Very dark flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very dark flat

I have a ground floor flat in a large block here in Reading which recently came vacant. The living room/kitchen patio doors face south, and the two bedroom windows face north. These are the only windows. However, these don't get a lot of light due to fairly large balconies front & back in the flat above. I noticed how dull it is there this week, and I needed the light on in the hall.

I normally paint all my flats magnolia walls & white ceilings, but am thinking of doing it all white, to try & make it brighter.

Any thoughts?

White is good, but you might find a very pale grey is better, less stark, like wevet or wimborne white and more popular. Isn't there a particular light reflecting paint you can get too by Dulux or one of the other brands? Haven't tried it.

Comment

When we had a large letting room above our old pub with only one window, which was overlooked and you couldn't even see the sky so never got any direct sunlight, we painted the walls a bright yellow.

Despite it never getting any direct sunlight some regular guests used to specifically ask for it as the 'sunshine room' when rebooking.

Of course yellow walls are not to everyones taste, but it did make a massive difference to peoples perception of what used to be a gloomy room.

Comment

i agree with jon66. Brilliant white can be very clinical. Little Greene's Flint is lovely (get it matched in Dulux or Leyland). Some well positioned mirrors can help increase the sense of light and space,' too. Actually, there is a Dulux paint range called 'Light and Space' which they claim increases light reflection by 25% (bit sceptical, not sure how they measure it). I've used it in Jasmine White and it's very nice and soft,
        but light.

'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I have used Dulux Light and Space in my hallway at home in the Illusion colour - it does work to a certain extent. I also used a Dulux Colour called Morning Sun in a north facing lounge/diner a while ago - a subdued yellow - worth a look. Recently had some work done to our lounge and builder used Jewson trade white which is very acceptable and not clinical white. In the evening it has a sort of off white appearance you may pay a fortune for with fancy shade names.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Low EPC
            by CLS27
            I’ve recently had an EPC done on a 1 bed flat that only has electric panel heaters. The flat was given and F23 with several recommendations, being external/internal insulation and high heat retention storage heaters with a dual immersion cylinder. Obviously I am so far off an E that just changing...
            05-08-2020, 06:15 AM
          • Reply to Low EPC
            by JK0
            I would keep the existing panel heaters and buy some ordinary 2nd hand storage heaters from ebay. These can be wired to spur box timeswitches if you don't have Economy 7 wiring. Only bother with lounge, hall & maybe bathroom if there's room in there. You don't need to put a storage heater in the...
            05-08-2020, 18:58 PM
          • Reply to Low EPC
            by landlord-man
            If you have a loft hatch, stick an extra 300mm insulation all around it - most assessors are too lazy to bring step ladders or climb up there so will do a basic visual check. My last one stood on a stool and held his camera by his fingertips to get an idea of the thickness.
            05-08-2020, 15:12 PM
          • Reply to Low EPC
            by ash72
            You would need to replace all three, as the assessor may spot one and make an assumption that they are all the same. I would discuss with assessor how many additional points it would add, just before you make the investment.

Also the governments green scheme is due to be launched soon,...
            05-08-2020, 14:19 PM
          • Reply to Mould in Kitchen
            by jpucng62
            If it is caused by condensation - probable on an outside wall - you could try painting the wall with bathroom paint (anti mould). I have found this effective where condensation is causing mould behind wardrobes on outside walls. You would need to clean off the mould & treat the stain with a stain...
            02-08-2020, 22:00 PM
          • Mould in Kitchen
            by stockport1965
            Tenant has advised that there is mould behind the kitchen units on the wall. There is also a stained area of ceiling from a leak that was put right back in March.
            The house is 1910 terrace. It is the exterior wall of kitchen that wall units are on.
            Agent has had someone take a look and have...
            29-07-2020, 17:21 PM
          • Septic tank electricity.
            by Slackjawedyokel
            Hi, I’m a farmer (in England) with two cottages that are currently rented out. We have spring water ( which I’m responsible for) and septic tanks for sewerage. I’ve never made any charges for water or sewerage ( despite spending ~40K on improving the water supply over the past few years).
            29-07-2020, 08:05 AM
          • Reply to Septic tank electricity.
            by royw
            I doubt any official will want to take a close look either. Is there any reason they would want to investigate? Neighbour's is 60 years old and still as good as when it was built.
            01-08-2020, 18:39 PM
            by Slackjawedyokel
            jpkeates
            ​​​​​​I don’t really fancy replacing it either, but I really wouldn’t want anyone official taking too hard a look at the existing septic tank. On the other hand, I’m confident that it isn’t causing pollution so probably all that any official could do is require its...
            01-08-2020, 16:09 PM
            by Slackjawedyokel
            flyingfreehold septic tank in the back garden? Soakaway underneath the back garden?🙂...
            01-08-2020, 16:05 PM
          Working...
          X