This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy Efficiency/EPC, Design, Repair, Improve - Scope of Forum

This Forum originally related just to Home Information Packs (HIPs). With the abolition of these, and at members' request, it has been extended to:
    Energy Efficiency
    Energy Performance Certificates
    Design of premises (internal, not involving Planning matters covered by the 'Planning' Forum)
    Repair upkeep and improvement of premises.

It is also intended to allow questions and debates on those (and associated) matters, whether for Residential or Commercial properties.

However, it is not available for anyone (member or otherwise) to advertise services. Members must remove advertising links from their posts' signature lines or other footers.

All offending threads will be deleted without notice. Anyone wishing to advertise in the proper manner should send a private message to Editor or an e-mail to landlordzone@btinternet.com.
    Last edited by Moderator1; 29-07-2010, 11:37 AM. Reason: Clarify scope of Forum, following recent retitling

Latest Activity

Collapse

• WD40 or Zinsser?
    JK0
    I'm just about to start redecorating the flat where I've been working on the bathrooms. I notice my tenant's daughters have done a lot of drawing on the walls. What's the best thing to do about this? Scrub each bit with WD40, or paint over the drawing with Zinsser?
    04-12-2018, 21:20 PM
  • Reply to WD40 or Zinsser?
    Jon66
    However, now having used it, be careful that it comes out the correct colour. Although it was 'colour matched' in reality it came up a couple of shades darker, not helped by a differently lit room, but was remedied by Brewers adding more white, which was better for the second coat! I suspect this is...
    14-12-2018, 19:13 PM
  • German hobs
    JK0
    I think I just made an expensive mistake. I ordered a nice 2nd hand Miele hob from this ebay store in Germany. Looking more closely at it, the lead has a plug with 11(!) connections in it, and I can't see any controls on the hob itself. I get the impression that hobs in German homes have a separate...
    Follow kochfeldhandel on eBay. Buying, Selling, Collecting on eBay has never been more exciting!
    14-12-2018, 12:57 PM
    Jon66
    Brewers, or Johnstones will mix perma white to your required colour providing its an off white like magnolia or ivory. Just had it colour matched to subtle ivory at Brewers.
    13-12-2018, 00:48 AM
  • Tenants don't understand E7
    JK0
    Not sure there is any solution to this problem, but maybe someone will have a suggestion:

Most of my rental properties are on Economy 7 heating. There is a timeswitch in the airing cupboard controlling the immersion heaters. The lower one is meant to be used overnight, with the upper one...
    03-02-2015, 21:05 PM
  • Reply to Tenants don't understand E7
    Accidental_LI_LL
    I think your problem lies with the fact the majority of people who are clued up enough to understand the things would probably avoid renting a property that had them.... The result being you end up with people who will never understand more than the £££ on their electricity bill - they'll panic when...
    12-12-2018, 22:14 PM
    Accidental_LI_LL
    I wouldn't be keen on using wd40, Can see it easily soaking into plaster leaving you needing to use stain block before repainting

If you're redecorating hit it with sandpaper then paint?
    12-12-2018, 20:34 PM
    leaseholder64
    The solvent in WD40 will probably work on spirit marker pens, but graphite and clay don't dissolve. If the surface will take it, a vinyl eraser is probably best for ordinary pencil.
    07-12-2018, 01:00 AM
    JK0
    Ah, tried WD40 on a small area of pencil today. Strangely it did nothing. Will sugar soap all the walls, and then use Zinsser BIN.

BTW, last year I bought some Magnolia tinted Zinsser Perma-White to paint a kitchen walls. This no longer seems to be around. I can only find white Perma-White....
    07-12-2018, 00:22 AM
  • Reply to Tenants don't understand E7
    JK0
    I just got back from one of my properties where I replaced the hob for my tenant of 6 years. The place was virtually steaming, it was so hot in there. I had to keep mopping my brow. This place has weather sensitive storage heaters, and is also on SSE's flexiheat tariff. This gives them a two hour boost...
    05-12-2018, 13:57 PM
Working...
X