Landlord checks (EPC etc.) for new lettings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord checks (EPC etc.) for new lettings

hi there, my tenant of 3 years is moving out and am in process of reletting. lots of regulations have come in recently. just wanted to check what I need to do these days. need to do tenancy deposit scheme and also get an energy performance certificate. does anybody have any recommendations where to go for these and how much I would expect to pay. also if I get energy certificate would I be able to use this if I decide to sell the house later on. how long are there valid for? also with regards costs of drawing up contract and doing reference checks could these costs be passed onto the new tenant for moving in as could be quite costly if these are done every 6 months?

any advice/info welcome.

many thanks

guess I need a checklist of all the things I'm required to do as a landlord now.

in reply to recomendations. what part of the country are you in?

Comment

Originally posted by sammy07 View Post
      need to do tenancy deposit scheme and also get an energy performance certificate.
      Read up on the deposit schemes and choose a company. EPC's: get three quotes.

also if I get energy certificate would I be able to use this if I decide to sell the house later on. how long are there valid for?
      5 years.

also with regards costs of drawing up contract and doing reference checks could these costs be passed onto the new tenant for moving in as could be quite costly if these are done every 6 months?
      The costs could be passed on the tenant, but the cost would be minimal if you already have an AST. Also, a new AST does not have to be issued every 6 months for the same tenant's; the tenancy may just run on after the fixed period as a periodic tenancy.

guess I need a checklist of all the things I'm required to do as a landlord now.
      Yes, and you need to understand your obligations as a LL as well as the tenants'.

This may help in the initial stages of finding new tenant's: Tenant Checks & References
      The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Energy Performance Certificates on a rental property are actually valid for 10 years not 5.

If you decide the sell the property you will need a HIP which includes the EPC - it wont make any difference financially or to the provider whether you have one already as it part and parcel of the HIP. This of course depends on whether Mr Cameron moves house in the near future

Comment

energy performance certificate. does anybody have any recommendations where to go for these and how much I would expect to pay
          I have had mine done by a local bloke who advertises in the suppliers list on this forum (see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/dir/energy-assessors.htm

Price depends on size of property; certainly worth shopping around as it can be quite variable. Getting an EPC done is one area where you can really just choose by price alone, in order to obtain a worthless bit of paper which has never yet sparked any interest whatsoever in any tenant or applicant I've ever had!

Comment

EPCs are valid for 10 years (for a residential rental property) and can be reused as required within this period. But, if a newer EPC is produced within this 10 year period, only the most recent one is valid.

Also, the EPC and recommendation report must be made available free of charge by a landlord to any prospective tenant at the earliest opportunity, e.g. when a viewing is conducted; and no later than before entering into a tenancy agreement.

Failure by a landlord to provide an EPC may result in a fixed penalty notice of £200 (by Trading Standards).

How long will a HIP be valid for?
            An EPC is one of the compulsory documents which must be included in the HIP. If a seller decides to take their property off the market, they can put it back on the market with the same HIP as long as this happens within 12 months of the date when the property was first put up for sale. EPCs are valid for three years but searches and proof of title documents cannot be more than three months old when marketing starts.
            The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

in exeter devon

Comment

Hi, you can buy these online at a fixed price of £59 with our site. We also offer the whole package for advertising, gas safe checks etc - it's like using a high street letting agency without the price tag. Don't want to spam so email me if you want further details: sam@virtualletz.com

Comment

You could consider joining one of the landlords' associations - RLA or NLA. They provide help in terms of advice and documentation.

e.g. Here's a page of forms/factsheets, including "10 legal musts for landlords"
                  http://www.rla.org.uk/landlord/docum...t_centre.shtml

http://www.landlords.org.uk/index.htm
                  http://www.rla.org.uk/

Alternatively, there is Landlord Law, which is run by a speclalist landlord & tenant solicitor.

http://www.landlordlaw.co.uk/

I'm not a member of any of them, so can't tell you strengths/weaknesses of each. I get the impression from discussions on here that it's more about finding the one which suits your needs best.

Comment

I'm not too impressed with the Energy Performance Certificate we received when we bought our house a few months ago.

It says against "cavity wall insulation" ...... "assumed" (which I believe was due to the age of house which was built in 1993.)

I spoke to some neighbours and they say they're sure they don't have c.w.i. and then I noticed another neighbour having it put in recently.:

So I spoke to the housebuilders and was told it definitely didn't have it when it was built.

SO that means that the figures quoted on our EPC are incorrect. The rest of it just talks about energy saving lightbulbs and more modern storage heaters.
                    Are these certificates worth the paper they're written on?

Comment

Originally posted by Twohoots View Post
                      I'm not too impressed with the Energy Performance Certificate we received when we bought our house a few months ago.

It says against "cavity wall insulation" ...... "assumed" (which I believe was due to the age of house which was built in 1993.)

I spoke to some neighbours and they say they're sure they don't have c.w.i. and then I noticed another neighbour having it put in recently.:

So I spoke to the housebuilders and was told it definitely didn't have it when it was built.

SO that means that the figures quoted on our EPC are incorrect. The rest of it just talks about energy saving lightbulbs and more modern storage heaters.
                      Calm down and stop being ridiculous. That's a bit like saying that school reports are all worthless because one teacher got one test result wrong in one subject!

Contact the DEA who did the assessment on site and ask him to re-calculate the energy efficiency rating and re-issue the certificate for free. (Your rating will go down).

Then look at the recommendations for improvements. They only suggest things which are cost effective within 5 years or so. It may be that apart from the cavity wall insulation, it is quite efficient anyway - hence the limited scope for improvement.
                      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Twohoots View Post
                        I'm not too impressed with the Energy Performance Certificate we received when we bought our house a few months ago...
                        No, although mind the gap will tell you otherwise.
                        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                          No, although mind the gap will tell you otherwise.
                          Er...like I did in #11 above, you mean?
                          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                            Er...like I did in #11 above, you mean?
                            Not 'will' as 'is going to'
                            but 'will' as in 'always maintains that'.

Be more pragmatic!
                            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                              Not 'will' as 'is going to'
                              but 'will' as in 'always maintains that'.

Be more pragmatic!
                              No. You mean : 'Be less literal'.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New EPC is nonsense
                                JK0
                                I don't know whether to be happy or sad about the recent EPC I've received. I bet mine's the only flat in England with storage heaters scoring a B!

My tenant who was there for nine years used about 4000 day units and 4000 night units per year. In the year I have been pottering around repairing...
                                25-06-2019, 11:47 AM
                              • Reply to New EPC is nonsense
                                dazwalsh
                                In my experience, half the tenants dont know what an EPC is, the other half couldn't give a monkeys.
                                04-07-2019, 22:25 PM
                              • Problems with Re-roof
                                mgt
                                I own a Victorian terrace BTL which had a knackered slate roof. I accepted an estimate from a contractor recommended by the managing agent for a re-roof. The estimate drew attention to a number of changes eg a dry, maintenance free joint on the ridge tiles, use of substitute lead flashing. The work...
                                18-06-2019, 04:36 AM
                              • Reply to Problems with Re-roof
                                Interlaken
                                Does anyone roof in Welsh slate these days except mainly on listed buildings? I have had experience of Chinese slate in the 1980's ( irregular thickness) and synthetic slate which is pretty good IMO. Marley moderns are heavy and do check out your joists but the closed ridge system that can be fitted...
                                03-07-2019, 10:48 AM
                                buzzard1994
                                Many years since I reroofed a slate roof - but I used artificial slate then, Welsh slate was ridiculously expensive and therefore only likely to used for listed buildings. The old slates certainly had value. If the tiles are too heavy and the roof needs to be stripped fibre cement slates are light.and...
                                01-07-2019, 21:56 PM
                                tlangdon12
                                I wanted to write something more about how to remedy the situation:

Best approach to remedying the situation is likely to be get the structural report done asap, if the tiles are too heavy, negotiate with the contractor to strip the roof and install the correct slates. I expect you will...
                                30-06-2019, 18:41 PM
                                tlangdon12
                                Bluebonnie's warning is important and useful. If the roof isn't strong enough for the new tiles, you probably have a claim against the roofing contractor under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. As this requires the goods to be fit for their purpose AND the service to be done with reasonable...
                                30-06-2019, 18:23 PM
                                JK0
                                Oh, that's an interesting explanation Blinko. You mean that the flat is big enough for three people, so the energy cost mentioned on the EPC is per person? That's a bit mad though, isn't it? ...
                                26-06-2019, 18:24 PM
                                blinko
                                I don't forget these things are theoretical so a one bedroom flat might theoretically in a calculation terms be two people where is reality could be one for two bedroom it could be two adults and two small children
                                26-06-2019, 18:19 PM
                                JK0
                                Thanks Sam. That is interesting. Even two neighbours on my landing with gas heating only manage a C.

I think I'll just have to tell prospective tenants that the EPC is a load of coblers, and to take the three year cost to be one year.
                                25-06-2019, 19:32 PM
                              Working...
                              X