EPC C Legislation ..... When will we know ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPC C Legislation ..... When will we know ?

This article was interesting, but has not told me a great deal more than i already knew. It did make one salient point though...... none of this is law yet, so does anyone have a '' Scooby-Doo' when we will know ?

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...dly-homes.html

https://burlingtonslegal.com/news/pr...lords-in-2025/

What do the new changes entail?

Currently, domestic private rental properties must meet a minimum level of energy efficiency which is an EPC rating of E.

However, beginning 2025, all newly rented properties will be required to have a certification rating of C or above. Existing tenancies will have until 2028 to comply. These changes will ensure energy-efficient homes and assist in meeting the government’s net-carbon zero targets.

Comment

Interesting, so what ever consultation is taking place runs out at the end of this month......let us see what 2022 brings

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson01 View Post
        Interesting, so what ever consultation is taking place runs out at the end of this month......let us see what 2022 brings
        Buddy, seriously, 'Consultation'? Do you still take that phrase seriously? Any time TPTB tell you they are going to conduct a 'consultation', you should know by now it's a euphemism for 'fait accompli'.
        To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

I do agree, i guess we are simply Turkeys waiting for Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by mokka View Post
            [h=2]https://burlingtonslegal.com/news/pr...lords-in-2025/
            However, beginning 2025, all newly rented properties will be required to have a certification rating of C or above. Existing tenancies will have until 2028 to comply.
            This is still only the proposal. There is talk that 2025 has been moved to 2026 and Lord Callanan stated recently that the bill would be published 'soon'; other sources have said 'by the end of the year'.

I think they are hoping that by the time they actually publish the legislation we will all be so used to 2025 / 8 that we will just accept it!

Given that it is very nearly 2022 the time to make any improvements is quite short plus there is supposedly an adjustment to the EPC algorithm due next year. Quite frankly the whole thing is a huge mess.

I keep seeing stories of people unable to find a suitable rental - can you imagine how hard that is going to get once the proposals are confirmed and many LLs rush for the door?

Comment

The blood on the carpet will be such that the entire economy will crash as a result of this one bit of legislation, and the housing crisis will be overwhelming (non availability of homes, mass negative equity and housing immobility).

It will be a complete reset for the United Kingdom

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post

Given that it is very nearly 2022 the time to make any improvements is quite short
                Exactly. The work to get my terraced house up to a C took over 6 months once the builders had started. Try finding builders and materials at the moment let alone when there is a panic on.

I can see much of the Private Rental Sector being shunted across to the Housing Associations who will not be affected by the regulations

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                  I can see much of the Private Rental Sector being shunted across to the Housing Associations who will not be affected by the regulations
                  I can see that the demand will be focused on the local authority/housing association side of things but there are virtually zero properties on that side, already new arrivals on the waiting list are being directed towards the grubby 2 star hotels that long ago stopped catering to those without a drug or alcohol problem.

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
                    .......... and many LLs rush for the door?
                    And i will be one of them !!!! I keep seeing articles with refurbishment figures which even if cut in half would still be too much for me to agree too..... Oh to be a potential renter in 2025.

Comment

I hear it is now being extended to 2026.

Comment

Originally posted by K-21 View Post
                        I hear it is now being extended to 2026.
                        The new tenancy date does not bother me at all as my current tenants are long term so i see no real prospect of then leaving, it is the exiting tenant date (2028) which i am really bothered about.

Comment

I cannot see it happening in a way that actually forces all properties to become compliant. That would trigger a huge supply-demand imbalance - which I think already exists in many areas and has grown nearly as far as it reasonably can.

Get-out clauses must remain (e.g. as exist at the moment, with a price cap on required measures.) The only other way that I could see that it could be done is if there was a dramatic increase in owner-occupier levels... but there is no sign of this happening.
                          There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Originally posted by doobrey View Post
                            I cannot see it happening in a way that actually forces all properties to become compliant. That would trigger a huge supply-demand imbalance - which I think already exists in many areas and has grown nearly as far as it reasonably can.

Get-out clauses must remain (e.g. as exist at the moment, with a price cap on required measures.) The only other way that I could see that it could be done is if there was a dramatic increase in owner-occupier levels... but there is no sign of this happening.
                            Higher owner occupier levels are undesirable in a sophisticated economy.

The get out clause will be that you sell at a 50% discount as the economy goes into free fall. Everyone who purchased property with a mortgage over the past 10 years would be in negative equity for a lifetime, nobody will be able to move home, and banks will start going bust.

Which is why they are deferring it to a likely next parliament.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
                              Which is why they are deferring it to a likely next parliament.
                              I like the sound of that, the longer the better, but if the worse happens it will simply be a change of my plans, not a total disaster....... for my tenants however !!!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X