Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPC Property Assessment & Gas & Electric

Dear Colleagues,

I need to book a property assessment for an EPC Certificate, Gas & Electrical Safety Cert.
    Can anyone recommend a reputable assessor / company in West London, and what the fees should be for a three bedroom house - and what I should look for in the small print?.

Thanks

Best use a individual companies to do each one, the EPC you would be around £40-60, Gas £50-80 depending on the number of appliances, for elec, will depend on the number of RCD's you have usually been 8 to 10 would be around £120 - 180, some will say they issue 5 years but the certificate will most likely be between 1-5 years as it will depend on how old the wiring is etc. Make sure you check the basics prior to the inspection ie the lights all work, socks all work and securely fitted.

Comment

Ring around for the EPC and take the cheapest quote - there's not really a good or bad assessor as its done on an algorithm, and prices vary from £50 - £100! Then take the cheapest.

For gas & electrical certs you need a tradesman you can rely on.

Comment

In London British Gas are probably the best for gas and electric checks. Steady and reliable. Getting tradesmen in this geographical area is a nightmare.
        I had to get and EPC in SW14 recently and tried 8 people before I got a reply. I was not using agencies but private individuals.
        A one bed flat EPC can be advertised at £35 but there are always extras. I paid £80 for a 2 bed flat EPC last month

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

A recent EPC cost me £65 and was carried out the next day which I was happy with. I have used this person twice before. When I sold my Mum’s house the estate agent said he would arrange one and gave me a price of twice that so I organised it myself. he said he was surprised and nobody had done that before. I said as my Mum’s POA I was getting best value for her and he soon shut up.

Comment

I picked the person on the EPC Register who lived closest to my property, and had supplied their mobile number. This was in Sept 2019, and it cost £60.

Comment

Thank you guys. But with the current lockdown in London, can an assessor still visit the property or is it a breach of the lockdown rules?.

Comment

EPCs are still going on

Comment

Thanks guys. Does the EPC certificate have to be in the estate agents name ( if they hire the assessor) or landlords name?.

Comment

EPC is done in the property address not anyone's name.

Comment

Avoid British Gas. Terrible service. They sponsored Shelter.

Comment

Thanks Guys.

1) In regards to the electrics at the property, is a PAT ( Portable Appliance Test ) enough or is a EICR
                        ( Electrical Installation Condition Report ) compulsory?.

2) Where is the best place to hire a qualified electrician who can carry out an EICR, and can you provide a recommendation from previous experience in regards to price and service?.

(Also, to pre-prepare for an EICR, do I ensure all the plug sockets in the house are accessible - as some of them are hidden by furniture and furnishings).

Thanks.

Comment

Re finding an electrician do not use anybody the lettings agents tell you to use. Ask friends locally for recommendations

I will do an EICR and PAT testing on the same day, but remember that a satisfactory report isn’t guaranteed.

your pre is find any electrical certificates you have and walk the spark around the building pointing out hidden sockets, and outbuilding supplies / electrics etc

this guide is worth reading and understanding

https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.or...149/bpg4-1.pdf

Also be aware that there are sparks who do “reports” by email. This is not acceptable practice, you should receive a full report then you can review it.

you are under no obligation to use the inspecting spark to do remedial work, but you will need the 2nd spark to produce a new EICR and other associated certificates as part of their work

hope this helps

Comment

Use a site like Check-a-Trade to find someone with reviews locally. There are a few of this type of site & they have to pay to join so keeping a good track record is important. Hopefully you will avoid the cowboys. Anyone who is really cheap should be avoided!

Comment

use “check a con man” ..... no way these sites are full of cowboys

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X