As L, I wasn't aware that EPC was required- what now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cazbym
    started a topic As L, I wasn't aware that EPC was required- what now?

As L, I wasn't aware that EPC was required- what now?

Hi,

Prior to my previous tenants exit (whose tenancy ran from July 2008 to July 2009), I was contacted out of the blue by email, by a friend of the neighbour of the property who more or less begged me to rent the property to them which I did. In other words the property was never marketed. I had honestly not even heard of an EPC until I read about it on your website today.

Obviously I know how to go forward with future tenancies, (extremely annoying though it is, as the property is a listed building in a preservation area and I can't even paint the door without approval), but how do I stand with regard to the existing one?

Any help gratefully appreciated.
    Last edited by cazbym; 21-08-2010, 00:50 AM. Reason: typo pain paint

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by cazbym View Post
    EPS ordered yesterday afternoon. Many thanks for advice, a great weight off my mind. Will revert back to letting agency next time - let the professionals do it!
    Well...there are letting agents and there are letting agents. Make sure it is not a case of 'out of the frying pan, into the fire' by employing an agent for whom you have had a personal recommendation by another LL you know and whose managing director/boss will speak to you/get back to you on the phone within 4 hours of your ringing the office.

Leave a comment:

• cazbym
    replied
    EPS ordered yesterday afternoon. Many thanks for advice, a great weight off my mind. Will revert back to letting agency next time - let the professionals do it!

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by cazbym View Post

I am on the point of arranging an EPS this morning. I obviously want to get this matter sorted out as soon as possible. Although not planned initially, we will probably be renting out the property again. It is unlikely that we will easily be able to gain access before the tenant leaves. So I will probably have to do it as soon as they leave.
    If you are arranging an EPC this morning, you have nothing to worry about.

Leave a comment:

• cazbym
    replied
    Hi,

Yes, this is the same tenant mentioned in the deposit thread on the other forum. No he is not threatening me with not providing him one, which is in itself strange. He himself is also a landlord, and professes to know all the regulations, so I assume that he was not aware he needed one either. I myself only became aware of it last night whilst perusing the threads and wandered what an EPS was!! No excuse I know. Definitely my error, and something I could kick myself for. I would say that we are landlords by default and not design. It is not a business. If we could sell the 2 properties we have which are financed by a huge mortgage on our own house, we most definitely would.

But I would like clarification on the subject as the two replies seem to be contradictory. Previous tenants had been sourced through a lettings agency. In this instance however, the tenants approached me via email which they obtained from the neighbours. Had we arranged this through an agent, we would no doubt, have been advised of the requirement and would have immediately put it in place.

I am on the point of arranging an EPS this morning. I obviously want to get this matter sorted out as soon as possible. Although not planned initially, we will probably be renting out the property again. It is unlikely that we will easily be able to gain access before the tenant leaves. So I will probably have to do it as soon as they leave.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
    ? But the requirement for having an EPC is nothing to do with whether the property is marketed as such, surely? The tenant should have been provided with one on signing up, regardless.
    You may be right ,although I thought I had read somewhere that if the property is not marketed then it wasn't mandatory to have one - I had better check! I agree it seems an illogical kind of exception to make.

Leave a comment:

• Ericthelobster
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Don't worry. Your existing tenancy is unaffected since the property was never marketed.
    ? But the requirement for having an EPC is nothing to do with whether the property is marketed as such, surely? The tenant should have been provided with one on signing up, regardless.

Is this the same tenant as mentioned in the 'deposit' thread in the main forum? Is he threatening you for not having given him one? There's a potential fixed penalty of £200 for failing to comply; you should get it done pronto (providing he lets you have access). Much less potentially serious than failing to protect a deposit.

I found my EPC assessor from the adverts on this site. It's just a standard bit of paper and will be the same wherever you get it done - ie no need to discriminate between suppliers by anything other than price.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Don't worry. Your existing tenancy is unaffected since the property was never marketed. Before you market it for any future rental, just have an EPC produced for it. It will last up to 10 years. It must be done by a qualified Domestic Energy Assessor (google 'DEA' + your local area and you should get a list, perhaps on yell.com or a similar site). Whereabouts in the UK is the property?

The energy assessment will cost you about £50-£80 and take the DEA about 45 minutes at your property, then the data collected (e.g. on property type, room sizes, type of insulation if any, type of windows, type of boiler/heating system, etc) ,is fed into a computer using standard software and an energy efficiency rating for the property is obtained. This is expressed as a percentage (of maximum, or 'carbon-neutral' efficiency. The average for all properties in the UK is 50%; new-build flats tend to be much better, old detached houses, worse). The certificate also gives recommendations (not compulsory!) as to how that property's rating could realistically be improved, should you wish to improve it.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X