How to improve energy efficiency in Georgian house?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to improve energy efficiency in Georgian house?

I viewed a potential rental property today, a small 1-bed Georgian cottage, ground/first floors with a flat roof and old windows and brick walls.

I liked it, but unsurprisingly, the energy efficiency rating is pretty poor: 43% with potential of 51%. I could tell it could be potentially freezing in the winter.

Easy enough to change the windows, but is it possible to do anything to insulate a flat roof, when there is no loft cavity in which to install insulation? Would it be a case of installing insulating plasterboard everywhere, i.e. all walls and first floor ceiling too, or is there an easier/cheaper option?

Hi

If you are thinking of renting the property, are you expecting the landlord to make these improvements? If you would do these yourself then you should have the Landlords permission especially bearing in mind the following:

Please be aware that the software does NOT cater well at all for older properties with thick stone walls. These have significant heat retention properties. English Heritage have in fact produced a guide which does make these comments in respect of older properties. This generally means that the property will actually perform better than the EPC rating suggests.

Also bear in mind that the property may be Listed, or in a Conservation Area, therefore it may not be possible for anyone to carry out the improvements due to planning restrictions. Permission must be obtained beforehand. At best only secondary double glazing can be fitted for instance in a Listed building. If works are carried out and permission has not been given by a relevant authority, the person carrying out the works can be forced to stop, and put the building back to how it was at their cost.

Hope this helps.

Jane
    Jane Needham

Whilst the advice given is believed to be correct, I hold no liability for any actions taken on the basis of the advice.

Comment

@'Jane Needham': westminster would be the LL, not the tenant.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks, Jane. As MTG says, I'm a landlord and my post relates to a property I am considering as a buy-to-let.

The house isn't listed and I am aware of building/planning regs having carried out several refurbs of period properties, including listed ones. The walls are masonry, not stone, and not especially thick, and as the property is semi-detached most of the walls are exterior ones, so I am quite doubtful that their heat-retention is good, but I will definitely check out the English Heritage guide you mention.

Comment

Jane, is this the guide you mean? Very interesting, thanks.

PDF link here.

Comment

Found some better links (for the benefit of anyone else interested in this issue)

Link one

Link two

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X