When must EPC be made available to prospective T?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When must EPC be made available to prospective T?

I am a letting agent and I have a query on the new legislation coming into effect in regards to rental properties from 1st October 2008.

At what point must we as an agency make the EPC certificate available to prospective tenants.

I have spoke to five EPC providers and they have told me that I can take a property on the market, advertise it and conduct viewings as long as I have an EPC report booked. However on the government website and according to only one EPC provider my understanding is that the report should be made available to prospective tenants before a viewing is conducted or written details are given out.

There seems to be very conflicting information, so could someone please help.

Many Thanks

If you find a tenant before the 1st October then you won't need one.

If you find someone interested in becoming a tenant on or after the 1st October you will need to show the EPC to potential tenants, you are also required to provide them with a copy if they request one, these can only be charged upto the cost of materials.

If you already have a tenant in the property and is on-going you dont need an EPC, you will require one when the tenant leaves (on or after 1st October) ready for potential new tenants.

The EPC will last 10 years under the present ruling.
    1st Call DEA

*Domestic Energy Assessor / Home Information Packs
    *Home Energy Surveys
    *Rented Property Energy Certificates

Comment

Thank you for your reply. So we cannot take a property on the market and arrange viewings untill a report has been conducted and we have posession of it?

Comment

YOu can place it on the market today, you wont need to show an EPC upto last day of September.

Show anyone from the 1st October you need to show the EPC.

If you dont think your going to find a tenant by the 1st October get an EPC done
        1st Call DEA

*Domestic Energy Assessor / Home Information Packs
        *Home Energy Surveys
        *Rented Property Energy Certificates

Comment

Originally posted by Baggers View Post
          If you find a tenant before the 1st October then you won't need one.

If you find someone interested in becoming a tenant on or after the 1st October you will need to show the EPC to potential tenants, you are also required to provide them with a copy if they request one, these can only be charged upto the cost of materials.

If you already have a tenant in the property and is on-going you dont need an EPC, you will require one when the tenant leaves (on or after 1st October) ready for potential new tenants.

The EPC will last 10 years under the present ruling.
          What legislation says that the EPC MUST be available or even given to a tenant from October. I find no reference to the source of that requirement?

Comment

Have a look on the communities and gov website www.communities.gov.uk in the planning section then the environment section then there should be info on EPCs

Alternatively visit the opsi website www.opsi.gov.uk, the full EU 2007 regs can be found on there!
            My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

In fact Iv done you one better. Follow both of these links for the relevant info;

http://www.communities.gov.uk/planni...erssolicitors/

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2007/uks..._en_2#pt2-l1g6

I should have been an EPC'er...I'm just too helpful at times...
              My views and posts are based on my opinion and any advice given is just that, advice. If you decide to act on any advice given it is with the full knowledge that I am not perfect and anything I say could be wrong!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X