HIPs for New Build Homes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HIPs for New Build Homes

I am buying a new build home which will be ready next month, but have been told by the developer that a HIP is not required for it as it will have NHBC. Is this correct?

Originally posted by Rob10 View Post
    I am buying a new build home which will be ready next month, but have been told by the developer that a HIP is not required for it as it will have NHBC. Is this correct?
    No, NHBC is a protection for P in case building work defects are not rectified by builder.
    HIPS is an all-properties imposition (new houses as well as old) and has no overlap with NHBC.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thank you.

Now for a chat with the grumpy sales lady who was adamant that the property wouldn't need one, and that they wouldn't be providing one.

Comment

Hi Rob
        All new houses require a HIP.
        The only difference is that a house built to pre 2006 building regulations will have an EPC(Energy Performance Certificate based on RdSAP in it, whilst a house built to 2006 Building regulations may have a PEA(predicted energy assessment) until it is complete, and then the EPC will be by a different method known as SAP. The EPC will still look the same and have the same info in it. A house built to 2006 Regs may also have a PEA.

RdSAP and SAP are just different methods of getting to same end result, and are just different software procedures into which data about the house is input.

The NHBC guarantee is for the building of the house - ie any defects should be remedied by the builder.

The minimum the builder is reuired to supply you with to comply with HIP legislation is:
        Index
        Sale Statement
        Evidence of Title
        EPC(or PEA until property complete)
        Water and drainage Searches
        Local searches including planning and local land charges

Hope this answers your questions

Jane Needham
        To the best of my knowledge the information I supply is accurate but I do not accept liability except for paying clients You always advised to take professional advice before acting.
        Jane Needham

Whilst the advice given is believed to be correct, I hold no liability for any actions taken on the basis of the advice.

Comment

Out of interest, Is the developer an individual or a large (famous) company who should know better?

Comment

Thank you, yes that does help.

And yes, they are a large developer who should know better!

Comment

Thank you, yes that does help.

And yes, they are a large developer who should know better!
              Perhaps:
              a. the company does know; but
              b. its grumpy saleswoman does not.
              1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
              2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
              3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                Perhaps:
                a. the company does know; but
                b. its grumpy saleswoman does not.
                I am sure this will be the case. Saleswoman should know though.

Comment

NHBC do provide HIPs for new build so maybe this is where she is getting confused.

Comment

I have been back to the developer, who are still insisting that the property does not require a HIP. I was informed that this was to do with the property having been build to the new 2006 Building Regulations, and also, that it was marketed before 6 April this year.

Very confused.

Comment

I have been back to the developer, who are still insisting that the property does not require a HIP. I was informed that this was to do with the property having been build to the new 2006 Building Regulations, and also, that it was marketed before 6 April this year.

Very confused.
                      The latter point is significant, but start date for HIPS depends on how many bedrooms there are.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                        The latter point is significant, but start date for HIPS depends on how many bedrooms there are.
                        There are 2 bedrooms

Comment

I understand that, from 14 December 2007, every sale (no matter how few bedroms in house) is within scheme EXCEPT a property:
                          a. then already on the open market; or
                          b. never on the open market; or
                          c. a let property.

So your grumpy saleslady is right only if it was already for sale before 141207 (not just 060408, to which your post #10 refers).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New EPC is nonsense
                            JK0
                            I don't know whether to be happy or sad about the recent EPC I've received. I bet mine's the only flat in England with storage heaters scoring a B!

My tenant who was there for nine years used about 4000 day units and 4000 night units per year. In the year I have been pottering around repairing...
                            25-06-2019, 11:47 AM
                          • Reply to New EPC is nonsense
                            dazwalsh
                            In my experience, half the tenants dont know what an EPC is, the other half couldn't give a monkeys.
                            04-07-2019, 22:25 PM
                          • Problems with Re-roof
                            mgt
                            I own a Victorian terrace BTL which had a knackered slate roof. I accepted an estimate from a contractor recommended by the managing agent for a re-roof. The estimate drew attention to a number of changes eg a dry, maintenance free joint on the ridge tiles, use of substitute lead flashing. The work...
                            18-06-2019, 04:36 AM
                          • Reply to Problems with Re-roof
                            Interlaken
                            Does anyone roof in Welsh slate these days except mainly on listed buildings? I have had experience of Chinese slate in the 1980's ( irregular thickness) and synthetic slate which is pretty good IMO. Marley moderns are heavy and do check out your joists but the closed ridge system that can be fitted...
                            03-07-2019, 10:48 AM
                            buzzard1994
                            Many years since I reroofed a slate roof - but I used artificial slate then, Welsh slate was ridiculously expensive and therefore only likely to used for listed buildings. The old slates certainly had value. If the tiles are too heavy and the roof needs to be stripped fibre cement slates are light.and...
                            01-07-2019, 21:56 PM
                            tlangdon12
                            I wanted to write something more about how to remedy the situation:

Best approach to remedying the situation is likely to be get the structural report done asap, if the tiles are too heavy, negotiate with the contractor to strip the roof and install the correct slates. I expect you will...
                            30-06-2019, 18:41 PM
                            tlangdon12
                            Bluebonnie's warning is important and useful. If the roof isn't strong enough for the new tiles, you probably have a claim against the roofing contractor under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. As this requires the goods to be fit for their purpose AND the service to be done with reasonable...
                            30-06-2019, 18:23 PM
                            JK0
                            Oh, that's an interesting explanation Blinko. You mean that the flat is big enough for three people, so the energy cost mentioned on the EPC is per person? That's a bit mad though, isn't it? ...
                            26-06-2019, 18:24 PM
                            blinko
                            I don't forget these things are theoretical so a one bedroom flat might theoretically in a calculation terms be two people where is reality could be one for two bedroom it could be two adults and two small children
                            26-06-2019, 18:19 PM
                            JK0
                            Thanks Sam. That is interesting. Even two neighbours on my landing with gas heating only manage a C.

I think I'll just have to tell prospective tenants that the EPC is a load of coblers, and to take the three year cost to be one year.
                            25-06-2019, 19:32 PM
                          Working...
                          X