Improve EPC by changing light bulbs (and back again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improve EPC by installing double glazing

Although double glazing does not qualify for LESA the revenue are, I gather apparently more disposed nowadays toward treating double glazing as a revenue item than a capital item as double glazing is an efficacious means of "repairing/renewing" rotted timber or corroded metal single glazing systems which are beyond economic repair.

Comment

Its better than that.....double glazing IS a revenue item.

Part of the driver for this is that its virtually impossible to buy single glazed replacement windows.

Comment

Originally posted by subjecttocontract View Post
        Part of the driver for this is that its virtually impossible to buy single glazed replacement windows.
        Yes. See my posts towards the end of this thread: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums...hlight=glazing
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by geester24 View Post
          I need an EPC for flat before I let it.
          I heard that to get a good rating it is worthwhile changing all the bulbs to low energy ones. Then switch them back after the certificate is granted. Thus you have a more attractive rating set for 10 years at little outlay.
          Thoughts?
          Seems eminently sensible. I've only one LE bulb in my own house - that's a light which is never switched off.

LE bulbs are con, the energy they "waste" is heat which means lower heating bills. Plus of course the vast majority can't be dimmed.

If LE bulbs are so good why did government have to ban filament bulbs? Surely if they were so good market forces would ensure demise of them. I've got a stock of 150W bulbs, enough to last longer than I do

PS In a similar vein you can put Optimax (now V-power) petrol in your car prior to the emmissions test.

Comment

Originally posted by bullybantam View Post
            LE bulbs are con, the energy they "waste" is heat which means lower heating bills.
            (a) The majority of light bulbs are at ceiling height; hot air rises; so any beneficial heating effect is going to be to a band of air above head height

(b) In this country most people switch off their heating for a goodly chunk of the year, so it can hardly be argued that 'lower heating bills' is a benefit then.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericthelobster View Post
              most people switch off their heating for a goodly chunk of the year, so it can hardly be argued that 'lower heating bills' is a benefit then.
              No, some do- but they're probably a minority. Roll on so-called Global Warming!
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

(a) The majority of light bulbs are at ceiling height; hot air rises; so any beneficial heating effect is going to be to a band of air above head height
                Underfloor lighting !
                A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                  Underfloor lighting !
                  Provided by the Electricity (floor)Boards.

Comment

(b) In this country most people switch off their heating for a goodly chunk of the year, so it can hardly be argued that 'lower heating bills' is a benefit then.
                    Yes. Relying on the heat from electric light bulbs to boost or provide space heating is always going to be more expensive than having energy-saving light bulbs and heating the space conventionally, e.g. by a gas central heating system. It is a silly suggestion.
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I read this thread every now and again - what is wrong with leaving the bulbs in?

Comment

I look low energy light bulbs.

When I moved into my own (rented) property nine years ago, the LL had kindly left only two bulbs in all the fittings in the flat (there were four fittings). I went out that day and bought four low energy bulbs.

When I moved to my present (long lease) flat I took them all, and replaced them with two 'older-type' bulbs, buying a couple more for the new larger flat.

I've only had to replace two blown bulbs in the last nine years.

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                          Yes. Relying on the heat from electric light bulbs to boost or provide space heating is always going to be more expensive than having energy-saving light bulbs and heating the space conventionally, e.g. by a gas central heating system. It is a silly suggestion.
                          While I have no doubt what you are saying is correct in terms of heating (who, after all, would rely on their lights to heat a house???) I have to say that light bulbs are a reasonably efficient form of heating, because of the fact that they are inefficient as light bulbs (e.g., a large proportion of the electricity consumed is converted into heat (which is wasted), not light).

From wikipedia:

Some applications of the incandescent bulb make use of the heat generated, such as incubators, brooding boxes for poultry, heat lights for reptile tanks [1][2], infrared heating for industrial heating and drying processes, and the Easy-Bake Oven toy. In cold weather the heat shed by incandescent lamps contributes to building heating, but in hot climates lamp losses increase the energy used by air conditioning systems.
                          Liability statement. My liability to you is not to exceed the amount you are paying for my recommendations or advice.

I see a bright new future, where chickens can cross the road with no fear of having their motives questioned

Comment

LE bulbs are poor at lighting.
                            All posts in good faith, but do not rely on them

You can search the forums here:

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
                              I’ve tried to find the report I read but I couldn’t, so this is just from memory.

Anyway, it said that the equivalent ratings given for low energy bulbs in Europe are much higher than that used in the USA. The ratio in Europe is 1:5, whereas in the USA it is 1:3.

So to achieve the equivalent of a 60W bulb in Europe, you are told to buy a 12W low energy bulb, whereas in the USA you would be told to buy a 20W low energy bulb. This is why everyone complains about the low light output.

Now when we buy low energy bulbs, we buy bulbs that are rated at a third of the incandescent bulb we are replacing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bel View Post
                                Indeed so.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...im-future.html

Plus of course most can't be dimmed, take ages to warm up and contain toxic chemicals.

BTW You can still buy proper light bulbs. The ban is for "domestic" use, many electrical wholesalers sell them for industrial use.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                                X