Best heating option for small house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best heating option for small house

We don’t have gas and it’s too small for a woodburner I think. Currently old storage heaters which I think are expensive to run. I want something economical and easy for tenants to operate. I was talking to a woman whose landlord put her in new storage heaters and she reckons she nearly had a fit when her electricity bill came through .... they were so expensive to run.

I have started looking online and started to read about gel heaters. anybody know anything about those? I also looked into Quantum heaters but a lot of people say they were expensive to run. Our rental property has double glazing, cavity wall and loft insulation but I want it to be warm and welcoming.

We do not have mains gas only LPG where I live and that is expensive. I fitted a woodburner for my tenant and she was delighted - only has to run the gas central heating occasionally. I would do the same again.
    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Have you considered an air source heat pump system? They're listed on the Green Home Grant Scheme so you might be able to benefit from that?

Comment

I still think a stove is perfect for "warm and welcoming" - I spend part of the year in a property with storage heating and it is a pain - and expensive. I fitted a stove there as I got so fed up of the storage. You can get a really small caravan size one (I put a clearview in that property) and it makes a huge difference.
        Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

I supply storage heaters, but give a discount on the rent, to offset the extra running cost. Seems to work okay if tenant can be bothered to learn how to use them.

Comment

Thanks everyone. We don’t have a fireplace, hearth or chimney either.

Comment

I am making no progress whatsoever! At the moment there is one storage heater in the lounge, panel heaters in bedroom and kitchen and a blow heater in bathroom. Thanks for the advice about wood burner but we think house is too small. Air source heat pumps are out of our budget. If we decide to go ahead with holiday lettings we are obviously paying the heating bills and don’t really want to be paying massive bills for people who leave heat on full and go out for the day.
              Last edited by Twohoots; 19-10-2020, 19:22 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Comment

what about LPG? We have put boilers in running off either a four pack of large bottles or a tank. The suppliers have some clever technology which sends a signal from the tank/bottles when reordering is necessary. I don't know anything about holiday lettings but I suppose you get higher rents and more voids than letting 52 weeks per year. I wouldn't want the bother of checking people in and out every two minutes

Comment

Originally posted by Twohoots View Post
                  If we decide to go ahead with holiday lettings we are obviously paying the heating bills and don’t really want to be paying massive bills for people who leave heat on full and go out for the day.
                  Then put some timeswitches inside the consumer unit connected to the panel heaters. Presumably the storage heater will keep the chill off.

Comment

Is mains gas available in your area? There’s something in the NRLAs mag “ Property” about 1st time central heating grants for landlords. The tenants need to be on benefits. It’s called an ECO3 grant- worth checking.

Comment

Be warned if you put any electric heaters in other than storage heaters your EPC will be hammered.

I have replaced old storage heaters with very modern, economic, efficient electric heaters (Farro use a gel like you mention). I haven't had much feedback - but as they say No news is Good news! However my EPCs are struggling to get more than an E because they are rated like a cheap, inefficient convection heater.

Comment

The only real advantage of very modern, economic, efficient electric heaters is that they usually have a decent programmable thermostat.
                        They don't produce more heat per kwh than old, cheap, ineffiecient, electric heaters.
                        (Radiators / convectors obviously produce heat in different ways, and their relative efficiency will depend on how and where they are used.)

Comment

A lot of people write questions on this forum about heating. The fact is mains gas is the cheapest way to heat a house via space heating. Electric is always going to be much more expensive and sadly you have problems with EPCs if you move away from storage heaters. My advice is to keep the heaters for your EPC but install infra-red heaters, they can be just plugged into the wall and fixed like a painting but better to hard wire them of course. These heat like a real fire ie through radiant heat not convection (space ) heat. This means that because the direct heat from them feels warm generally the actual room temperature is less. I went into a flat which had an ambient temperature of 15C but it felt toasty. It did have quite a few heaters and they are not so cheap (the cheap Chinese ones are but they don't work, buy British or German) but people can turn them on and off as they wish, (you can use a timer) instead of a real fire. They still cost money but it is substantially less than storage heaters which people just cannot seem to fathom how to use properly.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                          X