Install basin in lavatory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install basin in lavatory?

A 60's flat which fell vacant recently has a separate toilet without a basin. If I lived there, I would definitely install one. This would probably take me a couple of weeks to organise, so I am wary of the bills wracking up while it's vacant. I also have two others vacant at the moment.

Would a basin in the loo help it let, or should I forget it and get on with marketing?

If that's the only loo then a basin is essential on basic sanitation grounds but I would be showing it anyway and inform tenants it will be installed shortly.

Comment

Yes. I can't understand why they'd put one in without a basin. There was one in my house, it was pain in the backside. As above, carry on with viewings and tell them it will be installed.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

I have this in hand at the moment, and today have connected up the waste to my small basin. (I replaced the pan connector with one with a 32mm boss.)

I have to run the water supply pipes around the perimeter of the room to the basin. In the corner, should I put in a 90 degree elbow, or use my pipe bender to put a gentle bend in? My soldering is not the neatest.

Comment

Doesn't matter, whatever you think neatest. If you've got plenty pipe knock up a trial section of each if you need to see what they look like.

Comment

I remember, when i was a very small boy, our toilet was outside, in the yard ( yes a small yard ). Of course there was no hand basin.
              The house was rented,( terraced house ) there was a galvanised steel bath hung on the outside house wall in the yard.It had to be carried in to have a bath in the kitchen.
              Shower ? don't be silly, they did not exist in them there days.
              There was no bathroom, no central heating. Coal fires downstairs only.
              Ice would form on the inside of the windows in winter. The toilet would also freeze, so carrying out water to flush was normal in winter. Winters are not so bad now.

And as Monty Python would say luxury, PURE luxury,
              People of today have NO idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
                I remember, when i was a very small boy, our toilet was outside, in the yard ( yes a small yard ). Of course there was no hand basin.
                The house was rented,( terraced house ) there was a galvanised steel bath hung on the outside house wall in the yard.It had to be carried in to have a bath in the kitchen.
                Ice would form on the inside of the windows in winter. The toilet would also freeze, so carrying out water to flush was normal in winter. Winters are not so bad now.

For a minute there, I thought you were going to tell us you had to use the bath outside.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post

For a minute there, I thought you were going to tell us you had to use the bath outside.
                  No, but in the summer, we did get to shower in the yard when it rained, Vertical swiming we called it.
                  Parents did manage to change a bedroom into a bathroom eventually, AND they did not tell the Landlord.
                  BAD tenants, but they bought the house for £ 900, now worth £ 120,000
                  And a cottage in Wales for £ 95. - no electricity or water or sanitation ( Fresh mountain water available behind corrugated iron roof sheet )
                  Those were the days.
                  One cannot put a price on the
                  luxury that was afforded in those days. Pure bliss !

Makes you appreciate houses of today though.

Comment

Ice would form on the inside of the windows in winter.
                    You had windows . . .?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post

What,You had windows . . .?
                      Sadly, home computers were not invented then. Instead, You went out to play, you TALKED in person to REAL kids. went on bike rides, Saw the area, fixed punctures, fixed punctures again when you nipped the inner tube with the tyre levers; You learnt that fixing things was not easy and you learnt to be methodical and have patience.
                      All of which helped me rise to build and transplant engines, repair my own cars-- ( About to remove and recondition and tune a 7.5 L V8 ) . . . but I digress, sorry.

Comment

I wouldn't put one in. There'll be one in the bathroom they can use.

Comment

And the only cooker was the range. The range also heated water for a tank above which made frightening gurgling noises. The range was the only heater in the house. When you did the ironing you had to take the lightbulb out of the light on the ceiling and stand on a chair to plug the iron into the light fitting. No wall to wall carpets - just stained or varnished floorboards and rugs at either side of the bed. My Grandma's rugs had a tigers face pattern and they scared me so much I couldn't get out of bed! And talking of beds - horsehair mattresses! The hairs would occasionally poke out of the mattress - ouch!

Comment

Don't forget the ice building up inside the windows panes in winter

Comment

AND although off topic, ( if we can't have a laugh now and then we are doomed ) had to go to shool when it snowed, not like today were we are producing **woke namby pambies** who wont walk through deepish, but not excessive snow.
                              i heard one story ( university ) were a lecturer stated "Don't expect safe spaces at work". A student replied, "You are evil"
                              Entitled comes to mind.(+ ** )

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X