Getting up the curve on EPCs etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting up the curve on EPCs etc

Hi there, does any body have good guidance on where I can increase my knowledge on the EPC process and how they come to their numbers.

Alternative is to do a Domestic Energy Assessors course myself but was wondering if there are any decent alternatives? Many thanks

I found a local assessor using an online search and phoned him. I only had a few questions though.

Having tackled the EICR issue last year, my attention has now turned to EPC ratings - I hate being in a last minute panic about things.

Comment

You put you finger in the air, close your eyes, take a fee and pull a number out of your bum!

The algorithm is so complicated you will not be able to work it out - even if you do the course.

Comment

You can get some useful tips from this pdf: https://www.bre.co.uk/filelibrary/SA...-2012_9-92.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          You can get some useful tips from this pdf: https://www.bre.co.uk/filelibrary/SA...-2012_9-92.pdf
          By the time you've read the 232 pages they will have updated the assessment

Comment

I'd really like to get hold of sample epc calc software as used by the assessors, so that I can assess the impact and cost benefit of various potential improvements. However I can't seem to find anything public domain on the internet.
            I'd have thought this would be a useful independent research tool for home owners and landlords without having to suffer sales pitch from various companies who are give biased advice to sell their particular products and services.
            EPC assessment isn't rocket science, and I suspect my physics degree was probably more demanding than the EPC training.
            I appreciate I would still need a formal assessment after the work.

Comment

If you have a current EPC the points available for improvements should be listed on it. If you do the improvements in the order they are listed your EPC should go up by the points listed.

There are, however, no guarantees. Oh and by the way the algorithm is due to be updated this year to reflect the 'greenness' of electricity vs gas, so anything you learn now may be irrelevant by the end of the year!

Comment

BTW, also you need to keep paperwork confirming you've done any improvements that aren't immediately obvious. EPC assessors will only credit you for things they can see. Insulate the walls yourself, even with photos, and they'll turn a blind eye to any improvement you've made.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X