Energy Performance Certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy Performance Certificate

How long does this load of old nonsense last for? I got mine done in December 2008, so it was OK for when my T moved in in April 09, but I'll be looking for a new T in the next few months and wonder if I have to get a new EPC done? I looked on the EPC itself, but couldn't find anything relating to how long it lasts for.

I've never been asked for a copy of it either - such a waste of time. I'd never in a million years ask for a copy either.

Cheers!

The epc lasts for ten years. Complete waste of paper.
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by jta View Post
      The epc lasts for ten years. Complete waste of paper.
      Completely agree - thankfully initial prices charged are coming down - Locally we are able to get them for around £40.

Its so much of a joke no one can even be bothered to regulate if being done! Unless anyone has an example?

Comment

Heh, glad people agree with me on the EPC. Cheers for the info btw. Tbh, if I did have to renew it now, I'd have considered not getting it done. More out of spite and a hatred of this irrational bit of paper than the money. Tbh, I can easily swallow the cost of the EPC, I just hate the waste of time that it is.

Comment

I think most of people can swallow the money but its the fact that its such a waste of time because in reality it doesnt change anything and no one acts upon them anyway. Commercial EPC's are still quite expensive, and equally as pointless.
          [I]The opinions I give are simply my opinions and interpretations of what I have learnt, in numerous years as a property professional, I would not rely upon them without consulting with a paid advisor and providing them with all the relevant facts[I]

Comment

The only people who are enforcing it are the letting agents who do so because thay can make a commission out of the organisations who prepare them.
            I must admit that I feel sorry for an acquaintance of mine who gave up his sales rep job a year or so ago to train to become qualified to do EPC's. He got qualified to do the domestic ones then, just before he took his exam to qualify for his commercial one, the training company went bust. Eventually, at extre cost, he managed to take and pass the exam - and now he has absolutely no work.

P.P.
            Any information given in this post is based on my personal experience as a landlord, what I have learned from this and other boards and elsewhere. It is not to be relied on. Definitive advice is only available from a Solicitor or other appropriately qualified person.

Comment

Its an interesting one this one, its almost a conspiracy. A friend of mine who is also a landlord recently had his council out for an inspection under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System.

The property is a HMO which is in very good repair and well looked apart from it being a pre 1920 building converted in 1986 into 3s/c flats. The energy performance of the building isnt good as most pre 1920 buildings aren't. The windows are still the originals so single glazed but in good working order, the heating systems are maintained and serviced and as such have last a good few years. The EPC rated the property as poor to average.

Under section 235 of the Housing Act 2004 the council requested the EPC, which he provided. Three weeks later he received an improvement notice requiring him to install secondary glazing, upgrade the heating controls and upgrade the loft insulation.

So it would seem councils are using them to get landlords to upgrade their properties, so to say nobody takes any notice of them or enforces them isn't strictly true it would seem. European legislation says we need them and councils use them to enforce them, so be wary of a council official asking you to produce it!

Comment

That sounds as if they are overstepping their authority, unless there is something more to it, is there?
                I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Originally posted by michel97moreno
                  I think this certificate is valid for 10 years.........
                  thank you so much. reported

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X