Terrace roof leaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrace roof leaking

My tenant has been approached by next door that the roof on our terrace house is causing a leak into her house.
    They have had a roofer round who has said that it is caused by the joint between the 2 roofs failing and that as my house has been retiled(approx 10 years ago) and theirs has not it is my responsibility.
    There is no leakage into my side only theirs.
    Any advice?

If it is really the join between the two houses then both of you split the repair, costs if they do not like that approach then send them a link for the best place to purchase wellington boots !!

Comment

I've got a roofer coming out to see what he thinks. They have told me they expect me to pay as the new roof is mine.
      Although the roof was put on prior to either of us buying our homes.

Comment

Sounds as if you created/caused the faulty joint

Comment

If your roof hasn't leaked for most of the last 10 years and you don't have a problem now I think they are on dodgy ground expecting you to repair it! At the very least they should offer to share the cost as they will be getting the benefit.

Comment

I think it depends what was done -- if there was a continuous sheet of felt and lining, and that was split at the dividing line as part of the roofing, I cannot see how the OP is not responsible. If nothing was touched on the existing install at the joining line apart from new tiles, less so perhaps.

Is the leak exact at the joining line?

Comment

When the roof was done it looks like a sealing tape was used to join the old tile to the new tile.
              This is put over the 2 tiles at the joint.
              They say the tape has failed and is causing the leak into their property.

Comment

Ok, so the tiles which have been used on your 10 year old roof sit proud of the existing ' older ' tiles ? I have seen older terraced houses with roofs like this and always thought they were a leak waiting to happen. If that is the case then maybe they have a point.

Comment

Yes that's correct then the tape is put over the joint.
                  I've checked back and the roof on my side is at least 15 years old.
                  The work on the roof was done prior to myself or neighbour buying our houses(which was approx 10 years ago) so I don't feel it's a case of something that I have done causing the problem.
                  Their roof is original slate and not felted.

Comment

I am not so sure it depends on if either of you lived there before, but if the ''' fault '' is linked to the tape used to seal between the new tiles which are on your roof and the original tiles on the neighbours then its down to negotiation between you both. I guess that if the roof tiles used on your side had been the same as the original then no tape would have been needed and the leak would not be there, i assume that is where the neighbours are coming from.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X