Kitchen Worktop Suitable for Student Property?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitchen Worktop Suitable for Student Property?

I'm considering replacing a low-quality kitchen work surface (in a student rental property) with a more robust one. Not sure if it's worth forking out for one of the newer types which have a 3mm layer of acrylic and minerals (?) bonded to a chipboard base, but the cheap ones just seem to swell up if anywhere near a dishwasher/water (which is why we are replacing the existing one).

Any recommendations for ones anyone has found to be hardwearing and good value - preferably with some idea of unit price - welcome!

Thanks in advance.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
    the cheap ones just seem to swell up if anywhere near a dishwasher/water (which is why we are replacing the existing one).
    To be honest that's more about poor fitting/sealing than the cost of the worktop. The trick is to make sure any cut surfaces (eg at the back, joints, or at cut outs for a sink) are painted with something appropriate (eg polyurethane varnish) to seal them while fitting. Not something most fitters would bother doing.

In other words, I'd keep to the cheapo ones!

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
      To be honest that's more about poor fitting/sealing than the cost of the worktop. The trick is to make sure any cut surfaces (eg at the back, joints, or at cut outs for a sink) are painted with something appropriate (eg polyurethane varnish) to seal them while fitting. Not something most fitters would bother doing.

In other words, I'd keep to the cheapo ones!
      Thanks, Eric. Yes, I know what you mean. But it was the underneath of the worktop, directly above the dishwasher, which swelled up. Do you think it would work to paint several coats of yacht varnish on the underside before fitting it?
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks, Eric. Yes, I know what you mean. But it was the underneath of the worktop, directly above the dishwasher, which swelled up. Do you think it would work to paint several coats of yacht varnish on the underside before fitting it?

The problem is simple to solve : remove the dishwasher, or at least tell him/her to wash up in the sink and no where else
        A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
        W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
          The problem is simple to solve : remove the dishwasher, or at least tell him/her to wash up in the sink and no where else
          You are forgetting that the 'washing-up function' in students' hands/arms is largely vestigial these days. And no doubt if they did use the sink they would slop so much water over the side the entire work surface would swell, not just the bit above the dishwasher.

Come on, you can surely do better than that?

Comment

Where's the water coming from, though? Surely must be coming from above somewhere - seems unlikely a bit of water vapour from opening the dishwasher door would do this. But yes yacht varnish sounds the perfect stuff to me.

Comment

It does sound strange that there’s so much water or condensation from the dishwasher, and that might be worth investigating otherwise the carcases may also start to fail.

A vent could possibly be added?

Yacht varnish is often for internal use only and will breakdown with regular warm water vapour contact. It might be worth using thick polythene sheet and sticking it to the underside of the worktop using something like strong double sided tape.
              I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
                It does sound strange that there’s so much water or condensation from the dishwasher, and that might be worth investigating otherwise the carcases may also start to fail.
                I assume it's steam condensing, but we have the same make of dishwasher in our own home and it's not a problem. Having said that the kitchen worktop is thicker and the laminated surface seems to extend further round the underside than the one in the student property.

They tell me they rarely open the dishwasher door mid-cycle (which would release a lot of steam), but perhaps a vent might be an idea.

Or a worktop made out of concrete paving slabs

Comment

Did someone say "concrete worktops"? Don't be daft...

http://www.concreations.co.uk/images...iggs/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
                    Did someone say "concrete worktops"? Don't be daft...

http://www.concreations.co.uk/images...iggs/index.htm
                    Er...yes! Sadly, beautiful as it is, it's a bit out of my budget! Funny how it's concrete when it's cheap but becomes 'granite amalgam' when it's £1,500 per metre!

When I said 'paving slabs', I really meant paving slabs! We have a load of spare ones in the garden and I doubt the students could inflict much damage on them - could they?

Comment

Crazy paving worktop ?
                      A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                      W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                        Crazy paving worktop ?
                        Now there's an idea. A whole new concept in 1970s kitsch! I could make a fortune.

Comment

I think there's something wrong with the dishwasher. Or ventilation - do you have a humidistat-fitted extractor fan in the kitchen?

I'd stick to cheapo worktops. Easy and cheap to replace.

Best kitchen surface I ever had was my last house which had an early 1980s kitchen with "quarry tiles" on the worksurfaces as well as the floor. Problem is, these are set onto chipboard, as would be your paving stones.

Comment

worktop for student flats

we tend to use howden's; or selco.

Comment

Why not make them work on the floor? That's where everything ends up anyway according to the majority of your 'student 'posts.
                              I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X