Kitchen Worktop Suitable for Student Property?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    Are you cleaning the filter regularly enough?

    The only time our students' DW didn't clean properly was when - for some unknown reason - they removed the rotor arms from inside it, and stored them in the broom cupboard. They thought it was amazing when we replaced them and the thing worked properly again.

    (But I do agree, Weetabix is like Araldite. My son used to stick his head to the table with it most mornings, when small).
    Yes i pull the filter out approx once a week - it is rarely clogged.
    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
    W.Churchill

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
      Yes i pull the filter out approx once a week - it is rarely clogged.
      Perhaps South Welsh water is just muckier than Yorkshire and Newcastle water!

      We never use dishwasher salt or rinsaid either - perhaps our water is very soft, despite being surrounded by limestone.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
        Perhaps South Welsh water is just muckier than Yorkshire and Newcastle water!

        We never use dishwasher salt or rinsaid either - perhaps our water is very soft, despite being surrounded by limestone.
        i don't use salt or any other additivess either.
        A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
        W.Churchill

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
          i don't use salt or any other additivess either.
          In that case perhaps you should, especially if you know you are in a hard water area.

          Does your kettle fur up?

          (That isn't innuendo, either )
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
            It is totally unnecessary as they always come out of the dishwasher beautifully clean.

            Try it! Free yourself from these shackles! Just bung the bloody things in the machine and press the button!
            Yes, and apparently if you rinse beforehand, that's what causes glasses to go cloudy; because the detergent has nothing to work on so it attacks the surface impurities of glass. I know this sounds like a Daily Mail cancer myth, but I am convinced it's true...

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
              In that case perhaps you should, especially if you know you are in a hard water area.

              Does your kettle fur up?

              (That isn't innuendo, either )

              No idea, no-one in this house drinks tea, coffee or any other hot drink so it only gets used by visitors - and at £1 a cup most decline the offer
              A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
              W.Churchill

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by mind the gap View Post

                The only time our students' DW didn't clean properly was when - for some unknown reason - they removed the rotor arms from inside it, and stored them in the broom cupboard. They thought it was amazing when we replaced them and the thing worked properly again.
                My younger brother is 27, and he is still learning amazing things such as how Fairy Liquid is not a substitute for dishwasher tablets.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by westminster View Post
                  My younger brother is 27, and he is still learning amazing things such as how Fairy Liquid is not a substitute for dishwasher tablets.
                  Gargling with domestos is great for sore throats !
                  A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                  W.Churchill

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by westminster View Post
                    My younger brother is 27, and he is still learning amazing things such as how Fairy Liquid is not a substitute for dishwasher tablets.
                    A useful lesson to learn!

                    However, I have a friend who swears that ordinary (clothes) washing powder is just as good as DW detergent and it's a fraction of the price.

                    I have never dared try it.
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                      No idea, no-one in this house drinks tea, coffee or any other hot drink so it only gets used by visitors - and at £1 a cup most decline the offer
                      How rude of them, what with you being on yer beam end and all!

                      OK - does your bath/loo/shower door/glass screen get limescale on it after a while?

                      (Or have you been converted to TenantsLuvme's philosophy about shower curtains?!)
                      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                        How rude of them, what with you being on yer beam end and all!

                        OK - does your bath/loo/shower door/glass screen get limescale on it after a while?

                        (Or have you been converted to TenantsLuvme's philosophy about shower curtains?!)
                        Nope no curtain - no screen (long story based on window cleaners having dirtiest windows!)

                        In short - no limescale problems 'round these parts !
                        A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                        W.Churchill

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                          Nope no curtain - no screen (long story based on window cleaners having dirtiest windows!)

                          In short - no limescale problems 'round these parts !
                          I give up, then. I can only assume you are getting the equivalent of reflux, but in your drains. Gross!
                          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                            I give up, then. I can only assume you are getting the equivalent of reflux, but in your drains. Gross!
                            Relux in my drains ...cobblers!

                            Weetabix dried onto a bowl, which has been left from 8am to 9pm will not get washed off by any dishwasher that i have ever owned.

                            Nor ready brek, egg, tomato sauce or a whole number of other dietary delights!

                            A quick rinse and wipe over soon after meal has finished removes the problem.

                            Aha i have the answer ...do you lick your plates clean...'cos we dont do that down 'ere
                            A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                            W.Churchill

                            Comment


                              #44
                              One of the best tips I've had for improving dishwasher performance came from an engineer who came out to repair ours once, when over a long period, was just refusing to get stuff clean despite ensuring all the filters were clear, etc.

                              Having removed the covers, it became apparent that the tubes through which the water was transported around the casing were thoroughly clogged with all manner of grease, gunk etc - really nasty. He said we should be running the machine empty and very hot every couple of months or so using those one of thise 'deep clean' detergent bottles, which being quite expensive I'd hitherto ignored as being just another bit of manufacturer's BS to help part me from more of my hard-earned - however, the guy was totally right.

                              We use them regularly these days, and never have a problem with mucky washing up (except sometimes when she sets it going; because as everyone knows, girls don't know how to load a dishwasher properly...)

                              Comment


                                #45
                                May I suggest you check the seal on the dishwasher. A faulty seal could be allowing steam out to the underside of the worktop.

                                Failing that my favourite tenant proof product is UPVC white plastic that builders do soffits, window frames etc with. I do bathroom ceiling with it - no painting, no mould and virtually indistructable - not suitable for worktop though.

                                It comes in all sorts of profiles and plain board, is very cheap and could be stuck to the underside of the worktop with Pink adhesive - check it out at www.toolstation.com. Sticks just about anything in construction and DIY - you use it with a gun type thing.

                                Look up UPvc suppliers in a directory - it is expensive and B&Q/Wickes and they don't have the range specialist suppliers have.



                                Freedom at the point of zero............

                                Comment

                                Latest Activity

                                Collapse

                                Working...
                                X