EPC by Leaseholder Subletting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPC by Leaseholder Subletting

As The Freeholder am I entitled to see if the leaseholder of one of the flats in a block of 12 has an EPC certificate? As the lease is 50 years old there is obviously nothing in there refering to it.

As far as I see it, it is not my responsibility and unless in effects our insurance etc it is not really my concern.

No. There's no need for the freeholder to see the EPC. It's for the prospective tenants' benefit.

I don't see how it affects the block's insurance. I presume that you are responsible for the building's upkeep and if you require a report to assist you in that task you ought to commission it and claim the cost through the service charge.

Are you interested in seeing it because you own a similar flat in the block? Why not ask nicely to flick through it.

Comment

Many thanks for your reply.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New EPC is nonsense
        JK0
        I don't know whether to be happy or sad about the recent EPC I've received. I bet mine's the only flat in England with storage heaters scoring a B!

My tenant who was there for nine years used about 4000 day units and 4000 night units per year. In the year I have been pottering around repairing...
        25-06-2019, 11:47 AM
      • Reply to New EPC is nonsense
        JK0
        Thanks Sam. That is interesting. Even two neighbours on my landing with gas heating only manage a C.

I think I'll just have to tell prospective tenants that the EPC is a load of coblers, and to take the three year cost to be one year.
        25-06-2019, 19:32 PM
      • Reply to New EPC is nonsense
        sam_cat
        Get a second opinion?
        Seems crazy, it should be as simple as them putting some numbers into their program and it gives the result...

You can use postcode search on the EPC site to view neighbouring properties, have a look at what neighbours have had.
        https://www.epcregister...
        25-06-2019, 12:19 PM
      • Problems with Re-roof
        mgt
        I own a Victorian terrace BTL which had a knackered slate roof. I accepted an estimate from a contractor recommended by the managing agent for a re-roof. The estimate drew attention to a number of changes eg a dry, maintenance free joint on the ridge tiles, use of substitute lead flashing. The work...
        18-06-2019, 04:36 AM
      • Reply to Problems with Re-roof
        bluebonnie
        Beware the effect these "modern" tiles may have on the roof timbers.

We had a similar job passed off on the roof of a let property some years ago: welsh slates replaced with concrete tiles, invisible from ground level because of an intervening parapet concealing the "london...
        23-06-2019, 21:37 PM
        mgt
        TBF this agent is pretty good, but agree tradesmen do seem to think rental properties merit a lesser job, although they often tell me 'most landlords don't want to spend too much'. In this case the problem is that I never for a moment considered any reputable contractor would do anything other than...
        20-06-2019, 14:06 PM
        AlexR
        I have found that tradespeople, and to a degree Agents, view any work to be done on a tenanted property as a job to be done as cheaply as possible. It's probably because most landlords just want to fix the house and get it let as quickly and cheaply as possible. I imagine there is quite a difference...
        20-06-2019, 09:12 AM
        mgt
        The quote said 'strip defective roof tiles..new tiles to be laid style and colour to be agreed', which is why I didn't question it, and I didn't agree to anything - but the work was being done at distance through an agent. It mentioned a number of differences eg in the ridge tiles, use of plastic verges...
        20-06-2019, 04:40 AM
        leaseholder64
        What did the specification say? What, other than the price, did the quote say?

If you want something specific, especially if it is a more expensive option, you need to provide a detailed specification. That may involve paying a surveyor to produce it.
        18-06-2019, 10:07 AM
      • EPC: C by 2030...prepare
        JK0
        Anyone with a property unlikely to make a C by 2030, might want to get one before the end of 2019. Assuming you can scrape a 'D' now, you then can let your property freely for the next ten years.

'But what happens in 2030, JK0?' you ask.

Well then, your 2019 EPC will have expired,...
        12-06-2019, 20:51 PM
      Working...
      X