Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is EPC grade C actually law yet?

Hi Everyone
    IS it actually a Law yet, that all rental properties have to be at C grade.
    IF it is Law what is the date they have to be C grade.
    OR is this part or a proposal that is not actually Law yet
    Many thanks P

All properties must be at least an EPC E to rent out unless they have an exemption.

EPC C is a proposal, originally for new tenancies by 2025 & all tenancies by 2028, but the legislation has not been written, passed or implemented yet.

Comment

That is my understanding too. I have heard that they are pushing it back from 2025 to 2026, but not seen anything official.

Does anyone know when it might become law? It would be very helpful to see the final regulations prior to making any changes to my properties, so that I know what the exemptions are etc (it is suggested that they won’t be exactly the same as the current exemptions).

Comment

The new EPC algorithm has been launched for new properties and it should significantly change how properties are assessed, so IMO there is no point doing anything until the new algorithm applies to older properties, maybe by the end of the year. Potentially all the existing EPCs and recommendations will be irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
          The new EPC algorithm has been launched for new properties and it should significantly change how properties are assessed, so IMO there is no point doing anything until the new algorithm applies to older properties, maybe by the end of the year. Potentially all the existing EPCs and recommendations will be irrelevant.
          This............ do not spend a penny, but then again do not buy anything which could under the new rules be downgraded below a C !!!

Comment

I can’t see this happening. What happens if someone owns a property that cannot get to a C grade and is midway through a 5 year mortgage. Do they expect the landlord to leave it empty u til the end of the mortgage when they can sell it.
            madness.

Comment

Just because it doesn't make sense doesn't mean they won't do it! Boris has had so much of his NetZero 2050 agenda cut he is bound to leave this one on the table. Clearly LLs can save the world from climate change all on their own while the rest of the world goes back to coal!

Comment

it’s another easy win for votes. LLs are viewed as part of the super rich and any public bashing goes down well with the working classes.
                Climate change is going to happen, we should start preparing for it.

Comment

One of the worst ideas is adding green taxes to heating bills and then offering it back via a few layers of admin.
                  its hard to imagine a less efficient way to get a building updated.

Comment

Agree with all the above, govt policy not making sense is just par for the course, look at right to buy ! I am in two minds if this will come in or not, but i am building my selling plans around it coming in when we think it will. The govt have signed up for next zero by 2050 and i doubt that will change, it will be too embaressing to back-track, they may lower it to a D with a C and above coming in, in the years ahead. If it went to a D then i could keep my properties, but a C....... No way.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernDave View Post
                      I can’t see this happening. What happens if someone owns a property that cannot get to a C grade and is midway through a 5 year mortgage. Do they expect the landlord to leave it empty u til the end of the mortgage when they can sell it.
                      madness.
                      In that situation, you would have to show that you've done everything you can to improve the energy efficiency and then apply for an exemption. There will be quite a few buildings out there which cannot hit a C grade (with many listed buildings being an example). There are exemptions available in the current legislation which requires an E grade and there will be exemptions in the new legislation (although some will be stricter, e.g. there's talk of raising the high cost exemption to £10k).

Comment

Originally posted by JamesHopeful View Post
                        e.g. there's talk of raising the high cost exemption to £10k).
                        Exactly ! And i understand that this exemption only lasts 5 years..... what then.... another £10k ??? Forget that, no point flogging a dead horse.

Sometimes you just have to call it a day and move on.

Comment

That bill doesn’t even have a schedule of another discussion yet let alone passed. Second of all how is that cost efficient to hit a C for properties that is currently at the lowest minimum EPC E. Again, them people are trying to transfer energy costs to landlords. Problem is, it is not cost efficient. Potential save £100-200 a year on energy bill by LL paying for improvement that costs over £10k. Might as well calculate in CO2 emission of products and service as a result of having those works done , it is not efficient. I doubt if the bill will be reconsidered and eventually passed. It’s a historic issue how houses were built. And there are no one size fits all solution to it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X