Must landlord disclose whole EPC to tenant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuart at my home energy
    replied
    EPCs for Tenants

I'm a DEA. You need to be able to show the EPC to all new tenants when they view your property if they will occupy after 1st October - so for any new tenancy agreement dated 1st onwards.

If your viewers have internet access then you don't even need to show them any paper at all - just provide the code to access the central database - the Landmark register - where all the EPCs are held. If they don't have reasonable access to the internet or their local library then you are required so show them a hard copy of the EPC.

You only have to give a copy of the EPC to the tenant who then occupies your property. A copy will do and this doesn't necessarily have to be in colour.

Leave a comment:

• Gwenda
    replied
    Thanks for all you comments, very useful.

Leave a comment:

• hip-consultant.co.uk
    replied
    If the recommendations are followed it certainly will bring benefits all round, including to landlords, especially those that pay the energy bills for their properties.

Your comments on actual energy prices being halved from house to house is a stark reality in the differences that can be found. Some may not consider this for sure, however i feel with energy prices rising as they are and the media surrounding this; it is bound to give rise to more tenants/home owners looking at reducing these costs.

The EPC will be asked for more when considering a property as time goes by. For landlords committed to providing quality accommodation, it really is nothing to fear.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by hip-consultant.co.uk View Post
    Some LL's do seem to be worried that this may cause i large influx of residents/tenants asking for improvments to be made based upon recommendations within the report.
    Good for the tenants! Good for the planet!

Market forces will rule, of course. But landlords who are unwilling to invest in such improvements may ultimately find themselves with empty houses, their tenants having de-camped to houses where their energy bills are halved.

Leave a comment:

• hip-consultant.co.uk
    replied
    Funnily enough I had the same discussion today. Yes the whole report needs to be made available. As in affect the EPC is the whole report if you get my meaning.

You will see particulars maybe with just the EPC graph attached/included as you do with properties on the market for sale. Though if requested you do have to make the whole EPC available.

Some LL's do seem to be worried that this may cause i large influx of residents/tenants asking for improvments to be made based upon recommendations within the report.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    The DEA I use thinks you have to make the whole thing available to tenants, although you don't necessarily have to give them their own copy.

You as landlord can access your own full report electronically on this websire using your RRN number (this will be on the front page of your EPC):

https://www.hcrregister.com/ReportRetrieve

It saves photocopying!

Leave a comment:

• caroline7758
    replied
    Can't answer the specific question, but you only need an EPC for new tenants, not existing ones.You probably knew that, but just checking!

Leave a comment:

• Gwenda
    started a topic Must landlord disclose whole EPC to tenant?

Must landlord disclose whole EPC to tenant?

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me. With EPCs, I know they have to be available for tenants from 1st Oct. What I want to know is if the whole report has to be available to tenants (i.e. with all the recommendations etc) or if I'm ok to just provide the covering pages showing costs and actual and potential performance.

Any comments appreciated, thanks.

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X