1st October 2008 - EPC reminder to landlords

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhoenixPropertyShop View Post
    Just a general point as well, it is certainly worth checking round for EPC providers, as we have managed to negotiate the services of a local inspector for £40 per property (further reduced to £35 per property where more than 10 are given at once).
    That is a good price!
    lettingaproperty.com
    Nationwide Online Letting Agent
    0844 567 0578

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
      O.K. experts on EPC's, here is one for you: I have had a property empty now for a couple of months awaiting a new tenant. My agent agreed that there should be no need to get an EPC at the time as they anticipated getting a new tenant much more quickly than they have. On the 29th September a new suitable tenant viewed the property and wants to rent it. I am now awaiting references and credit checks before the AST is signed. My agent is not certain whether an EPC is required and the govenrment literature in the matter is very hazy on this point (as would be expected of civil servants keen on justifying their huge salaries and jobs). Anybody got a definitive answer?

P.P.
      I am not an expert however, I would suspect that a) as it was not a legal requirment at the time of the tenant viewing b) the tenant has not asked to see a copy of the EPC and that c) the property was effectivly off the market (I assume that the agent took a holding deposit) prior to the first of October, then I would feel confident myself to suggest that you are not required to have one!
      lettingaproperty.com
      Nationwide Online Letting Agent
      0844 567 0578

Comment

Originally posted by LettingaProperty.com View Post
        I am not an expert however, I would suspect that a) as it was not a legal requirment at the time of the tenant viewing b) the tenant has not asked to see a copy of the EPC and that c) the property was effectivly off the market (I assume that the agent took a holding deposit) prior to the first of October, then I would feel confident myself to suggest that you are not required to have one!
        Whether or not the tenant asked to see it is immaterial. Whether or not there was a holding deposit, likewise.

Given that a tenancy is not deemed to have started before a tenancy agreement is signed OR tenant occupies, and given that these will be after October 1st in your case, I think you need one.
        'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by P.Pilcher View Post
          O.K. experts on EPC's, here is one for you: I have had a property empty now for a couple of months awaiting a new tenant. My agent agreed that there should be no need to get an EPC at the time as they anticipated getting a new tenant much more quickly than they have. On the 29th September a new suitable tenant viewed the property and wants to rent it. I am now awaiting references and credit checks before the AST is signed. My agent is not certain whether an EPC is required and the govenrment literature in the matter is very hazy on this point (as would be expected of civil servants keen on justifying their huge salaries and jobs). Anybody got a definitive answer?

P.P.
          Guy doing mine responded with "only properties being marketed before 1/10 /08 " I asked the same specific Q.

£35 ...i thought i was doing well at £40 .....this includes ALL props from 1 bed flats to 8 bed 3 story HMO's ..tho ..most of mine are large HMO's
          as they do want to take the P charging more for bigger props ......

The Rodent
          A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
          W.Churchill

Comment

Yesterday I spoke to one of my Landlords who lives in Belgium and rents a few properties out in Brussels, to the best of his knowledge no such requirement over there for an EPC, so this "European" law is maybe going to be a British requirement, anybody have experience of other Euro countries
            "Better an empty property than a tenant without a guarantor"

Comment

Originally posted by Sportingdad View Post
              Yesterday I spoke to one of my Landlords who lives in Belgium and rents a few properties out in Brussels, to the best of his knowledge no such requirement over there for an EPC, so this "European" law is maybe going to be a British requirement, anybody have experience of other Euro countries
              I thought that it was a typical Euro-imposed requirement. UK always seems to be over-eager to comply!
              JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
              4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Originally posted by Rodent1 View Post
                Guy doing mine responded with "only properties being marketed before 1/10 /08 " I asked the same specific Q.

£35 ...i thought i was doing well at £40 .....this includes ALL props from 1 bed flats to 8 bed 3 story HMO's ..tho ..most of mine are large HMO's
                as they do want to take the P charging more for bigger props ......

The Rodent

Apologies I meant to say properties marketed AFTER 1/10/08
                A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
                W.Churchill

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X