Can the EPC from HIP be used when letting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can the EPC from HIP be used when letting?

I bought a property a few years ago and built a loft extension and rear extension. I assume the HIP had an EPC. If EPC are valid for 10 years can I use the one that came with the HIP for letting it. I kno it might be in my interests to get a new EPC sometime but the guy who is gonna rent my property is a mate of a mate and already decided he wants the property so the energy rating won't make any difference but it's a legal requirement to hav a EPC. Also I hav a new boiler and heard that radiators might need thermostatic valves installed as part of building regs?

Thanks

Well I'm in the process of buying a property at the moment for renting out, and the EPC I've been given as part of the selling pack is identical to the ones I've commissioned myself for existing rentals; there's not even the name of the owner on there, so absolutely I'll be using that for my tenants.

The joke is that I fully intend to upgrade the poor roof insulation before letting it out, however although that will improve the EPC I certainly won't be wasting money on having it redone, as no tenant I've ever come across gives a monkeys about them!

Regarding the boiler - when you get one fitted, the fitter has to notify building control these days as part of the package, so you shouldn't have to worry about that. Presumably it's all been done kosher and above-board?

TRVs are certainly part of the regs these days; I don't think there's a requirement to install them to an old system just because you've renewed the boiler though.

Comment

You're worrying about nothing.
      Carry on as you were.
      Allow tenants to protect their own deposits. I want free money when they do it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by thesaint View Post
        You're worrying about nothing.
        Carry on as you were.
        I would agree with this comment as far as the EPC is concerned, but letting to a mate of a mate! I look forward to reading your future posts!
        I used to be indecisive but now I'm not quite sure!

Comment

yes, the boiler was installed by my usual guy who is definitely Gas Safe and does all my checks etc. I received a building regs certificate through the door so i know he notified them. This particular tenant is being a bit awkward and saying all radiatiors should have thermostatic valves fitted when the boiler was changed but i cant see where in the building regs this is written as something that must be done. Also, what paperwork should i have to prove the gas is safe as its a new installation. My gas man said i dont need a gas safety check as both the boiler and gas hob are new installations and i have a building regs certificate for the boiler and an invoice for the hob but what paperwork should i have to prove the gas safety?

thanks

Comment

We had this question a while back and I believe the answer is that if it is a new installation (by a gassafe engineer) then you won't need a certificate until it is a year old. Same thing with the hob.
            I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

T may want thermostatic valves (I would like them too) but no you don't have to provide them and they are not a requirement when installing new boiler etc either. I should be getting a new boiler in a couple of months (warm front scheme) and asked if I could have them too but was told no, they would only do those if installing new radiators too.

You don't need the gsc for a year because when installing they are certifiying it's safe then.

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
              as no tenant I've ever come across gives a monkeys about them!
              I give a monkey but ok I'm a bit nerdy it has to be said, but given one property I rented had a boiler that cost me £2 per day just for hot water I learnt to look at the (often incorrect) EPC.
              I'm a good tenant with great landlords
              I'm also a living, breathing, fully cooked female.

Comment

legally no you cant. but no one will know any better if you do (except the assessor). if you are caught then the fine is £200.

Comment

Originally posted by bargainhunter View Post
                  legally no you cant. but no one will know any better if you do (except the assessor). if you are caught then the fine is £200.
                  Please do tell us the source of this information. There's certainly nothing on the Gov't's own website which suggests that there's any problem at all with using an EPC obtained by a previous owner.

Comment

jackboy, you can use the same certificate and it is valid for up to 10 years. It would only be worth having another one commisioned if you make energy efficiency improvements (e.g. new boiler, roof or wall insulation) which affected the rating significantly and you feel you would benefit from needed the competitve edge when seeking tenants.
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X