Grease

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Grease

    You guys may know that grease deposits left by tenant cooking is one of my frequent bugbears. This week I found globules of grease on the underside of the metal lintel just outside the window in one flat! I can't imagine the greasy atmosphere necessary in the kitchen to cause that. I got it off with sugar soap and a steam cleaner, which I was using for the tiled walls.

    Yesterday I took down the ceiling light so I could paint the ceiling, and noticed this formerly chrome plated item now looked like it was rusty. It's one of these:

    81691_1_2.jpg


    First I tried spraying it with WD40 which had no effect at all. Then I tried Brasso wadding, which also made little impression.

    Finally I removed the fluorescent tubes, and ran a hot bath just deep enough not to wet the ballast, and added a good squirt of fairy liquid. After half an hour I was able to wipe away the 'rust' (grease) with a cloth. Just now I have to figure out how to get the water out of it!
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

    #2
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    Just now I have to figure out how to get the water out of it!
    Try using a hair dryer on it.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post

      Try using a hair dryer on it.
      Thanks. That's an idea. I left it next to storage heater when I left. Problem is that the wires are covered with glass fibre insulation, which I think may soak up the water.
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        You guys may know that grease deposits left by tenant cooking is one of my frequent bugbears. This week I found globules of grease on the underside of the metal lintel just outside the window in one flat! I can't imagine the greasy atmosphere necessary in the kitchen to cause that.
        It is well known that the Chinese style of cooking (hot and fast in the wok) can cause this. It is assumed that you run a stripping knife over the tiles in the kitchen at the end of the tenancy!

        Comment


          #5
          I would have taken the easy option of just getting another light fitting and replacing it, the time and expense of trying to de-grease and item it's not worth it.

          Comment


            #6
            They're over £100, if there's any available: https://www.pagazzi.com/harper-led-2...QaAjyhEALw_wcB
            To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by JK0 View Post
              They're over £100, if there's any available: https://www.pagazzi.com/harper-led-2...QaAjyhEALw_wcB
              I'm assuming it's a high end rental, as otherwise I wouldn't be putting a +£100 light fitting in a rental.

              Comment

              Latest Activity

              Collapse

              Working...
              X