Record for lowest EPC scores

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Record for lowest EPC scores

A landlord for a new property on the books has passed in the EPC for the house.

EER Current is 1.
    EER Potential is 1.
    EIR Current is 9.
    EIR Potential is 9.

Must be the worlds most energy inefficient house!

They put the heating costs at about 5k a year!!!
    Property is a four/five bed detached - new boiler, double glazed, insulated loft.
    Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Is the house merely new to the Letting Agent or is it really a new house?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

If this is a new house it is impossible, but I would think it is just 'new' to the agent. Even if the property was old, if a new boiler, loft insulation and double glazing had been fitted I would consider it very low. Obviously I am unaware of the individual circumstance of the property, but I do many old listed buildings which can't be improved, with solid fuel heating that is inefficient, and they come out higher than this. I personally would query whether the input to the software is correct. The only few I have done like this coming out at 1 are huge great detached draughty unimproved old farmhouses.

Jane
      Jane Needham

Whilst the advice given is believed to be correct, I hold no liability for any actions taken on the basis of the advice.

Comment

"Huge great draughty farmhouses"

with very low energy rating........

large open fires, walls a couple of foot thick; and the Aga on full pelt night and day all year round bar June-Aug

....and ironically this is exactly the type of property to which people of taste aspire!

Comment

According to my lecturer it is theoretically possible to have a negative EER. I wouldnt be suprised if the house Im living in had that. Big drafty windows, electric panel heaters, no loft insulation unless you count a load of rugs, clapped out water heater, the works.

If we werent shown the epc when we moved in,do we have a right to see it now (half way through the tenancy)? Do we ask the landlord or the letting agent please?

Comment

Any property let after 1st October 2008 is required to have an EPC available. If your tenancy started after this date you should have been given one. It is the Landlords responsibility to commission an EPC. If your tenancy started before this date there is no obligation to have one.

Ask the agent or landlord if it is applicable. Some landlords (and agents) think the law doesn't apply to them so it is possible one hasn't been done!

BTW 1's are not uncommon, often solid brick walls, no heating or partial storage heating, little or no insulation and open chimneys...
            Last edited by thi; 30-08-2010, 20:05 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

And I have just been round (in my village) one of the first properties I've ever seen with an EE rating of at least 100! It is a new build with photovoltaic cells on the roof which will produce enough electricity for its own needs (mainly lighting and water heating, as there is so much insulation it the central heating rarely, if ever, needs to be on) and be paid to supply the grid with the excess* (guaranteed for the next 25 years - it more than covers the cost of installation).

It also captures rainwater (plentiful in these parts) and recycles it into plumbed-in appliances like the washing machine.

I'm not normally a fan of new builds, but I could be persuaded...

* all the electricity produced is sold to the grid @ 38p per unit, then bought back for the standard price of 11-12p - but you make enough profit to recoup your costs and more besides.
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X