ECO3 Scheme - Replacement of Electric Heaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ECO3 Scheme - Replacement of Electric Heaters

I have 2 properties which have electric heating only, they are currently an E and a D rating, they have the usual panel electirc heaters which the tenants like and they work fine. I have just found the link for the above govt scheme, has anyone used it ? The storage heaters they are talking about sound good but like all storage heaters they need the Eco 7 Tariff and from what i hear that is not a good thing as the heat when it is needed is not there. One of my tenants should qualify but the other may not....... are these newer stroage heaters worth it ? And do they work to give heat when a person comes home from work or the shops and needs some instant decent warming......

Eco. 7 Tariffs only work for those who work normal hours, those who work in shifts or evening this is no longer a viable option. The best thing is to get onto a cheap tariff so your not restricted in conforming to any set periods when you need to use the electricity.

If you can hold off from getting it, I would, as if you purchase them now (and I know some of these SH's are expensive) they may get you exempt from the proposed 10k limit.

Comment

What Ash said.

Indeed, storage heaters only make sense if the wasted heat costs less than the price difference between day rate and night rate. I took the best E7 fix I could find at home from EDF. The day rate is 23p, and the night rate is 9.5p.

Conventional storage heaters have about 40% left in them by 5pm. I think I'd be better off on a single rate if I wasn't charging electric car, and running washing machine.
      To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

According to the website it runs until March and for the right applicant (on some kind of benefit etc) these expensive storage heaters are free..... not too sure what catch there is with that but if they were totally free i may be a no brainer.

Comment

I'd be reluctant to force storage heaters on a tenant - even if there was a saving which there probably won't be!

I'd also be waiting to see what the impact of the new EPC algorithm (summer 2022?) has on electric heating in case you have to rip them straight out again to get a C!

Comment

They were my thoughts....... what a total mess the govt have made the PRS. The scheme runs out in March and if there is no grant after that the properties will not get a C and my decision to evict is set in stone.
            Last edited by Hudson01; 09-01-2022, 17:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

The Govt appears to have some big, relevant problems at the moment:

1. How to reduce utility bills - including a suggestion to remove green levies (upto 40% of your electricity bill)
              2. The failure of the GHG & the criticism of its heat pump initiative
              3. The bill with EPC C in it still not being published (due at the 'end of the year')
              4. The bill to remove S21 still not published
              5. The energy crisis showing that renewables leave us open to supply issues and soaring prices
              6. inflation and the public's unwillingness to fund NetZero 2050
              7. Covid!

Add to this the particular problems win the PRS at the moment - rising rents, falling supply, houses being mover to short lets & holiday homes, new algorithm in the summer - and I think there is definitely hope that there may be some delays or changes to the EPC requirements.

I am certainly holding fire on changes to or sales of electrically heated properties until the murky water clears!

Comment

I know some people dont agree but we are still working on energy improvements to the structure of let homes. The easy fixes are done. Now down to the more espensive problems to fix

Comment

Originally posted by L4NDLORD View Post
                  I know some people dont agree but we are still working on energy improvements to the structure of let homes. The easy fixes are done. Now down to the more espensive problems to fix
                  I actually do agree with you, the question as LL's we all have to ask ourselves is ..... do the sums add up ? Some of these expensive fixes could cost so much that the overal ROI figures do not add up, so they are then sold. I have said before that this is not a good or a bad thing, it is a simple financial calculation and a desire by the property owner to have a change of direction. Time will tell.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X