Removing and re- placing a hand basin- plumber or builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing and re- placing a hand basin- plumber or builder

A small basin needs to be re over from the wall in a cloakroom so the tenant can get her washing machine through and plumber in. Then the basin will have to be put back. Who is the right tradesman for the job? Thanks for any advice.

Plumber.
    but it's a handyman job too which should be cheaper. If not fitted, get isolation valves fitted to the hot and cold pipes to make the job easier next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lots on View Post
      so the tenant can get her washing machine through and plumber in. Then the basin will have to be put back.
      I'm maybe not understanding this?

Are you saying take out the handbasin, fit a WM, and then refit the handbasin again, - so that the WM is now 'trapped' and if it needs replacing or moving then the handbasin has to come off again?

Seems an odd way of doing things, but .... Any reason why the plumber fitting the WM can't do it?

PS. Not knowing the details of what is intended, would it not be better to reposition the handbasin to where the washing machine is going to go and put the WM where the handbasin is now? That way you could get it out when needed without taking the basin off again.

Comment

Agreed, seems an odd plan, surely when T leaves she will want to take machine with her.
        can't you lift it over basin or slide it under on it's side ?

Comment

Yes, I agree. I think my builder has done a blunder by leaving too small a space between basin and wm space There’s no way the wm could fit where the basin is. So I would maybe have to buy it off the tenant when she moves out, or go through the whole rigmarole again. I’m ringing the builder who installed the basin and the plumbing for wm in the cloakroom, tomorrow.

Comment

The original builder probably never invisioned someone wanting to put a WM there.

In the UK we tend to keep them in the kitchen, but I know that in Europe and especially the USA they tend to have them in the bathroom.

Had a long conversation on about it with some Americans - you do your washing where the hot water is, which before plumbing was the kitchen. (Even tin baths were taken in the kitchen).

Comment

It was the builders idea that the washing machine would be put there and he added the necessary pipes. Nice concept, but it turns out the space is too small, so I’ll be ringing him tomorrow. I suspect that whatever happens, it will involve me spending more money.

Comment

Update: the builder has been a gentleman about it. I got a plumber to go and for the washer dryer in the kitchen and the builder is going to pay for it as it was his mistake in the cloakroom not to allow space for a machine to be fitted.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X