My first EPC report is a triumph (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first EPC report is a triumph (?)

The property is a one bedroom flat in a listed building. No mains gas supply. Original sash windows. 1 storage heater in the bedroom. 1 storage heater in the living room. Instant hot water for the electric shower.

I have just paid somebody to tell me that the energy efficiency would be improved by double glazing and that storage heaters are not very energy efficient ...and that's it!

I wonder how much trasining you need for this job..............

The claim for increased efficiency through double glazing is controversial. It takes years to recover the installation cost through energy saving. Its very probable that within that time you have to replace the double glazed units due to the seal breaking and misting occuring.
    I suspect that nor much training is involved and that the energy efficiency certificates will be more nuisance than help. They're not compulsory until October are they?

Comment

Originally posted by johnjw View Post
      I suspect that nor much training is involved
      What's the point of making wild guesses if you really don't know?

And what do you mean by 'not much'?

And the length of training to some extent depends on prior knowledge/understanding of materials science, physics, energy systems and ICT.

The answer is : not as much as a degree course in quantity surveying, but about as much an A level in a Science course.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Originally posted by Kathryn View Post
        The property is a one bedroom flat in a listed building. No mains gas supply. Original sash windows. 1 storage heater in the bedroom. 1 storage heater in the living room. Instant hot water for the electric shower.

I have just paid somebody to tell me that the energy efficiency would be improved by double glazing and that storage heaters are not very energy efficient ...and that's it!

I wonder how much trasining you need for this job..............
        I am about to have my EPC done and it's a complete waste of money. Like you I have a 1 bedroom apartment in a listed stone building. I can't have loft insulation or cavity wall insulation. The sash windows can't be changed but I have secondary double glazing and all my lighting is low voltage. What on earth can an EPC tell me or a prospective tenant what I don't already know? £100 for nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
          I am about to have my EPC done and it's a complete waste of money. Like you I have a 1 bedroom apartment in a listed stone building. I can't have loft insulation or cavity wall insulation. The sash windows can't be changed but I have secondary double glazing and all my lighting is low voltage. What on earth can an EPC tell me or a prospective tenant what I don't already know? £100 for nothing.

£100 ???

Look around most people i know are paying £40 and that's for a 4 let house !
          A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
          W.Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by johnjw View Post
            The claim for increased efficiency through double glazing is controversial.?

I dont think that there is any doubt that double glazing is considerably more energy efficient than single glazing ..........it WILL be considerably cheaper to heat a prop fitted with such...

Wether it is finacially efficient to install them is a whole different discussion .....

Whilst considering energy efficiency ....are EPC's as a whole energy efficient .....thats a lot of LL & epc inspectors wasting precious fuel to meet on site ....paper work ...photocopiers spewing out epc reports for potential T 's ..........that's the footprint ....with no tangible saving .....

just to be told
            1. combi boilers are best
            2. double glazing is good
            3. loft insulation is a good idea
            4. le bulbs are better

oh if you like , you can also put a windmill in the garden , and solar panels on the roof ...........also scavenging in the bins at your local takeaway at 12am for already cooked food will also help cut down on your cooking bills...

If people, (and very much the government) want to make us a more fuel efficient nation ..then isn't this made LAW:

www.water4gas.com
            (b4 any asks ...no i am not connected in anyway to this !! other than thinking it is such a good idea i will be trying it!)

The Rodent
            A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
            W.Churchill

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X