Low EPC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low EPC

I’ve recently had an EPC done on a 1 bed flat that only has electric panel heaters. The flat was given and F23 with several recommendations, being external/internal insulation and high heat retention storage heaters with a dual immersion cylinder. Obviously I am so far off an E that just changing a few light bulbs isn’t going to cut it and external/internal insulation isn’t an option due to age of the property.

I’m therefore looking at going down the HHR and dual immersion cylinder route as think this alone will add enough points. There is already an economy 7 meter in the flat.

My question is that there are currently 3 panel heaters in the flat - lounge, bedroom, hall, so do I have to replace all three with HHRs or would one be enough to get that box ticked for a new EPC? They are obviously quite pricey and so want to avoid replacing all 3 if that’s an option.

You would need to replace all three, as the assessor may spot one and make an assumption that they are all the same. I would discuss with assessor how many additional points it would add, just before you make the investment.

Also the governments green scheme is due to be launched soon, may be worth hanging on until then as it may be more economical to get the incentives.

Comment

If you have a loft hatch, stick an extra 300mm insulation all around it - most assessors are too lazy to bring step ladders or climb up there so will do a basic visual check. My last one stood on a stool and held his camera by his fingertips to get an idea of the thickness.

Comment

I would keep the existing panel heaters and buy some ordinary 2nd hand storage heaters from ebay. These can be wired to spur box timeswitches if you don't have Economy 7 wiring. Only bother with lounge, hall & maybe bathroom if there's room in there. You don't need to put a storage heater in the bedroom, as a large chunk of direct heating will be on cheap times anyway.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X