EPC Exemption 2025

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPC Exemption 2025

Hi, new to the forum so here goes my first question, as new investors we have seen a nice flat, it is currently EPC D with a potential of EPC D, as we know the proposal is that by 2025 rentals should be EPC C, given this properties potential is D, would this under the current exemptions criteria be exempt ?

No, it wouldn't be exempt - although the legislation is only a proposal at the moment, so anything could happen.

In the current proposal you can (I think) only request that it be made exempt if you have spent the maximum amount you can be asked to spend (which is £10,000) and failed to meet the required EPC level.
    Again, that's possible subject to change as well.

And there's every chance that the requirement to reach C will be dropped altogether or moved to D (or moved to D for a period and then to C).
    Too many rental properties are flats or terraced/semi detached and just can't readily be improved to C and the potential loss of rental stock might cause the proposal to be a step too far.
    As the Tories are massive supporters of home ownership, who knows?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The whole EPC thing is just nonsense. I mean, has anyone ever heard of a property with an ‘A’ rating!? Surely such property would only be at the ideal home exhibition with every gadget and tech available on it. So if no property can get to an ‘A’ surely the whole system needs a do-over.

Comment

Sadly, I now would no longer buy one that is a D. They (plan to) expect you to spend £10k, on pointless guff, before you get an exemption.
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

By 2025, if they sort out what the are doing, the criteria will most likely change, so if you are intending on buying it, then start saving up 10k to be able to pay-off for the exemption, and mostly likely you will need to pay off this every 10 years, unless they change the frequency on how long they are valid for.

Since your purchasing a Flat, it will be hard to carry out any of the measures without the freeholder permission, and then your service charge bill will reflect this.

Comment

I thought the "All Improvements Made Exemption" would apply, The requirement to meet the minimum level of energy efficiency (EPC E) does not apply where a landlord has made all the ‘relevant energy efficiency improvements that can be made (or there are none that can be made), Given the assessor has said it is a D and can only be a D would suggest there are no improvements?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernDave View Post
              The whole EPC thing is just nonsense. I mean, has anyone ever heard of a property with an ‘A’ rating!? Surely such property would only be at the ideal home exhibition with every gadget and tech available on it. So if no property can get to an ‘A’ surely the whole system needs a do-over.
              its almost impossible with flats. highest we have ever achieved was 88 B

Comment

Originally posted by mikecook66 View Post
                I thought the "All Improvements Made Exemption" would apply, The requirement to meet the minimum level of energy efficiency (EPC E) does not apply where a landlord has made all the ‘relevant energy efficiency improvements that can be made (or there are none that can be made), Given the assessor has said it is a D and can only be a D would suggest there are no improvements?
                I see you are correct, though you have to reapply for the exemption every five years. Whether the standards change, or the new EPC assessor can think of pointless expensive improvements, remains a risk though, surely?
                To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Given the assessor has said it is a D and can only be a D would suggest there are no improvements
                  I have never seen an EPC that says there are no possible improvements.
                  You'd still have to make the suggested changes even if it didn't make it to better than a D.
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I would not buy anything that was not a solid EPC C until the legislation has been written. At present there are too many unknowns & the chance you making a bad mistake is too high.

You should also be aware that a property can lose 10 points over 10 years with no changes having been made, just due to the change in the EPC assessment. The proposed improvements have also changed over the years so unless the EPC is very current it is a pretty worthless piece of paper.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
                      I have never seen an EPC that says there are no possible improvements.
                      You'd still have to make the suggested changes even if it didn't make it to better than a D.

Here's one

https://find-energy-certificate.serv...7791-9124-8561

Comment

Blimey!

In which case, it's going to depend on the legislation - because the proposed regulations and the current legislation look different - but you'd expect the new legislation to update the old.

Currently, the improvements you have to consider are whatever the assessor has noted, plus a whole list of generic improvements.
                        But if you can get confirmation that the generic improvements aren't relevant (which I hadn't considered, because every EPC I've ever seen has either solar panels or a heat pump on it - regardless of whether that was practical), you might be OK.
                        And, possibly, the EPC is that confirmation.

Comment

Done in 2014 - I bet its got some suggestions now - probably a wind turbine or solar panels!

Comment

its got an electric boiler which if changed to a modern gas boiler would land you weill into C territory. Quite tricky if there is no gas at all in the block, however.......Possible but not simple.

Comment

Considering that even the cheapest house appears to be going up in value by about £10,000 a year many landlords should be able to afford the extra expenditure in 3 years time.
                              (One of my houses built before 1860 has no cavity walls so I cant get Cavity Wall Insulation which would take it up to a "C" But I believe Solar Panels would ?)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X