  MisterB
                                  of course it matters who owns the windows as a matter of principle - if they fell out and injured someone, who holds the liability? chances of it happening ...... in reality, next to none. so in your case it seems it isn't an issue, but I have two flats in a block of LA flats. the lease states they...
                                  18-07-2017, 20:05 PM
                                  bowsden
                                  In Newcastle and the surrounding parts, it is perfectly normal. It is not a flying freehold, it is a criss-cross arrangement most popularly associated with 'Tyneside Flats'....
                                  18-07-2017, 08:22 AM
                                  leaseholder64
                                  A flying freehold doesn't seem to be a good position to be in for a residential flat.
                                  17-07-2017, 10:39 AM
                                • mysterious dust
                                  tatemono
                                  We've got a family in a 3 bed mid-terrace 1930s brick and tile house and prior to them moving in a year ago, we did quite a bit of work on the property including remedying some damp issues (not major) a complete replaster and redecoration. It was mint when the family moved in.

A year...
                                  22-03-2017, 14:28 PM
                                • Reply to mysterious dust
                                  JK0
                                  Of course, you only had the tops of the walls plastered?
                                  17-07-2017, 09:44 AM
                                • Reply to mysterious dust
                                  tatemono
                                  Area has trees front and back so we get gutters done every year. The dust isn't just upstairs either. It's appeared to a lesser extent downstairs. The plaster is my bet. It was all done by the same plasterer and he was a different plasterer to the one we used for the other properties we've refurbished...
                                  17-07-2017, 09:21 AM
                                  bowsden
                                  Hi. Thanks for the input. With these flats they are criss cross freeholder / leaseholder. The bottom flat has the freehold to the top one and I will own the freehold to the bottom one. So technically the bottom flat is responsible for looking after the bit that keeps up my flat and I am responsible...
                                  16-07-2017, 18:25 PM
                                Working...
                                X