EPCs for shared house (rooms let separately)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Besides thinking that these are another bit of bureaucracy that will waste more energy than it will save, obviously being the law from October, we will have to comply.

I've done a bit of digging, but can't find specific information on these new Energy Performance Certificates in relation to house shares. We have a few of these where the bills are included and each tenant has their own agreement giving exclusive use of their own room, sharing the use of the common areas.

When it comes to marketing, obviously it is only the room that is advertised, not the property. From what I have gleaned so far, it would seem that an EPC is not required. Anyone else been looking into this?
    On some things I am very knowledgeable, on other things I am stupid. Trouble is, sometimes I discover that the former is the latter or vice versa, and I don't know this until later - maybe even much later. Because of the number of posts I have done, I am now a Senior Member. However, read anything I write with the above in mind.

Originally posted by Esio Trot View Post
    Besides thinking that these are another bit of bureaucracy that will waste more energy than it will save, obviously being the law from October, we will have to comply.

I've done a bit of digging, but can't find specific information on these new Energy Performance Certificates in relation to house shares. We have a few of these where the bills are included and each tenant has their own agreement giving exclusive use of their own room, sharing the use of the common areas.

When it comes to marketing, obviously it is only the room that is advertised, not the property. From what I have gleaned so far, it would seem that an EPC is not required. Anyone else been looking into this?
    Hi
    here is a good resource for undersatnding your individual circumstances and requirements. It is the governments guide

The general rule is if the flat is self-contained it will require an EPC.

Hope this helps
    Visit my - news and articles
    - resources, news and services
    - information, FAQ and provision

Comment

Self contained meaning own boiler and gas, elec meter?

For instance I rent a house with mainly bedsits and a couple of studio flats.

It is laid out like a normal house with one entrance hallway etc.

There is one boiler for the whole property, one gas meter one elec meter.

All bills are paid by myself , but there is a coin meter in each room so they pay for the electric they use.

Would have thought it is bit silly to do an EPC as all bills are included and any electric they spend depends on how much cooking they do or how much tv they watch!!

Comment

Originally posted by ah84 View Post
        Would have thought it is bit silly to do an EPC!
        I agree- but not only in this case!
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi, I’m providing this information on behalf of the EPC, so do let me know if you have further questions.

EPCs are only required for self-contained properties ie a property with its own bathroom, kitchen and entrance. Houses of multiple occupancy will also require EPCs, but only when the whole dwelling is rented out or sold; an EPC is not required if tenants renting rooms have separate contracts with the landlord.

For more information, please look here - http://www.communities.gov.uk/public...csforlandlords

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X