Loft Insulation Entitlement?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loft Insulation Entitlement?

Hi, I live in a rented property, top floor. We moved in to the property summer time this year so have only started realising recently how cold the flat gets. We dont have central heating - only storage heaters that have to be on a good few hours before they start kicking out heat. However, even when these are on , it seems like the flat never gets above a certain temperature. It is cold.

My boyfriend found out we have no insulation in the loft. Is this something I can ask my landlord for? Is it in my right as a tenant to have loft insulation?

If someone could reply to me with some advice or my entitlements as a tenant regarding this subject, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes, you can ask. No, L does not have to agree.
    If you're planning on staying for a long time [NB: you can never know this in advance, as L may give you Notice], offer to pay all or part of cost.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

It's worth asking your local council whether there are any grants available to LLs to insulate rental properties. They tend to be targeted at the over 60s age group and I suspect they will soon disappear soon anyway given the savaging of local council budgets - but it's worth a try.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Yes, i also think that it is worth asking for. If you have a very generous landlord it may grant your request to insulate your property. As a tenant who is paying the right price you have the right to have good service.

Comment

gemmahand - you are entitled to a subsidy of 50%-70% cost of loft insulation, or completely free installation depending on your status. It's your primary residence, not the landlord's. So the landlord is not entitled to any subsidy on this property as it's his primary residence. Call Miller Pattison or Nationwide Energy (links below) and ask for a free survey. If you qualify for free then you will still need to obtain written permission from the landlord to go ahead - the permission will have to be shown to the installer/scheme administrator before they will proceed.

It's in the landlords interest to allow this, so if you can't get a free insulation I would ask the landlord to pay the difference on top of the subsidy - worst possible case for LL is he gets his property upgraded for half price. If LL is at all sensible he should jump at this opportunity.

btw - what happened to your Energy Performance Certificate? I thought these were compulsory and had to be presented to prospective tenants before they agree to rent? You should've known there was no insulation/terrible energy efficiency before you moved in. If your LL is difficult about this I would ask more questions about the EPC and see what rights you have if it doesn't exist and what, if any, leverage that will give you in negotiation with the LL.

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
          They tend to be targeted at the over 60s age group and I suspect they will soon disappear soon anyway given the savaging of local council budgets - but it's worth a try.
          Free insulation has just been installed at three houses on my street and I met with the installer about two of those.
          • Loft insulation schemes are not about to be withdrawn (though conditions to qualify for completely free installation may be tightened)
          • The United Kingdom has to meet it's Kyoto Treaty commitments.
          • Insulation is subsidised via the energy companies and everybody's energy bills (stealth tax ) A few £ on each monthly energy bill.
          • People on certain benefits qualify for free insulation e.g. Disability Living Allowance. See Nationwide Energy for full list
          • Over 70's qualify for free (although that may change, it used to be over 60's)
          • Everybody can get a subsidy of 50%-70%
          • You can get pipes (re)lagged, jackets for water tanks, cavity wall insulations as well as the 200mm loft floor insulation

Miller Pattison did the work, and they have branches all over the country, so it's possibly worth giving them a call to request a survey and ask about qualifying for free installation. I'm quite pleased with the work they did at my home

Nationwide Energy Services administer the scheme and they called us with the sales pitch, and they have all the info on their website: http://www.nesuk.com/loft-insulation/

Comment

Originally posted by IanM View Post
            Miller Pattison did the work, and they have branches all over the country, so it's possibly worth giving them a call to request a survey and ask about qualifying for free installation. I'm quite pleased with the work they did at my home
            And your connection with that firm is...?
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I am not connected with either firm in any way. I've seen a lot of these cynical responses from forum regulars lately, and it's getting pretty old. Is this forum now at the point where no one is allowed to post about good experiences they've had dealing with any businesses or schemes? Is LandLordZone now only to be used to promote the businesses paying for advertising here? I use the site as I expect to share unbiased advice and experiences from landlords and tenants alike.

If you really think my post is spam advertising or touting for business then use the report post button, but before you do that check my join date and review my previous posts. If you still think my attempt to help is out of line, then go ahead and report it, but please stop posting these insulting insinuations.

Comment

No-one is trying to insult you. However, members with rather longer membership than yours have seen endless businesses' owners posting not in an effort to assist other members but simply to self-advertise. We're glad that you aren't- is all.
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by IanM View Post
                  I am not connected with either firm in any way. I've seen a lot of these cynical responses from forum regulars lately, and it's getting pretty old. Is this forum now at the point where no one is allowed to post about good experiences they've had dealing with any businesses or schemes? Is LandLordZone now only to be used to promote the businesses paying for advertising here? I use the site as I expect to share unbiased advice and experiences from landlords and tenants alike.

If you really think my post is spam advertising or touting for business then use the report post button, but before you do that check my join date and review my previous posts. If you still think my attempt to help is out of line, then go ahead and report it, but please stop posting these insulting insinuations.
                  As Jeffrey has explained, no insult was intended. It is however rarely necessary to promote a particular company/business when giving generic advice/information. This applies equally to the businesses which advertise on the site.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X