EPCs - Property Particulars & Letting Lists!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPCs - Property Particulars & Letting Lists!

Hello budding EPC enthusiasts. I am hoping one of you will be able to answer this question?

Do letting agents have to advertise the EPC graphs on the Rental Property Particulars and further more, on the Property Letting Lists that are handed out to potential tenants?

Are there any letting agents out there currently doing this?

Answers on a postcard...

Thanks
    lettingaproperty.com
    Nationwide Online Letting Agent
    0844 567 0578

Originally posted by LettingaProperty.com View Post
    Hello budding EPC enthusiasts. I am hoping one of you will be able to answer this question?

Do letting agents have to advertise the EPC graphs on the Rental Property Particulars and further more, on the Property Letting Lists that are handed out to potential tenants?

Are there any letting agents out there currently doing this?

Answers on a postcard...

Thanks
    Not sure how you 'advertise a graph'??
    If you mean publish the energy performance rating of the property which is expressed as a percentage (100%, would be carbon-neutral), then the answer is not mandatory in brochures, etc, but useful to help tenants avoid the more expensive to heat, energy-wasting homes.

The whole EPC has to be given to tenants when they move in.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thank you for the response, may I ask for your source?
      lettingaproperty.com
      0844 567 0578

Comment

Originally posted by LettingaProperty.com View Post
        Thank you for the response, may I ask for your source?
        I just know these things. And I know a good DEA. But I expect there's a govt website somewhere which will give you chapter and verse.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Update : apparently I don't know these things! DEA tells me that yes, EPC graphs showing energy 'rating' of house (like the ones you get on fridges, etc) must be made available to prospective tenants, (as well as ones who have moved in).

Humblest grovellings.

Comment

In 25 years no one has ever asked me what the energy perfomance of a property is! Its like the drag co-efficient of a car - has to be published but no one really cares.

I've just has one done on an old Victorian property - it came out with F on both ratings - yet the temperature rarely drops below 60 degrees C inside because of its location and the amout of glass over the front of the building; the last tenant paid under £100 last year for heating costs during the winter. Yet the recommendation was to change the 3 yr old storage heaters for fan assisted storage heaters at a cost of £2600 to save £11 and .2 tonnes of carbon per annum!!
            My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Please see below for the The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007

basically telling you when you have to have an EPC

Providing energy information with particulars

6.—(1) Subject to regulation 7, this regulation applies where—

(a) a building is to be sold or rented out in circumstances where section 155(1) or 159(2) of the Housing Act 2004 imposes a duty on any person in relation to that building;

(b) written particulars about the building are prepared for the purpose of providing information about the building to persons who may be interested in buying or renting the building; and

(c) the written particulars are given to such a person by—

(i) the relevant person; or

(ii) another person on his behalf.

(2) The person giving the particulars must ensure that—

(a) the particulars include the asset rating of the building expressed in the way required by regulation 11(1)(a); or

(b) a copy of an energy performance certificate for the building is attached to the particulars.

(3) In this regulation—

“written particulars” means any written description of the property which includes at least two of the following—
              (a)

a photograph of the building or any room in the building;
              (b)

a floor plan of the building; or
              (c)

a description of the size of the rooms in the building,

and a reference to giving particulars includes a reference to giving or making available particulars electronically.

Hope that helps!

and yes i do like to know the drag co-efficiency of my car, cos im a car geek!
              My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrel View Post
                and yes i do like to know the drag co-efficiency of my car, cos im a car geek!
                Ahh, but did you buy the car based on the drag co-efficient?
                My advice is not based on formal legal training but experience gained in 20+ years in the letting industry.

Comment

Please see below for the The Energy Performance of Buildings (Certificates and Inspections) (England and Wales) Regulations 2007

Providing energy information with particulars

[B]6.—(1) Subject to regulation 7, this regulation applies where—

(a) a building is to be sold or rented out in circumstances where section 155(1) or 159(2) of the Housing Act 2004 imposes a duty on any person in relation to that building;
                  Correct, though this applies to HIP properties.

Pre-HIP properties and rental marketing - there is no legal requirement to advertise with the EPC graph. However, it is described as good practice. The DCLG released guidance on the 9th September regarding this point.

I have confirmed this with government departments in the past and there is a document somewhere though cant find it at present.

This being said, it still requires the FULL EPC to be made available for rental and pre-HIP properties. See here for PRE-HIP requirements

For someone producing an EPC it is not a difficult task to supply an EPC graph in addition to the full EPC. We do it whether needed or not, then it is easily added to particulars.
                  Visit my - news and articles
                  - resources, news and services
                  - information, FAQ and provision

Comment

Originally posted by oaktree View Post
                    In 25 years no one has ever asked me what the energy perfomance of a property is!
                    And I bet 25 years ago nobody ever thought that Gary Glitter would turn out to be an old perv. Or that red phone boxes would disappear from Britain's streets. Or that Thatcher would ever go.

Or that the polar ice-caps would start melting.

Things change.

Comment

Originally posted by oaktree View Post
                      Ahh, but did you buy the car based on the drag co-efficient?
                      No because i realised that one of the best affordable cars to buy with a low drag co-efficiency was a citroen. and i bloody hate french cars
                      My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Thanks Sorrel, that clears it up for me - onward energy efficiency!
                        lettingaproperty.com
                        0844 567 0578

Comment

and i bloody hate french cars
                          Are we allowed to know why?

Comment

Originally posted by mind the gap View Post
                            Are we allowed to know why?
                            Hastings? Agincourt? Trafalgar?
                            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                              Hastings? Agincourt? Trafalgar?
                              Exactly, all of which were mainly fought with Citroens, Renault and Peugeot and the odd Venturi thrown in! The reason why they lost was because half way through their Renault Scenic Megane (which btw was one month outside of its warrantee) blew its head gasket. Causing more damage to the engine bay than the car was now worth!

Being in France at the time you would think they could fix it...we were told by a helpful frog that 'Non, wee cannot feex your lovelee franch car because the 'ole of france are on 'oliday for 2 weeks'

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X