Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Main Heating" and "Hot Water" have a rating of "Very Poor" on an EPC

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice and help regarding a Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for a flat I will be buying.

The overall Energy rating has a score of "B", which I believe is not too bad at all. The flat was built in 2017.

However, the "main heating" and "hot water" got a rating of "very poor".

Do I need to be worried about this? Or question it?

Thank you.

The whole EPC thing is a lot of nonsense. Be thankful for the B, IIWY.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
      The whole EPC thing is a lot of nonsense. Be thankful for the B, IIWY.
      So are you saying the "very poor" rating on the Main Heating and Hot Water is nothing to be worried about?

Comment

If your rating is "B" overall, that's all that matters currently, how old or recent was the EPC done? If you intend on living there, then I would address the heating system as you will be paying a large bill for hot water and heating, if your renting it, then you don't need to worry.

When changes are made to the EPC, I'm sure your "B" may turn out to be a "D" when this happens then spend the money addressing the issue, until then don't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyM View Post

So are you saying the "very poor" rating on the Main Heating and Hot Water is nothing to be worried about?
          Yup. Exactly that.
          To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Do I need to be worried about this? Or question it?
            If you intend buying it then of course you should query it, or at least make further enquiries. Is it a communal heating system which sometimes appear in the forums as problematic? What is the experience of people living in the flats? Is there an ongoing issue with heating? It will be too late to do anything once you have a tenant in - and potentially complaining.

There are some flats that are mid floors with a sunny aspect that do not need much heating at all - others are like a fridge and need a good heating system although if this is rated as a B the flat should have more insulation than an older build.

Comment

What is the method of heating & hot water? I'm guessing electric - in which case there is nothing you can really change. Electricity is scored very poorly on EPCs currently but that is due to change on the next upgrade. How much the score improves we have no idea, but an EPC B is pretty good. I think I would not be too worried about it.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
                If your rating is "B" overall, that's all that matters currently, how old or recent was the EPC done? If you intend on living there, then I would address the heating system as you will be paying a large bill for hot water and heating, if your renting it, then you don't need to worry.

When changes are made to the EPC, I'm sure your "B" may turn out to be a "D" when this happens then spend the money addressing the issue, until then don't worry about it.
                It was done in 2017. Do you know when the EPCs will change or are expected to change?

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
                What is the method of heating & hot water? I'm guessing electric - in which case there is nothing you can really change. Electricity is scored very poorly on EPCs currently but that is due to change on the next upgrade. How much the score improves we have no idea, but an EPC B is pretty good. I think I would not be too worried about it.
                Yes it is electric.

Okay thank you. Do you know when the upgrade is due to happen for EPCs?

Comment

Okay thank you. Do you know when the upgrade is due to happen for EPCs?
                  The change in algorithm is due this summer, but what & when are two big questions at the moment and we really have no idea.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X