Suggestion for renaming this forum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no say in it. Why not contact Editor (Tom Entwistle) if you feel strongly about it?
    plus whatever use is an 'etc.' at the end?
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
      plus whatever use is an 'etc.' at the end?
      The 'etc' was a deictic reference relating to the suggested concluding phrase 'property design, repairs and improvements' which I had already included several times when discussing possible titles with you. Since it was the initial part of the forum name which we were trying to hammer out, it seemed unnecesary to repeat the ending in full, since we already seemed to have agreed upon it.

It wasn't a legal document and the people I have just shown it to agree it makes perfect sense.

Hope that helps!
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I hope that it does too. I dislike etceterae; the only Act with a short title so enhanced, as far as I know, is the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. A better title would have been the Boundary Structures Act, because it's not limited to either:
        a. party matters; or
        b. walls.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

I hope that it does too. I dislike etceterae; the only Act with a short title so enhanced, as far as I know, is the Party Wall etc. Act 1996. A better title would have been the Boundary Structures Act, because it's not limited to either:
          a. party matters; or
          b. walls.
          Well, did it (my explanation) help, or not?

And with respect, I would point out that I was not drafting the title to an Act of Parliament, which - being a highly formal document - needs to make perfect sense without recourse to deixis; the latter is necessarily context-bound and may indeed (as you suggest in your example), confuse anyone not involved in the discourse. In fact, I have always thought that the very title 'Party Wall Act' promises much more fun than it actually delivers (not being about obliging people to have parties on walls after all), but that's a digression.

I was (albeit futilely, it seems), drafting a title to a sub-forum on Landlordzone, which is not quite the same thing as an Act of Parliament. Much less formal - and we were in the middle of a conversation about it, so the 'etc' was naturally lent meaning by the context!

I incline to the view that you are being an awkward sod over this, but as ever I am willing to be persuaded otherwise. (A cheque for £500 should suffice).
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I? Awkward? As if!

Comment

I? Awkward? As if!
              I'll take that as a 'Yes, you're right. Thank you for the explanation', then.

Comment

Take it however (and wherever) you like it.

Comment

Take it however (and wherever) you like it.
                  Thank you. Always the gentleman.

Comment

How about EPC's and Home Condition Reports

HCR's seem to be still on the go for all the sellers in Scotland, which is probably a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by baldelectrician View Post
                      How about EPC's and Home Condition Reports

HCR's seem to be still on the go for all the sellers in Scotland, which is probably a good thing
                      But very few LZ members can assist with any Scottish-law-related matters.

Comment

Forum duly re-titled - thanks!

Energy-saving technology tips?

Bring on your plumbing problems!

Berate your builder!

Share your Saniflo experiences!

The Great Shower Curtain Debate - this way.

Comment

...i.e. for all who share your fascination with such things. Quiet, isn't it?

Comment

...i.e. for all who share your fascination with such things. Quiet, isn't it?
                            Interesting. I never had you down as a snob, before now!

Bizarre as it may seem to you, some people do indeed find the design and improvement of properties/homes more fascinating than the minutiae of legal documents and case history - it takes all sorts. Please stop whingeing!

Comment

OK- so let such people flock hither and post. I have no objection, you'll be delighted to know!

Comment

I have no objection
                                That does indeed make a pleasant change

Keep it up.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X