Free central heating install for tenants - Grants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Free central heating install for tenants - Grants

My tenant gets child tax credits and child benefit, they mentioned that they have seen that grants were available for having gas central heating installed for free, is this true? Sounds too good!

The property has two storage heaters at present and a very small solar install, property is a 3 bed house and next door has gas, I think this property also had gas but is was removed for all electric.

any help would be appricated before I speak with them.

AS far as I know it does not apply to rental properties. This is where all my hard earned money goes. Freebies for all.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I've also paid in so if something is on offer I'll happily take it!!

It seems you are correct regarding the boiler replacement but Central heating grants do seem to be available.

https://www.freeheating.co.uk/

To qualify for a Boiler Grant, you must be a home owner. Private tenants and landlords no longer qualify but we can help with the Green Deal and other types of finance.

Central Heating Grants can be claimed by home owners, private tenants and landlords.

Someone living in the property must be receiving one or more of the income or disability-related benefits listed below.

A contribution towards the cost will be required in some cases, depending on the amount of work needed and how efficient the property is. This can be paid for through savings on heating bills via the Green Deal.

Comment

Can anyone help regarding getting the gas active again? The property I understand did have a old gas fire but it was removed before I purchased the property to electric only, I assume it must have a gas line to the house, I can't seem to find anywhere I can check.

Comment

Look around for a gas meter. If there is still one anywhere you may find you need a new pipe from it as requirements have changed. If there is no meter left ask British Gas if they have any record of a gas supply to the property.

Comment

Don't get the free sh&t from the government. That's exactly what it will be: 'sh&t'

An elderly tenant of mine enquired about this scheme. They proposed to fit central heating, but only downstairs and to one bedroom that tenant occupied. The boiler would be too small to heat other rooms. What on earth's the point?!

Comment

buzzard1994,

Thanks, there is no meter, only a capped pipe. I found the company that deals with it. Now called Cadent, they will send someone out to check if the pipe is still live or needs to be re run. Rough quote for a new pipe is £1200.

Comment

JK0,

Cheers, it’s still very early stages, it’s a 2.5 bedroom house with a couple and child, I’d hope they put rads in all the rooms.

The property is in Luton and getting a brand new CH install without an existing one will be expensive, don’t really want to pay £5k, if this free/low cost scheme is a no go then I’ll just leave the storage heater in, they are not ideal but I’ve never had a problem letting the property.

Comment

I think a boiler will be eligible under the new Green Scheme due out soon

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Low EPC
                    by CLS27
                    I’ve recently had an EPC done on a 1 bed flat that only has electric panel heaters. The flat was given and F23 with several recommendations, being external/internal insulation and high heat retention storage heaters with a dual immersion cylinder. Obviously I am so far off an E that just changing...
                    05-08-2020, 06:15 AM
                  • Reply to Low EPC
                    by JK0
                    I would keep the existing panel heaters and buy some ordinary 2nd hand storage heaters from ebay. These can be wired to spur box timeswitches if you don't have Economy 7 wiring. Only bother with lounge, hall & maybe bathroom if there's room in there. You don't need to put a storage heater in the...
                    05-08-2020, 18:58 PM
                  • Reply to Low EPC
                    by landlord-man
                    If you have a loft hatch, stick an extra 300mm insulation all around it - most assessors are too lazy to bring step ladders or climb up there so will do a basic visual check. My last one stood on a stool and held his camera by his fingertips to get an idea of the thickness.
                    05-08-2020, 15:12 PM
                  • Reply to Low EPC
                    by ash72
                    You would need to replace all three, as the assessor may spot one and make an assumption that they are all the same. I would discuss with assessor how many additional points it would add, just before you make the investment.

Also the governments green scheme is due to be launched soon,...
                    05-08-2020, 14:19 PM
                  • Reply to Mould in Kitchen
                    by jpucng62
                    If it is caused by condensation - probable on an outside wall - you could try painting the wall with bathroom paint (anti mould). I have found this effective where condensation is causing mould behind wardrobes on outside walls. You would need to clean off the mould & treat the stain with a stain...
                    02-08-2020, 22:00 PM
                  • Mould in Kitchen
                    by stockport1965
                    Tenant has advised that there is mould behind the kitchen units on the wall. There is also a stained area of ceiling from a leak that was put right back in March.
                    The house is 1910 terrace. It is the exterior wall of kitchen that wall units are on.
                    Agent has had someone take a look and have...
                    29-07-2020, 17:21 PM
                  • Reply to Septic tank electricity.
                    by royw
                    I doubt any official will want to take a close look either. Is there any reason they would want to investigate? Neighbour's is 60 years old and still as good as when it was built.
                    01-08-2020, 18:39 PM
                  • Septic tank electricity.
                    by Slackjawedyokel
                    Hi, I’m a farmer (in England) with two cottages that are currently rented out. We have spring water ( which I’m responsible for) and septic tanks for sewerage. I’ve never made any charges for water or sewerage ( despite spending ~40K on improving the water supply over the past few years).
                    29-07-2020, 08:05 AM
                    by Slackjawedyokel
                    jpkeates
                    ​​​​​​I don’t really fancy replacing it either, but I really wouldn’t want anyone official taking too hard a look at the existing septic tank. On the other hand, I’m confident that it isn’t causing pollution so probably all that any official could do is require its...
                    01-08-2020, 16:09 PM
                    by Slackjawedyokel
                    flyingfreehold septic tank in the back garden? Soakaway underneath the back garden?🙂...
                    01-08-2020, 16:05 PM
                  Working...
                  X