Cavity Wall Insulation. Cost for EPC Improvement ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cavity Wall Insulation. Cost for EPC Improvement ?

I have an end terrace built about 100+ years ago. When the EPC was done it said that it was Solid Walls.
    After fitting an extractor my electrician said there was a 2" (or more) gap between the inner wall and the outer wall.
    Which would mean that I could get Cavity Wall Insulation.
    Although the improvements I have done will move it from an EPC of "E" to "D" I believe that if I have Cavity Wall Insulation it will move the EPC into an "C"
    What is the approximate cost of having an end semi done please,
    And why is there such a shortage of firms doing it, the nearest one I find on the internet is 40 miles away and they dont want to travel that far to do just one house.

Cost probably under £1000 - Before you put cavity wall insulation in a house built to breathe just be sure you understand the implications for damp.

Comment

Be vary careful if your property is in an area subject to "driving rain" as it increases the damp risk a lot - you can see some maps here - http://nhbccampaigns.co.uk/landingpa...1/appendix.htm

There was an interactive postcode lookup version but cannot find it online now
      My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Dont use fluff (blown glass) as it will slump if it gets wet. Better to use ecobead which is free draining. If the house has lime mortar leave it be. Nobody seems to be all that interested in EPCs despite the huge efforts landlords are making to raise their grades........

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
          Nobody seems to be all that interested in EPCs despite the huge efforts landlords are making to raise their grades........
          What makes you say that? Scotland have just brought in legislation requiring EPC C from 2025/8 so I think we can assume the same will be applied elsewhere once the MEES bill goes through.

I believe it will precipitate a housing crisis as swathes of properties become unlettable overnight. The Govt seems to believe LLs are going to pay the tens of thousands required to upgrade their properties in the same way that they believed only a few University courses would charge the £9k max when that came in!! Unfortunately, they and their advisers do not live in the real world!

Comment

I updated an end terrace which was originally built around 1900 and I went straight for insulated plaster board on internal walls. The house is now an EPC C.

The cost of this will be prohibitive to most as I spent over the government recommended £10,000 on the property. The costs rise because you have to refit inside, new bathroom , decoration etc.

Comment

AlexR,

This is the time to insulate - when you do a major refurb. As you say for anyone trying to retro fit the costs are so much more than just the insulation. Not sure any of the policy makers understand this.

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post

This is the time to insulate - when you do a major refurb. As you say for anyone trying to retro fit the costs are so much more than just the insulation. Not sure any of the policy makers understand this.
                This is now my approach on refurbs (at least for solid walls) - going DIY on the the current solid walled terrace, and will discuss with the assessor if that can be acceptable (noting also he needs to be able to see the insulation). This street is mostly landlords, and none are C or better!

Sorry I can't comment on cavity walls - will be crossing that bridge on my next project.

Comment

Regarding the potential for damp in solid wall properties; in the last few days I've been doing a lot of research in this area (for a slightly different issue) and it would appear that if you are doing internal insulation, then you run the very real problem of preventing internal heat from warming up the solid wall like it originally did. So whilst your rooms are warm as desired, the solid walls are cold. Therefore, when it rains, the bricks/masonry potentially do not dry out properly and in winter it can freeze and may lead to brick spalling.
                  To prevent this issue, my own analysis would be to apply a masonry water repellent protection cream (which is where my research started!). There are loads out there under own-name brands and leading brands (some are tested in science labs, some are not), but the market leader and BBA certified is "Stormdry masonry protection cream". The water repellent protection cream would prevent the rain from penetrating the masonry and stop it from getting wet in the first place, thereby keeping it dry. By keeping the wall dry, it has the knock on effect of keeping the wall warmer. This is my thinking of how you could get around the problem, but I'm no expert!

If you can't install insulated plasterboard (with a foil backing to prevent warm moist air from being trapped behind the insulation and the cold solid wall) because the insulation board is too thick, you can use Stormdry's EP Board, which is thin but still very energy efficient. It is designed for properties with limited space for internal insulation. Stormdry state that the EP Board is designed to be used in conjunction with Stormdry masonry protection cream externally (they are thinking of old properties with limited space and solid walls).
                  You can only buy Stormdry EP Board directly from Stormdry, but you can also get the same product from "A Proctor Group", who produce "Spacetherm", which appears exactly the same as Stormdry's EP Board, utilising the same Aerogel backing. However, A Proctor Group also produce Spacetherm with thicker plasterboard surfaces and in larger sheets and for different applications. My concern is that the EP board doesn't have a particularly thick surface (only 3mm magnesium oxide and once you have your 3-4mm plaster finish coat on top you only have a total of 6-7mm + the 10mm aerogel insulation backing) so I fear that it is potentially vulnerable to hard knocks in a rental property (A Proctor's Spacetherm 13mm board brochure says that it is robust but it can be damaged with sharp objects and force - damaged areas would require a proprietary filler). Therefore, a thicker plasterboard surface from A Proctor Group would fair better in a rental in my opinion, if you had no option but to use Aerogel.

Incidentally, I also discovered that you may require building control when internally insulating. See here for details: https://www.labc.co.uk/news/when-do-...hermal-element

I cannot post lots of links to the products and to articles/youtube vidoes to my research, otherwise my post is marked as spam. So instead, I'll put it all into this Privatebin instead: https://support-tools.com/?b515ca752...1V34RLS/Ndaoo=

Comment

I have lined some cold ceilings and walls with 30mm thermaline and it did improve comfort a lot. But how would the epc surveyor recognise this?

Comment

Thank for sharing that research ifallelse. Looking at the maths of foam insulation i felt that the first 25 mm was the most important and that internal lining of the cold walls was feasable if expensive and disruptive.
                      but the epc regime is inflexible and could lead landlo rds to give up trying.

Comment

I am glad that it was helpful to you Codger.
                        Originally posted by Codger View Post
                        I have lined some cold ceilings and walls with 30mm thermaline and it did improve comfort a lot. But how would the epc surveyor recognise this?
                        Yes, I asked an EPC surveyor this as I wanted to prove indefinitely that I had cavity wall insulation. He explained that so long as you have photos to show as evidence that you have installed said insulation, then they can have those photos to upload as evidence with the report. So he went on to explain that if you put in internal insulation or flat roof insulation, take photos of it, preferably along with a tape measure to show the depth of the insulation so that they can have it as evidence.
                        Hope that helps!

Comment

On damp in solid walls, retrofit is a non-ideal fudge that isn't necessarily compatible with the mechanism of the wall as it was originally built, which in the case of solid walls is often porous bricks and lime mortar that are supposed to allow the wall to breath (though often pointed with sand /cement which undermines that). I tend to be sceptical of trying to waterproof such walls, because sooner or later water will get in somewhere, and maybe the waterproofer can then itself cause spalling - ie the same issue that masonry paint can cause.

I seem to think there aren't many EPC points to be gained from insulation anyway, but the assessor will measure the thickness of it, which goes into the calculations. Anything will make a difference, but ideal form is to target a U-value of 0.3 as Building Regs mandates, which needs 100mm of PIR board or some such. This is my aim on my current refurb, as insurance in case some tyrant cuts off the gas supply, but even that may not be enough to make a heat pump work!

Comment

I appreciate your scepticism, as I was at first worried about this too, however, I just want to say that good quality water repellent masonry creams such as Stormdry have been tested and let water vapour out of the masonry (ie, they are breathable). So they still allow the brickwork to dry out, if they are still wet or get wet. It has been tested to be many times better than masonry paint (report on their website) so would not behave in the same way. A quote from Stormdry's website says "Because it works by lining the pores rather than blocking them the masonry is allowed to breathe and does not suffer from increased frost damage (spalling)."

I understood from my conversation from the EPC assessor that I spoke with and from this article that insulation makes a significant difference to EPC points.
                            The reason for providing photographic evidence of eg. internal or flat roof insulation was so that they have it to upload as proof with the report. Furthermore if you can show it with a tape measure for the thickness, the reason for this is again for proof because I think it is much more difficult for them to measure this type of insulation themselves than eg. loft insulation.
                            In my opinion, if you have spent all of the money on insulating, don't leave it to chance with the EPC assessor - provide the photos if you can.

I note from what you have said about requiring a target U-value of 0.3 that it rules out the Stormdry EP Board - thank you very much for mentioning this.

Comment

My own home had urea foam wall insulation in 1982. But no photos! And the pattern of brickwork does not suggest a cavity wall even though there is one.
                              Epcs are a disaster!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X