Please sign my petition about unfair EPCs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flashback1966,

Why would adding internal wall insulation involve changing sockets and door/window frames?
    If changing the windows to more thermally efficient ones would get someone where they needed to be then that's a far easier (and less costly) option than internal wall insulation which in addition to the cost of the insulation work, involves replastering. Additionally, if everything isn't sealed up really tightly round sockets, switches, pipes etc ,warm moist air from inside can get through onto the cold side of the insulation and cause interstitial condensation. I would have though this might be an even bigger risk in a rented property with windows never opened and clothes drying here ,there and everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by whatsthenews View Post
      My son's just moved into an all electric flat which has UFH with an immersion heater acting as the thermal store for the UFH and supplying mains pressure DHW and it's a C. Built 2015 with triple glazing and whatever the requirements for internal wall and roof insulation was then so it is possible. Lots of new builds (not the mass market rubbish) have ASHP's and UFH.
      The problem is retrofitting these things in older properties

Comment

Originally posted by jpucng62 View Post

The problem is retrofitting these things in older properties
        How long ago did you install the double glazing?

The issue I have with EPC's on non new builds is that they don't accurately reflect the energy efficiency of the property.

We've just had new (replacement) UPVC double galzed windows throughout our 1960's semi. We bought it 2 years ago and the units were about 15-20 yrs old and mostly shot. The new units obviously meet the current standards ie a wider gap and reflective coating etc.
        We've also had a brand new A* rated combi boiler put in,upgraded the loft insulation and added CWI.
        If we had an EPC done now, would these improvements actually be reflected in the EPC, as the assessors never seem to ask how old DG units are ,or even how much insulation's in the loft, let alone go up there. "Loft insulation"-assumed!

We briefly owned a 1960s flat in a Grenfell style "non traditional construction" council owned block. About 65sqm
        No external wall insulation.
        HUGE windows with UPVC double glazing, but the frames were so cold that they used to run with condensation in the mornings
        In the summer the sun shone in to the LR and kitchen all day and they were like an oven
        Half of both bedrooms had the external access balcony/walkway above and they were freezing at bedtime but too hot during the night
        Ancient night storage heaters leaked heat, hence the bedrooms being hot during the night
        No timer or room thermostats.
        Poor (inaccurate)controls on the NSH's
        We were in the flat a lot, but even if we hadn't been, it was almost impossible to turn the NSH's down to low. It wasn't a warm flat and our electricity bills were around £120 a month in the winter. A lot of residents couldn't afford to have the heating on.

All of this and yet the EPC came out as a C! Handy for the council.

Comment

Originally posted by whatsthenews View Post

All of this and yet the EPC came out as a C! Handy for the council.

This is my point exactly - we are being asked to bring our properties up to a standard defined by an opaque process that appears to be based on flawed premises.

Its like throwing a dart at a dartboard blindfolded and wondering why we are not improving!

Comment

I upgraded a Victorian terrace which involved hacking off all internal plaster back to bare brick and attaching insulated board. This is thicker and so sockets, radiators etc need to be refitted . Window frames could also be affected by thicker top layer ( mine were not from memory). In an older house just changing windows to double glazed helps but doesn't do the whole job.
            Your point about condensation is well made however my Victorian house was damp and cold and mould was growing on walls. Since renovation those type of problems have disappeared. In truth the best improvement made was to replace the chimney flashings which stopped the rainwater running down the inside of the chimney breasts.

I managed to persuade the EPC assessor to take into account all of the work I had undertaken but I felt that the EPC system would not automatically reflect the whole of the work done - similar to the example of the council flat above where the EPC is out of line with reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
              Done it but I'm only no 20!
              Now up to 512

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
                Done it but I'm only no 20!
                We are now at 1077 - thanks to everyone that signed and if anyone else would like to please add your name :

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/559700

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X