Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Green Home Grant Scheme 2020

Hello all,
    So I've been looking into the new Green Homes Grant Scheme that's coming out and I was wondering if I could use it to replace an old back boiler (knocking on 40 years old now but still working and passing its gas safety certificate).
    Unfortunately I cannot use the scheme to replace the boiler for a new gas boiler (my preferred option) would you recommend I look into getting quotes for the;
    1. air or ground source heat pump
    2. solar thermal (liquid filled flat plate or evacuated tube collectors)
    3. biomass boilers
    or should I wait until it reaches its end of life naturally.

N.b I've had a £4k quote to replace it with a new gas boiler, this includes relocation of it to a cupboard upstairs

The scheme won't cover this. Hang on to your back boiler a bit longer. Gas will likely be banned in the next few years and a better alternative with funding might surface.

Comment

I was hoping to use the scheme to replace the gas boiler but as I cannot, has anyone had any experience with the air or ground source heat pump or biomass boiler in a tenanted property? Or in general?

I don't believe solar thermal would be a good option as it would still require a boiler during the winter months

Comment

Hi, I'm a retired plumber so have some knowledge of heating. First gas being banned in my opinion is years and years off not in my lifetime if ever. Ground source heating very expensive and if you already have radiators you will need more as the circulating water temperature is a lot lower. Basically there are three types of ground source , 1 drilling into the ground vertically, so ground strata is an issue. 2 Laid horizontally below the surface of the ground, a large area is required. 3 There is a fence type unit on the market which is fixed just like a boundary fence. Do not forget the maintenance costs to the pumps etc a lot more than an annual gas boiler service.
        Air source pumps are a cheaper option with COP of about 3 , but they are noisy and again service costs ( refrigeration engineers do not come cheap).
        Biomass expensive, storage of pellets could be an issue and as timber costs are rising at a fast rate they will become expensive, and if the true carbon cost was made public there would be a hugh and cry about them.

I personally feel that the future will be in hydrogen cells, I know Toyota are look at at this for cars and the have their hands in housing in Japan.

Comment

Thank you for your help banner257 Ground source heating sounds like a difficult one to achieve and Biomass seems like you'd have to rely on a tenant storing and correctly fueling the boiler (Not a hope in hell).

If anything it would be an air source heat pump but would this be more cost effective than installing a new boiler (quoted £4k by the British Gas)

Comment

Get a quote for a boiler from a Heating Engineer other than British Gas - you might be surprised how much cheaper they are!

Comment

Cheers for the tip jpucng62 , I used it as a quick guide while it was empty

Comment

is the green home grant scheme workable?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
                  Come on!

It will be only be provided by fly-by-night contractors, who do a shoddy job, and only do the items that will earn them the most cash.

Comment

In my view they will focus on the customers getting the full 10k grant and also marking up on the jobs that are quick in and out like loft insulation and cavity wall.

All the best

Comment

My problem is that the dwellings in need of most work where ten grand could be readily spent on energy improvements are let to tenants who are elderly, typically protected as rent act or assured, and they are denying access for any energy improvement work or eirc or anything. We managed to get one of them assessed before lockdown and scored G1. Is this a record?

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
                        Unless you've already got your quote and are booked in you haven't a hope of getting anything on this. The sector was decimated by the Govt's removal of support for this kind of work and many companies went to the wall, leaving only a few to try and cope with the demand created by this scheme. I tried 4 different companies - 2 didn't return my enquiry and 2 were fully booked

A shame really as we are now expected to get our properties to an EPC C by 2028.

Comment

Exactly, in other words its unworkable. Incidentally I spoke to our Mr EPC, who is a bit of a misery guts/hard marker. He said that if we upgrade double glazing panels that are over twenty years old that will gain us a couple of marks. I am working on getting those that are low Es at least up to Ds. It is perfectly possible that these will be let continuously for another eight years to the same tenants so we can't line them internally with laminated plasterboard and will not achieve Cs. Undoubtedly some EPC assessors are more generous in their marking than others. I am not pleased to discover our hitherto go-to man - who is a good housephotographer and draftsman of floor plans is a stickler.

Comment

From some personal experience in this area it's a total waste of time (in my humble view), one of the suppliers I approached for a quote actually wrote back and suggested that I write to the government and ask them to extend the scheme!

One other gave me a quote by email on the basis of pictures / sizes for external wall insulation which as £150msq and in comparison before the new scheme launched people were getting quotes of between £90 to £100.

There is no reason for one of these scheme members to help a landlord who only gets the £5k grant when they can help those on less income and get £10k grant.

My view is they are marking up all the work and making hay while the sun shines.

The fact that external wall insualtion is not normally applied between Nov and March except if you use special adhesives suitable for winter suggests the government has not thought this out in terms of practical application.

They should have made it easier for those who needed new windows to get these under the primary grant and not as a secondary.

Add to that in the new EPC proposal they say for landlords to take advantage of this new grant scheme! which is just impossible

You can make comments re the EPC proposal to the government by Dec 30th 2020, I shall be telling them what I think of it and including my evidence before the deadline.

All the best

Comment

We should all do the consultation - if the proposals were changed to a D rather than a C more of us would stand a chance of getting our properties there, keeping the PRS alive

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X