Induction hob or gas for student flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Induction hob or gas for student flat

I am replacing the existing kitchen ( which has a gas hob and electric oven) in my student flat. The IKEA kitchen planner has budgeted for an induction hob but I’m wondering whether that’s a bit high tech for a student flat- in my experience the tenants can be quite inexperienced in using appliances correctly. Should I go for it or stick with the existing formula of gas and electric oven? ( never had an issues/ complaints). Any advice gratefully received.

Electric hob over fossil fuel any day. Cleaner , no gas cert etc etc. But I would avoid induction as you need ferrous pans.....

Comment

Does the kitchen have a circuit suitable for an induction hob?

Comment

Electric hob, less money, and you can replace it easily, as you stated, students will definitely not appreciate the difference, and things tend to be abused more in student households. Just get a standard size. I would avoid getting the appliances from IKEA, as their size may be specific to them.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I really don’t know about the electric circuit and induction hobs. Looks like an electric cooker might be the way forward. Ash I’m not sure why to avoid IKEA and their specific sizes as the kitchen will be IKEA, have I misunderstood?

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
            You can buy induction hobs that come fitted with a standard 13 amp plug. I'm thinking about buying one.

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
              What do you need?

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                What do you need?
                that rather depends on the load(s)

Comment

I thought the advantage of induction hobs is that they don't use much power, less than electric hobs and most of the modern ones just need a 13amp socket. Just wondered why you thought it needed anything special (as you know about electrics and I don't)?

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                    Just wondered why you thought it needed anything special
                    Most induction hobs have to be hard wired, but a few come with a 13 amp plug. It's the same with electric built in ovens, most have to be hard wired. So check carefully before you buy.

Comment

Induction hobs need special pans; gas hobs are a nightmare to clean so a no for me in a student rental; I would go for a straight ceramic hob. Quick, efficient and easy to clean

Comment

Induction hobs do use a lot of power, 13 amps is only enough for one full-power ring at a time - they have to reduce the power when multiple rings are in use.

Some pans claim to be suitable for induction hobs, but actually don't work well at all. It's hard for the tenant to know if it's a faulty hob or a faulty pan - particularly if the pan is new, and the hob is not.

Comment

Thanks everyone. The estate agents have got back to me to advise against induction for a student flat which confirms my gut feeling. I’m not too keen on electric having tried it in holiday lets etc, so I think I’ll stick to gas for simplicity.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X