EPC: C for private homes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPC: C for private homes?

I just received an email from the English Democrats, talking about energy performance certificates. It has the following slightly alarming statement:

By 2035 all homes must achieve a ‘C’ rating for energy performance.
    So what happens if mine doesn't? Do they shut off the utilities until it does? As far as I'm aware, there is currently no compulsion to even get an EPC inspection on private homes.

Anyone know anything about this?

Me thinks lots of homes will need to be demolished and rebuilt

Who are the "English Democrats"?

Comment

Originally posted by Neelix View Post
      Who are the "English Democrats"?
      A political party.
      Campaigner to Re-Establish Democracy in England

Comment

Hum ......... hardly likely to be elected so whats the problem.

I find all these initiatives amusing - there's currently nothing to stop people setting their room stats too high, which many people do - which is equally as wasteful!

Comment

Oh, FFS. It's not the English Democrats who want to impose a C rating. They say it's everyone else.

Comment

whoever it is is going to fail on a monumental scale - the Majority of the UK housing stock is awful

Comment

I think it was a proposal put out by a Climate Change Committee - Pie in the sk.

Comment

Unfortunately the Government is obsessed with this and huge amounts of resource are going to be directed towards pushing landlords to reach targets which are not far off absurd. The government went out to consultation on non domestic properties of which there are about 1,000,000 in Great Britain and is reliant on the results of a consultation to which they received precisely 83 replies. Its ill thought out in the extreme. The sort of work required for massive EPC improvement requires, whether for domestic or non domestic property getting vacant possession and tenants are not very interested in packing up and going so that all of these things can be done.

Comment

Not sure if you realised, FF, but my thread is not even about rentals. It's about owner occupied properties. Have you heard anything about this?

Comment

I don't think we can meet our climate change targets without it. Anything that targets the entire housing stock rather than than just prs landlords is a good thing. That way the country might have a sensible discussion on what is reasonable and most people can agree to. There's no point only making it compulsory only for us while the majority of houses remain uninsulated. Given the cost and disruption many properties won't be done. Maybe they were built too well in the past, they just won't fall down so we build insulated ones instead.

Comment

The problem is that in order to meet our Climate Change targets we need to upgrade the whole housing sector but the Govt can't force homeowners to do this. Some can't afford it, some don't believe it and many just don't care.

Not really sure what the answer is here but there needs to be a better approach from Govt to achieve anything.

Comment

the pointlessness of it is that as we go to great lengths to reduce energy consumption the amount of coal burnt in China just goes up and up. It doesn't matter whether the coal is burnt in Crewe or China, there is only one atmosphere and it doesn't recognise political boundaries. The burden that is being put on both commercial and residential landlords is immense; I wouldn't mind but believe it is all something of a falsity

Comment

Under the latest proposals all rental properties will need to be a C by 2025 and EPCs must be renewed mid tenancy

Comment

Originally posted by cymro123 View Post
                            Under the latest proposals all rental properties will need to be a C by 2025 and EPCs must be renewed mid tenancy
                            I think you will find it is new tenancies in 2025 & existing tenancies by 2028 but this was the proposal that was put out to consultation. Given the disaster of the Green Homes Grant and the negative publicity around this I am hopeful something will change before it becomes law.

In the meantime you can still sign my petition;

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/559700

PS OP was talking about owner occupiers not the PRS

Comment

they want business premises to achieve a B. Only one winner in all of this, regrettably, the LED factories in Shangzou China.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X