Improve EPC by changing light bulbs (and back again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improve EPC by changing light bulbs (and back again)

I need an EPC for flat before I let it.
    I heard that to get a good rating it is worthwhile changing all the bulbs to low energy ones. Then switch them back after the certificate is granted. Thus you have a more attractive rating set for 10 years at little outlay.
    Thoughts?

You asked for thoughts! Well I'm thinking you must be a penny pinching git.
    No offence intended, you did ask!
    I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

Titter,
      What I mean is, in my experience tenants often prefer the old fashioned bulbs anyway. So have a set of low energy ones to use before you get a cert to get a better rating. Obviously I would leave them there if I thought they would stay and be used. Its a Victorian house with no wall insulation although the boiler is fairly new and has DGL.Tis Gnd floor also so no roof to insulate.

Comment

Originally posted by geester24 View Post
        I need an EPC for flat before I let it.
        I heard that to get a good rating it is worthwhile changing all the bulbs to low energy ones.
        Yes, I did this, and kept them in for the tenants, so they would have lower leccy bills.

Then switch them back after the certificate is granted. Thus you have a more attractive rating set for 10 years at little outlay.
        Oh dear...

Thoughts?
        Miserly landlord.

in my experience tenants often prefer the old fashioned bulbs anyway.
        Ask 'em first to find out if they'd like to reduce their bills or not...

In my experience, tenants (and anyone else for that matter) likes lower bills.
        The information in my posts is provided 'as is'. This is not intended to be legal advice. Legal or other professional advice should be sought before acting or relying on this information or any part of it. I will not be held responsible for loss or damage arising from errors in the information or the way in which a person uses the information on this . For more information on your query use the '' link at the top of this page. Agreements, Forms & Notices can be found .

Comment

Titter,
          What I mean is, in my experience tenants often prefer the old fashioned bulbs anyway. So have a set of low energy ones to use before you get a cert to get a better rating. Obviously I would leave them there if I thought they would stay and be used. Its a Victorian house with no wall insulation although the boiler is fairly new and has DGL.Tis Gnd floor also so no roof to insulate.

Not waving, but drowning.

I am struggling to believe the sentence I have emboldened.

It would be difficult to post a more cynical and less environmentally-friendly sentiment unless you were Jeremy Clarkson or Sportingdad.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

improving insulation - solid walls

try sempatap thick latex wallpaper on a roll about quarter of an inch thick. good results. Not advertising it, just have found it excellent myself! EPC assessors should be shown the blurb so that they know what it is. Local authorities use it and call it magic wallpaper..

Comment

Originally posted by geester24
              Obviously I would leave them there if I thought they would stay and be used.
              (Stroking chin thoughtfully) Will tenants require lit rooms when the sun goes down? Tough one.

Comment

LE bulbs are practically given away nowadays - FREE fron most energy suppliers for the sake of asking !

The effort and energy to change them all back again will probably cost you more in Weetabix to replace the mis-spent enegy than the bulbs cost !

I have occupancy PIR sensors fitted in most hallways, landings, bathrooms, toilets cupboards etc. Show me a T that doesn't like to save money !

That said, I do agree that the light given off is pretty bad, apparently causes many people to becomes drowsy and get headaches, so just leave the old incandescent bulbs in the cupboard.

In order to assist in your personal contribution to saving the planet stop eating beans.
                A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                W.Churchill

Comment

also I believe from our EPC assessor that by using energy saving bulbs this only increase % by about 2% and a higher % increase is needed in order to change the rating to a higher value (i.e from C to B to example).

Why not just put them in anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Poppy35 View Post
                    also I believe from our EPC assessor that by using energy saving bulbs this only increase % by about 2% and a higher % increase is needed in order to change the rating to a higher value (i.e from C to B to example).

Why not just put them in anyway?
                    Because they're less bright and slower?
                    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Changing lightbulbs back to incandescent after EPC

I think this is very unwise.

The T could argue that he was induced into the letting fraudulently in as much as the EPC did not correctly describe the relelvant energy usage profile. You are much better off to focus on how to make your tenants more comfortable and happy with the proposition you have available for rent.

The happier they are, the more likely they will be long term renters, which is much more important than the question of a fraction of a weeks' rent on new style lightbulbs.

You may be unaware that you can now write off against tax £1500 spent on energy improvements. Energy is likely to remain expensive. Go forth and insulate!

Comment

Landlords Energy Savings allowance limited to:
                        • Loft insulation
                        • Cavity wall insulation
                        • Solid wall insulation
                        • Draught proofing
                        • Insulating hot water systems
                        • Floor insulation

Comment

Originally posted by subjecttocontract View Post
                          Landlords Energy Savings allowance limited to:
                          • Loft insulation
                          • Cavity wall insulation
                          • Solid wall insulation
                          • Draught proofing
                          • Insulating hot water systems
                          • Floor insulation
                          Limited to? That's a bit 'glass half empty'! Sounds pretty generous to me. It's all the energy-effciency measures which make the most difference, relative to their cost.

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!
                          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Limited to? That's a bit 'glass half empty'! Sounds pretty generous to me.

Yes, but I used the term 'limited' because it doesn't include the low energy light bulbs which was the subject of the orginal post.

I'm sorry my grammer didn't meet the standards required to avoid your sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by subjecttocontract View Post
                              Limited to? That's a bit 'glass half empty'! Sounds pretty generous to me.

Yes, but I used the term 'limited' because it doesn't include the low energy light bulbs which was the subject of the orginal post.

I'm sorry my grammer didn't meet the standards required to avoid your sarcasm.
                              You misread the tone of my post: surprise rather than sarcasm, because, as others have pointed out, energy-saving light bulbs are not horribly expensive anyway. The other items on your 'limited' list would involve a greater outlay.

(You grammar seems fine to me BTW )

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X