Who is best professional to check if tree roots are undermining a house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is best professional to check if tree roots are undermining a house?

One of my rentals has a fig tree in the garden whose trunk is about 2 meters from the house ( living room). It has got quite big (its branches are growing against the bedroom window on 1st floor) and I will get it professionally pruned back at the end of winter. It’s just occurred to me that fig trees are well known for having spreading roots. Should I ask a tree surgeon to look at it? Or should I contact a surveyor to come and see if it is undermining the foundations? Thanks.

I can say with a high degree of certainty that the roots of a large Fig Tree are invading your drains. There is only one thing to do, unfortunately and that is to chop it out completely. It will undoubtedly cause structural issues. You can plant something further from the house and a shrub in its place.

Comment

Thanks FF. I would like it checked out in situ though.

Comment

How can anybody tell what the roots are doing ?
        I can say with a high degree of certainty that a tree surgeon will tell you it needs to come out and a surveyor will say they can't be sure but best remove it.
        Insurers normally want to be advised of any tree nearer the property than it's height.
        Personally I would be making a judgement based on my knowledge of the construction of my own property, which is what's important here.

Comment

I have much experience of ficus, its roots are famous for breaking into drains, a very thirsty tree. They also have the power to lift whatever is above the roots, walls or superstructure. No one should have a growing tree within 2 m of a building; you would very strictly speaking have a duty to your buildings insurer to disclose this adverse risk factor as it is material to the risk. It sounds incredible but you will find the roots track back along the drains and your wastes run more slowly. Eventually you will have to have the tree roots cut out with a drains circular saw to keep the flow running to the sewer. If you can get hold of copper sulphate crystals and flush them down the drain, last thing at night, or before going out for the day, the crystals will be likely to kill off the roots, and if you are lucky the tree. Another way of murdering the tree is to hammer in some copper nails, but in the end you will need a tree surgeon to fell it safely.

Comment

Thanks for this. I’m attached to the tree as it was planted by my late father and he was very fond of it. However if it is jeopardising the house it has to come out. It is a 1960s house in the SEast, I imagine the soil is clay. Not aware of any drains problems at present. There is a tenant living at the house. I think I will need to get a surveyor out to have a look, for thoroughness.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X