• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
    I? Awkward? As if!
    I'll take that as a 'Yes, you're right. Thank you for the explanation', then.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    I? Awkward? As if!

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    I hope that it does too. I dislike etceterae; the only Act with a short title so enhanced, as far as I know, is the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. A better title would have been the Boundary Structures Act, because it's not limited to either:
    a. party matters; or
    b. walls.
    Well, did it (my explanation) help, or not?

And with respect, I would point out that I was not drafting the title to an Act of Parliament, which - being a highly formal document - needs to make perfect sense without recourse to deixis; the latter is necessarily context-bound and may indeed (as you suggest in your example), confuse anyone not involved in the discourse. In fact, I have always thought that the very title 'Party Wall Act' promises much more fun than it actually delivers (not being about obliging people to have parties on walls after all), but that's a digression.

I was (albeit futilely, it seems), drafting a title to a sub-forum on Landlordzone, which is not quite the same thing as an Act of Parliament. Much less formal - and we were in the middle of a conversation about it, so the 'etc' was naturally lent meaning by the context!

I incline to the view that you are being an awkward sod over this, but as ever I am willing to be persuaded otherwise. (A cheque for £500 should suffice).

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    I hope that it does too. I dislike etceterae; the only Act with a short title so enhanced, as far as I know, is the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. A better title would have been the Boundary Structures Act, because it's not limited to either:
    a. party matters; or
    b. walls.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    plus whatever use is an 'etc.' at the end?
    The 'etc' was a deictic reference relating to the suggested concluding phrase 'property design, repairs and improvements' which I had already included several times when discussing possible titles with you. Since it was the initial part of the forum name which we were trying to hammer out, it seemed unnecesary to repeat the ending in full, since we already seemed to have agreed upon it.

It wasn't a legal document and the people I have just shown it to agree it makes perfect sense.

Hope that helps!

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    I have no say in it. Why not contact Editor (Tom Entwistle) if you feel strongly about it?
    plus whatever use is an 'etc.' at the end?

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Near enough to the new title already implemented by LZ.

Not really, because the new title does not mention the 'etc' (property design, repairs and improvements)!

Don't worry - I get the message. Suggestions clearly not welcome! Rien ne change.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    OK: ERs, EPCs and energy efficiency, etc.
    Near enough to the new title already implemented by LZ.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Energy Reports (commercial) do have more in common with EPCs, however.
    OK: ERs, EPCs and energy efficiency, etc.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Energy Reports (commercial) do have more in common with EPCs, however.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    So what might such forum's name be, then? Perhaps 'Property design, repairs, improvements, and Energy Reports'?
    Yes, something like that. I would suggest : 'EPCs and energy efficiency, property design, repairs and improvements' (on the grounds that queries about ERs for commercial properties will probably end up in the Commercial Lettings forum anyway).

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    I didn't just mean EPCs, though. I have long felt we could usefully have a forum on questions to do with property design, maintenance and improvement, including energy efficiency measures such as insulation, windows/double glazing, upgrading of boilers, green technology, etc. It could also deal with all those questions about how to combat damp/condensation - a right old chestnut, I think you'll agree! There have also been quite a number of questions relating to design in tenanted properties : showers versus baths, decorating, locks, windows, heating systems, Saniflo systems, etc. And whether LLs agree with the requirement to have EPCs or not, the fact remains that a well-designed, well maintained and energy efficient property is generally more profitable than a draughty, poorly-insulated one.
    So what might such forum's name be, then? Perhaps 'Property design, repairs, improvements, and Energy Reports'?
    Anyway, LZ seems to have beaten you to it during today- name already changed to 'Energy Reports EPC - late HIPs/HCRs'!

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Because they're called something else for commercial lettings, I think.
    I see - thank you for explaining. Well, perhaps the title could include both.

Leave a comment:

• jeffrey
    replied
    Why 'Energy Reports'? Assuming you are referring to Energy Performance Certificates, why not just call them EPCs, as that is their correct name?
    Because they're called something else for commercial lettings, I think.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Perhaps 'Energy Reports (and former HIPs/HCRs)'.
    The now-abolished requirements might still be relevant (e.g. re any prosecutions still pending for non-compliance).
    Why 'Energy Reports'? Assuming you are referring to Energy Performance Certificates, why not just call them EPCs, as that is their correct name?

I didn't just mean EPCs, though. I have long felt we could usefully have a forum on questions to do with property design, maintenance and improvement, including energy efficiency measures such as insulation, windows/double glazing, upgrading of boilers, green technology, etc. It could also deal with all those questions about how to combat damp/condensation - a right old chestnut, I think you'll agree! There have also been quite a number of questions relating to design in tenanted properties : showers versus baths, decorating, locks, windows, heating systems, Saniflo systems, etc. And whether LLs agree with the requirement to have EPCs or not, the fact remains that a well-designed, well maintained and energy efficient property is generally more profitable than a draughty, poorly-insulated one. Strangely enough, tenants seem to prefer the former

If we had a forum for queries/tips/comments on these kinds of things, it might free 'Residential Lettings' up a little for questions relating more to the legal/administrative and 'human' aspects of letting. Plus, I could get to share my experiences of low-level plumbing.

Editor : please consider this suggestion seriously. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X