Lettings company's free EPCs (north-east England)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lettings company's free EPCs (north-east England)

My lettings company are now offering landlords free energy performance certificates for new rental properties.

Ben
    Last edited by Editor; 22-05-2009, 11:17 AM.

Nothing is free - somebody somewhere has to pay for these and it would appear that you have simply been over-charging for HIPS? - not very customer focused. I hope you don't overcharge your customers for all your services as part of a cheap marketing trick.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by cymro123 View Post
      Nothing is free - somebody somewhere has to pay for these and it would appear that you have simply been over-charging for HIPS? - not very customer focused. I hope you don't overcharge your customers for all your services as part of a cheap marketing trick.

Tom
      Hip packs are £200 + VAT..

Cheapest in the north east (independantly), we take £57.50 from each pack to cover the epc which is cheap as chips imo..

We can do this as all of our staff are fully qualified energy assessors. Basically we are offering these for free to show our customer focus and service.

Comment

Originally posted by nebsafc View Post

Cheapest in the north east (independantly), we take £57.50 from each pack to cover the epc which is cheap as chips imo..

We can do this as all of our staff are fully qualified energy assessors. Basically we are offering these for free to show our customer focus and service.
        HIPS as cheap as CHIPS? Hope the chips have pins.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          HIPS as cheap as CHIPS? Hope the chips have pins.
          compared to the £350 + Halifax are charging, i think it is rather reasonable..

Comment

There is no such thing as a free lunch.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
              Do you mean 'Tanstaafl'? There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
              originating in the 1940s and later popularized by science fiction writer Robert A. Heinlein in his 1966 novel 'The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress.'

MTG, you really have to brush up on your slang!

Yeah yeah, I can see the double neg as well.
              I offer no guarantee that anything I say is correct. wysiwyg

Comment

As a teacher, you know that poorer pupils do qualify for just that!
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by nebsafc View Post

£40 seems to be going rate .......(inc Vat)...
                  A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                  W.Churchill

Comment

nebsafc : I challenge you to explain exactly how you show your customer focus.

It doesn't even seem to make sense, but I'm willing to be enlightened.
                    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

As a teacher, you know that poorer pupils do qualify for just that!
                      Wrong, I'm afraid. It is not the pupils who are poor, but their parents.

And the lunch is not free, so much as subsidised.

Comment

Or perhaps the pupils impoverish their parents, by insisting on designer goods which someone has to provide for £££ (unless by theft). All of this would be less likely (although still possible) if only the pupil had two parents co-resident at his or her home- again not nowdays a given.

Comment

And the lunch is not free, so much as subsidised.
                          As politicians will tell you, there's no such thing as a free lunch*- although several of them do seem to enjoy many such.

*- here's the origins: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/tanstaafl.html

Comment

Or perhaps the pupils impoverish their parents, by insisting on designer goods which someone has to provide for £££ (unless by theft). All of this would be less likely (although still possible) if only the pupil had two parents co-resident at his or her home- again not nowdays a given.
                            Household income has to be well below the national average for entitlement to subsidised lunches to kick in and I think you are being uncharacteristically sweeping in your assumptions here about recipeints of 'free school meals'. My experience over many years is that the pupils who benefit from such subsidies are as likely to have two parents as one, and they are the children who are least likely to be wearing designer label clothing, be in possession of the latest mobile phone or go on holidays to Tenerife.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Comment

Most children do have two parents, I'll allow.
                              Where these actually are (esp. recalcitrant fathers not enthusiastic about CSA demands) is quite another question.
                              Me, make sweeping statements? As if I ever do that...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New EPC is nonsense
                                JK0
                                I don't know whether to be happy or sad about the recent EPC I've received. I bet mine's the only flat in England with storage heaters scoring a B!

My tenant who was there for nine years used about 4000 day units and 4000 night units per year. In the year I have been pottering around repairing...
                                25-06-2019, 11:47 AM
                              • Reply to New EPC is nonsense
                                JK0
                                Thanks Sam. That is interesting. Even two neighbours on my landing with gas heating only manage a C.

I think I'll just have to tell prospective tenants that the EPC is a load of coblers, and to take the three year cost to be one year.
                                25-06-2019, 19:32 PM
                              • Reply to New EPC is nonsense
                                sam_cat
                                Get a second opinion?
                                Seems crazy, it should be as simple as them putting some numbers into their program and it gives the result...

You can use postcode search on the EPC site to view neighbouring properties, have a look at what neighbours have had.
                                https://www.epcregister...
                                25-06-2019, 12:19 PM
                              • Problems with Re-roof
                                mgt
                                I own a Victorian terrace BTL which had a knackered slate roof. I accepted an estimate from a contractor recommended by the managing agent for a re-roof. The estimate drew attention to a number of changes eg a dry, maintenance free joint on the ridge tiles, use of substitute lead flashing. The work...
                                18-06-2019, 04:36 AM
                              • Reply to Problems with Re-roof
                                bluebonnie
                                Beware the effect these "modern" tiles may have on the roof timbers.

We had a similar job passed off on the roof of a let property some years ago: welsh slates replaced with concrete tiles, invisible from ground level because of an intervening parapet concealing the "london...
                                23-06-2019, 21:37 PM
                                mgt
                                TBF this agent is pretty good, but agree tradesmen do seem to think rental properties merit a lesser job, although they often tell me 'most landlords don't want to spend too much'. In this case the problem is that I never for a moment considered any reputable contractor would do anything other than...
                                20-06-2019, 14:06 PM
                                AlexR
                                I have found that tradespeople, and to a degree Agents, view any work to be done on a tenanted property as a job to be done as cheaply as possible. It's probably because most landlords just want to fix the house and get it let as quickly and cheaply as possible. I imagine there is quite a difference...
                                20-06-2019, 09:12 AM
                                mgt
                                The quote said 'strip defective roof tiles..new tiles to be laid style and colour to be agreed', which is why I didn't question it, and I didn't agree to anything - but the work was being done at distance through an agent. It mentioned a number of differences eg in the ridge tiles, use of plastic verges...
                                20-06-2019, 04:40 AM
                                leaseholder64
                                What did the specification say? What, other than the price, did the quote say?

If you want something specific, especially if it is a more expensive option, you need to provide a detailed specification. That may involve paying a surveyor to produce it.
                                18-06-2019, 10:07 AM
                              • EPC: C by 2030...prepare
                                JK0
                                Anyone with a property unlikely to make a C by 2030, might want to get one before the end of 2019. Assuming you can scrape a 'D' now, you then can let your property freely for the next ten years.

'But what happens in 2030, JK0?' you ask.

Well then, your 2019 EPC will have expired,...
                                12-06-2019, 20:51 PM
                              Working...
                              X