Smart Meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Meter

I am buying a house to rent out and I originally asked if it had a Smart Meter and I was told it did not have one. (I dont want one)
    I have inspected the house three times previously and there was no Smart Meter present.
    Because of lockdown I have not seen it for 3 months.
    Had a final inspection yesterday before signing the contract and what looks like a Smart Meter has appeared in the kitchen.
    Not plugged in.
    If it is a Smart Meter and I buy the house can I just get a supply for electricity and gas from a different supplier and bin the Smart Meter. If it is a Smart Meter.

Originally posted by Always Problems View Post
    I am buying a house to rent out and I originally asked if it had a Smart Meter and I was told it did not have one. (I dont want one)
    I have inspected the house three times previously and there was no Smart Meter present.
    Because of lockdown I have not seen it for 3 months.
    Had a final inspection yesterday before signing the contract and what looks like a Smart Meter has appeared in the kitchen.
    Not plugged in.
    If it is a Smart Meter and I buy the house can I just get a supply for electricity and gas from a different supplier and bin the Smart Meter. If it is a Smart Meter.
    You don't "plug a smart meter in ", it's connected to incoming power supply.
    Don't worry about it, it's up to tenants to choose supplier (unless HMO type arrangement) and you will be forced to have smart meter soon anyway

Comment

What you are seeing in the kitchen is possibly an energy monitor. Having an energy monitor doesn't necessarily mean the house has smart meters. If smart meters have been installed you could go with a company like Avro who don't yet support smart meters, they won't change your actual meters, they just won't get the readings from them so you will need to provide those.

Comment

Even if you have a smartmeter which does work there is nothing compelling you to use the little info box. And in fact it is mostly a waste of time.
        Remote readings (by the meter readers) are useful though, but that is only a part of it, and hardly works.

The smart meter fiasco is a great example of supposedly green policies that destroy the planet. In my own home I have had three smartmeters, none of which worked properly. Three whole meters and those big metal blobs were thrown away. Each involved massive waste and was thrown in the bin. When I changed suppliers the final one that did work, didn't. The idea is that they will change behaviour and somehow save more energy than they wasted in the first place (including petrol of engineers who installed, masses of plastic and bits). It might take hundreds of years of altered behaviour that is due to the meter to recover the environmental damage caused by the meter. Somehow I doubt that, and there are better ways to assess energy use by plugging meters into the sockets for individual devices. Global real time readouts of total use give very little green-useful actionable information.

Comment

I'm on my 3rd!

Comment

Smart meters were never about reducing bills.
            That was, and still is, just propoganda to persuade (con?) people to accept them.

They are about remote meter reading for the companies, and the ability to disconnect a supply remotely (legally or not).

It's about saving the cost to the providers of having a large workforce of meter readers, thus cutting the wages bill and the cost of a fleet of vehicles.
            Of course taking all those vehices off the road does also have a slight beneficial effect on the environment, but I doubt that was any pat of the consideration for smart meters.

My supplier bombards me with letters/txts/emails about getting a smart meter, and/or paying by direct debit, on almost a weekly basis - but they can't send me a bill.
            I haven't had a bill since 2016, and that following a period where they didn't sent me a bill from 2013 to 2016.

(I had to threaten to take them to court to get it sorted out in 2016, also pointing out that as they hadn't been billing they couldn't charge for more than the past 12 months. They eventually sorted it out that time by paying themselves the whole 3 years out of their own charity/hardship fund, which was a nice surprise for me but isn't realy what that fund is supposed to be for).

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
              and the ability to disconnect a supply remotely (legally or not)..
              In the future, when there are energy shortages, they will be able to shut down whole towns, cities etc, and just leave essential buildings with energy.

In my town, they already turn off the street lights at night.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Low EPC
                by CLS27
                I’ve recently had an EPC done on a 1 bed flat that only has electric panel heaters. The flat was given and F23 with several recommendations, being external/internal insulation and high heat retention storage heaters with a dual immersion cylinder. Obviously I am so far off an E that just changing...
                05-08-2020, 06:15 AM
              • Reply to Low EPC
                by JK0
                I would keep the existing panel heaters and buy some ordinary 2nd hand storage heaters from ebay. These can be wired to spur box timeswitches if you don't have Economy 7 wiring. Only bother with lounge, hall & maybe bathroom if there's room in there. You don't need to put a storage heater in the...
                05-08-2020, 18:58 PM
              • Reply to Low EPC
                by landlord-man
                If you have a loft hatch, stick an extra 300mm insulation all around it - most assessors are too lazy to bring step ladders or climb up there so will do a basic visual check. My last one stood on a stool and held his camera by his fingertips to get an idea of the thickness.
                05-08-2020, 15:12 PM
              • Reply to Low EPC
                by ash72
                You would need to replace all three, as the assessor may spot one and make an assumption that they are all the same. I would discuss with assessor how many additional points it would add, just before you make the investment.

Also the governments green scheme is due to be launched soon,...
                05-08-2020, 14:19 PM
              • Reply to Mould in Kitchen
                by jpucng62
                If it is caused by condensation - probable on an outside wall - you could try painting the wall with bathroom paint (anti mould). I have found this effective where condensation is causing mould behind wardrobes on outside walls. You would need to clean off the mould & treat the stain with a stain...
                02-08-2020, 22:00 PM
              • Mould in Kitchen
                by stockport1965
                Tenant has advised that there is mould behind the kitchen units on the wall. There is also a stained area of ceiling from a leak that was put right back in March.
                The house is 1910 terrace. It is the exterior wall of kitchen that wall units are on.
                Agent has had someone take a look and have...
                29-07-2020, 17:21 PM
              • Reply to Septic tank electricity.
                by royw
                I doubt any official will want to take a close look either. Is there any reason they would want to investigate? Neighbour's is 60 years old and still as good as when it was built.
                01-08-2020, 18:39 PM
              • Septic tank electricity.
                by Slackjawedyokel
                Hi, I’m a farmer (in England) with two cottages that are currently rented out. We have spring water ( which I’m responsible for) and septic tanks for sewerage. I’ve never made any charges for water or sewerage ( despite spending ~40K on improving the water supply over the past few years).
                29-07-2020, 08:05 AM
                by Slackjawedyokel
                jpkeates
                ​​​​​​I don’t really fancy replacing it either, but I really wouldn’t want anyone official taking too hard a look at the existing septic tank. On the other hand, I’m confident that it isn’t causing pollution so probably all that any official could do is require its...
                01-08-2020, 16:09 PM
                by Slackjawedyokel
                flyingfreehold septic tank in the back garden? Soakaway underneath the back garden?🙂...
                01-08-2020, 16:05 PM
              Working...
              X