Carpet on stairs? what are the alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carpet on stairs? what are the alternatives?

My 4 storey 6 bed shared Victorian terrace HMO has dark brown carpet on the stairs and landings which is now worn. I want to go with light, bleach cleanable carpet for ease of installation and noise reduction but a friend said this would probably be ruined within a year of 6 adults walking up and down on it.
    I thought therefore that I might paint the stairs white but that might be noisy without carpet.

Any budding interior designers out there who could suggest alternatives? Has to be relatively inexpensive, more hardwearing than carpet and not labour intensive! Many thanks.
    assume everything I write is preceded by IMHO...

Originally posted by shoobydoo View Post
    I thought therefore that I might paint the stairs white but that might be noisy without carpet.
    We did this in our own home. It was incredibly noisy. So we bought stair treads, like the ones in the link below. Look around, they come in all sorts of colours and patterns. You can also usually buy a made to measure rug for the landing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/casa-pura-S...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Comment

thanks those look good. Did it take long to paint? I imagine lots of sanding was necessary first!

Comment

Marsie says it took no big effort at all, just a couple of coats of floor paint.

Comment

Brilliant, thanks. Will give this a go at some point.

Comment

In the old days you used to put a carpet up the middle of the stairs and carpet rods across. https://www.stair-rodsdirect.co.uk/s...SABEgJ_4PD_BwE

You'd fold the carpet under at the bottom and when it got worn it would be unfolded and moved up.

Carpet in a darker shade of beige with a bit of a mottled pattern or a lightish grey.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Low EPC
              by CLS27
              I’ve recently had an EPC done on a 1 bed flat that only has electric panel heaters. The flat was given and F23 with several recommendations, being external/internal insulation and high heat retention storage heaters with a dual immersion cylinder. Obviously I am so far off an E that just changing...
              05-08-2020, 06:15 AM
            • Reply to Low EPC
              by JK0
              I would keep the existing panel heaters and buy some ordinary 2nd hand storage heaters from ebay. These can be wired to spur box timeswitches if you don't have Economy 7 wiring. Only bother with lounge, hall & maybe bathroom if there's room in there. You don't need to put a storage heater in the...
              05-08-2020, 18:58 PM
            • Reply to Low EPC
              by landlord-man
              If you have a loft hatch, stick an extra 300mm insulation all around it - most assessors are too lazy to bring step ladders or climb up there so will do a basic visual check. My last one stood on a stool and held his camera by his fingertips to get an idea of the thickness.
              05-08-2020, 15:12 PM
            • Reply to Low EPC
              by ash72
              You would need to replace all three, as the assessor may spot one and make an assumption that they are all the same. I would discuss with assessor how many additional points it would add, just before you make the investment.

Also the governments green scheme is due to be launched soon,...
              05-08-2020, 14:19 PM
            • Reply to Mould in Kitchen
              by jpucng62
              If it is caused by condensation - probable on an outside wall - you could try painting the wall with bathroom paint (anti mould). I have found this effective where condensation is causing mould behind wardrobes on outside walls. You would need to clean off the mould & treat the stain with a stain...
              02-08-2020, 22:00 PM
            • Mould in Kitchen
              by stockport1965
              Tenant has advised that there is mould behind the kitchen units on the wall. There is also a stained area of ceiling from a leak that was put right back in March.
              The house is 1910 terrace. It is the exterior wall of kitchen that wall units are on.
              Agent has had someone take a look and have...
              29-07-2020, 17:21 PM
            • Septic tank electricity.
              by Slackjawedyokel
              Hi, I’m a farmer (in England) with two cottages that are currently rented out. We have spring water ( which I’m responsible for) and septic tanks for sewerage. I’ve never made any charges for water or sewerage ( despite spending ~40K on improving the water supply over the past few years).
              29-07-2020, 08:05 AM
            • Reply to Septic tank electricity.
              by royw
              I doubt any official will want to take a close look either. Is there any reason they would want to investigate? Neighbour's is 60 years old and still as good as when it was built.
              01-08-2020, 18:39 PM
              by Slackjawedyokel
              jpkeates
              ​​​​​​I don’t really fancy replacing it either, but I really wouldn’t want anyone official taking too hard a look at the existing septic tank. On the other hand, I’m confident that it isn’t causing pollution so probably all that any official could do is require its...
              01-08-2020, 16:09 PM
              by Slackjawedyokel
              flyingfreehold septic tank in the back garden? Soakaway underneath the back garden?🙂...
              01-08-2020, 16:05 PM
            Working...
            X