Grease

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ash72
    replied
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    They're over £100, if there's any available: https://www.pagazzi.com/harper-led-2...QaAjyhEALw_wcB
    I'm assuming it's a high end rental, as otherwise I wouldn't be putting a +£100 light fitting in a rental.

    Leave a comment:


  • JK0
    replied
    They're over £100, if there's any available: https://www.pagazzi.com/harper-led-2...QaAjyhEALw_wcB

    Leave a comment:


  • ash72
    replied
    I would have taken the easy option of just getting another light fitting and replacing it, the time and expense of trying to de-grease and item it's not worth it.

    Leave a comment:


  • AlexR
    replied
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    You guys may know that grease deposits left by tenant cooking is one of my frequent bugbears. This week I found globules of grease on the underside of the metal lintel just outside the window in one flat! I can't imagine the greasy atmosphere necessary in the kitchen to cause that.
    It is well known that the Chinese style of cooking (hot and fast in the wok) can cause this. It is assumed that you run a stripping knife over the tiles in the kitchen at the end of the tenancy!

    Leave a comment:


  • JK0
    replied
    Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post

    Try using a hair dryer on it.
    Thanks. That's an idea. I left it next to storage heater when I left. Problem is that the wires are covered with glass fibre insulation, which I think may soak up the water.

    Leave a comment:


  • Mrs Mug
    replied
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    Just now I have to figure out how to get the water out of it!
    Try using a hair dryer on it.

    Leave a comment:


  • JK0
    started a topic Grease

    Grease

    You guys may know that grease deposits left by tenant cooking is one of my frequent bugbears. This week I found globules of grease on the underside of the metal lintel just outside the window in one flat! I can't imagine the greasy atmosphere necessary in the kitchen to cause that. I got it off with sugar soap and a steam cleaner, which I was using for the tiled walls.

    Yesterday I took down the ceiling light so I could paint the ceiling, and noticed this formerly chrome plated item now looked like it was rusty. It's one of these:

    81691_1_2.jpg


    First I tried spraying it with WD40 which had no effect at all. Then I tried Brasso wadding, which also made little impression.

    Finally I removed the fluorescent tubes, and ran a hot bath just deep enough not to wet the ballast, and added a good squirt of fairy liquid. After half an hour I was able to wipe away the 'rust' (grease) with a cloth. Just now I have to figure out how to get the water out of it!

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X