EPC and double glazing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPC and double glazing

I recently had an EPC survey carried out and was issued with a rating of 66/D (only 3 points below a C).

My existing windows are 1950s aluminium framed double glazing in timber frames with, according to the surveyor, a 12mm maximum glazing gap.
    Thinking of renewing some of the glazing and doors anyway I asked the surveyor what standard of new uPVC windows I should fit and what affect it would have on my score.
    They said that it would not matter whether I fit double or triple glazing because they only take into account the glazing gap between the outer panes up to a maximum of 16mm.
    Now all the glazing companies I have spoken to fit 20mm or more glazing gap windows, some offering triple glazed.
    But what is the point of this if I can not be sure that it is going to increase my EPC score and by how much?
    Are there any EPC Surveyors on here that can advise on this?

Thank you.

Unless you are in Scotland, you might be better off not doing anything. Reason being there is a monetary limit to the amount they can ask you to spend to raise your EPC. If you already made improvements, you've reset the clock as regards spending.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Want to hit EPC C? Blindfold yourself, throw darts at a board whilst someone else moves the board in a random manner!

Sorry I can't be more help but that is how it feels at present. Seriously, upgrading your 1950s DG is probably a good idea anyway and should give you a better EPC.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        Unless you are in Scotland, you might be better off not doing anything. Reason being there is a monetary limit to the amount they can ask you to spend to raise your EPC. If you already made improvements, you've reset the clock as regards spending.
        Thanks I didn't realise there was a monetary limit (£3500), but I doubt it would count as an improvement if it didn't raise my EPC score because of the 16mm glazing gap limit? I would then need to spend another £3500 on something else.

Comment

Wall insulation and solar pv seem big scorers to up your rating

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post
            Want to hit EPC C? Blindfold yourself, throw darts at a board whilst someone else moves the board in a random manner!

Sorry I can't be more help but that is how it feels at present. Seriously, upgrading your 1950s DG is probably a good idea anyway and should give you a better EPC.
            Your first paragraph doesn't tell me anything I don't already know.

Yes I am considering upgrading some of my 1950s double glazing, but the whole point of my question is: do I fit cheaper standard spec. double glazing which may not improve my EPC rating or fit high spec. maybe triple glazing, which when EPC surveyed may score no more than the standard spec. for reasons I have already explained and be a waste of money.

As I say in my question, I am really looking for a qualified experienced EPC surveyor on here to give me some positive advise and input.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
              Wall insulation and solar pv seem big scorers to up your rating
              Yes, but for various reasons I don't want to go for the other options which were:-

Recommendation 1: Internal or External wall insulation - Typical installation cost £4,000 - £14,000.
              Recommendation 2: Floor insulation - Typical installation cost £800 - £1200.
              Recommendation 3: Solar water heating - Typical installation cost £4000 - £6000.
              Recommendation 4: Solar photovoltaic panels 2.5kWp - Typical installation cost £3500 - £5500.

is because I do not personally require them, but updating the 1950s glazing would be an improvement to me, which is why the title to this question is 'EPC and double glazing'.

Comment

Originally posted by Gramsky View Post

Yes, but for various reasons I don't want to go for the other options which were:-

Recommendation 1: Internal or External wall insulation - Typical installation cost £4,000 - £14,000.
                Recommendation 2: Floor insulation - Typical installation cost £800 - £1200.
                Recommendation 3: Solar water heating - Typical installation cost £4000 - £6000.
                Recommendation 4: Solar photovoltaic panels 2.5kWp - Typical installation cost £3500 - £5500.

is because I do not personally require them, but updating the 1950s glazing would be an improvement to me, which is why the title to this question is 'EPC and double glazing'.
                If you are hoping that some bloke on the internet will give you a different answer from the one already provided by your qualified surveyor then I'm happy to oblige.
                Get the better triple glazed stuff.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X