Must landlord disclose whole EPC to tenant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must landlord disclose whole EPC to tenant?

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me. With EPCs, I know they have to be available for tenants from 1st Oct. What I want to know is if the whole report has to be available to tenants (i.e. with all the recommendations etc) or if I'm ok to just provide the covering pages showing costs and actual and potential performance.

Any comments appreciated, thanks.

Can't answer the specific question, but you only need an EPC for new tenants, not existing ones.You probably knew that, but just checking!

Comment

The DEA I use thinks you have to make the whole thing available to tenants, although you don't necessarily have to give them their own copy.

You as landlord can access your own full report electronically on this websire using your RRN number (this will be on the front page of your EPC):

https://www.hcrregister.com/ReportRetrieve

It saves photocopying!
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Funnily enough I had the same discussion today. Yes the whole report needs to be made available. As in affect the EPC is the whole report if you get my meaning.

You will see particulars maybe with just the EPC graph attached/included as you do with properties on the market for sale. Though if requested you do have to make the whole EPC available.

Some LL's do seem to be worried that this may cause i large influx of residents/tenants asking for improvments to be made based upon recommendations within the report.
        Visit my - news and articles
        - resources, news and services
        - information, FAQ and provision

Comment

Originally posted by hip-consultant.co.uk View Post
          Some LL's do seem to be worried that this may cause i large influx of residents/tenants asking for improvments to be made based upon recommendations within the report.
          Good for the tenants! Good for the planet!

Market forces will rule, of course. But landlords who are unwilling to invest in such improvements may ultimately find themselves with empty houses, their tenants having de-camped to houses where their energy bills are halved.
          'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

If the recommendations are followed it certainly will bring benefits all round, including to landlords, especially those that pay the energy bills for their properties.

Your comments on actual energy prices being halved from house to house is a stark reality in the differences that can be found. Some may not consider this for sure, however i feel with energy prices rising as they are and the media surrounding this; it is bound to give rise to more tenants/home owners looking at reducing these costs.

The EPC will be asked for more when considering a property as time goes by. For landlords committed to providing quality accommodation, it really is nothing to fear.
            Visit my - news and articles
            - resources, news and services
            - information, FAQ and provision

Comment

Thanks for all you comments, very useful.

Comment

EPCs for Tenants

I'm a DEA. You need to be able to show the EPC to all new tenants when they view your property if they will occupy after 1st October - so for any new tenancy agreement dated 1st onwards.

If your viewers have internet access then you don't even need to show them any paper at all - just provide the code to access the central database - the Landmark register - where all the EPCs are held. If they don't have reasonable access to the internet or their local library then you are required so show them a hard copy of the EPC.

You only have to give a copy of the EPC to the tenant who then occupies your property. A copy will do and this doesn't necessarily have to be in colour.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to EPC deadline
                  by Snakey
                  At £70 per week, it's £31 per week cheaper than the house next door which is at least a D on the EPC and is very nicely done out. Social housing is £78 to £84 per week but they all have central heating, gas boiler with instant hot water etc whereas we do not.

The original LL inherited...
                  16-02-2020, 08:00 AM
                • EPC deadline
                  by Snakey
                  What will happen if assured tenants are still paying a landlord rent for a house with an EPC rated as an F on 1 April 2020? As assured tenants can't be evicted using a Section 21 order and the landlord can't legally rent out a sub-standard house after 1 April is the landlord prevented from evicting...
                  02-01-2020, 16:55 PM
                • Reply to Stroma won't allow my EPC's to state the correct floor
                  by ATC
                  You are right to be aggrieved. It is a very blunt tool and what is more different assessors mark harder than others. A big problem is that cost of energy is used as well as efficiency, hence electric and LPG is heavily marked down; oil heating is much filthier in terms of the environment but ironically...
                  15-02-2020, 17:59 PM
                • Stroma won't allow my EPC's to state the correct floor
                  by Mrs Dingle
                  Just had my EPC's done and they say the ground floors are solid with no insulation recommending floor insulation at a cost of £4,000 to £6,000.. They were built in 1990 with block and beam suspended floors with 25mm polystyrene on top then membrane then 18mm chipboard. So definately not solid. They...
                  10-02-2020, 18:40 PM
                • Reply to Thoughts on a new boiler
                  by dazwalsh
                  Ideal logic+, its almost like this boiler was made for the rental market. If your not bothered by servicing and keeping the warranty alive then the ideal esprit eco2 is virtually the same boiler just with a 5yr warranty instead of 7/10.

Great hot water flow and highly rated by installers....
                  15-02-2020, 12:20 PM
                • Thoughts on a new boiler
                  by jpkeates
                  Property has a gas boiler and it's about 25 years old and starting to fail from time to time (and make some deeply insettling noises).

Had it checked by a fitter I trust and he tells me it needs replacing. So fair enough, have to bite the bullet.

Before he quotes for the replacement,...
                  07-02-2020, 14:30 PM
                • Reply to EPC deadline
                  by flyingfreehold
                  This is quite a fascinating case and Ive ruminated at length on what to suggest. I think your best line to take is as seems to be the case that the tenancy as an assured tenancy which gives you security of tenure subject to paying the rent agreed or determined for the tenancy. There is a right to apply...
                  15-02-2020, 12:03 PM
                • Reply to EPC deadline
                  by Snakey
                  That's an interesting question - how much is a house worth in rent when it's banned from being let at all on 1 April? How do I go about gathering evidence of what the rent should be? Bear in mind the rent has not gone up since 2010, there's no central heating, the DG is blown, the kitchen is well...the...
                  15-02-2020, 08:43 AM
                • Reply to EPC deadline
                  by jpkeates
                  If you involve the local authority and they serve improvement notices, it sounds as though they'd be serious enough to close the door to section 21 (at least until 6 months after they were satisfied).
                  And the landlord doesn't seem to know what they're doing, so there's also the issue of getting...
                  14-02-2020, 13:24 PM
                • Reply to EPC deadline
                  by Snakey
                  Yeah it doesn't seem at all simple and we can't afford to lose a court case.

Yes you are right on that point. I did recently take a photo of the fungus growing on the living room side of our front door lol (both doors are rotted) and the over 30 year old worktops that really...
                  14-02-2020, 13:06 PM
                Working...
                X