Carpet on stairs? what are the alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carpet on stairs? what are the alternatives?

My 4 storey 6 bed shared Victorian terrace HMO has dark brown carpet on the stairs and landings which is now worn. I want to go with light, bleach cleanable carpet for ease of installation and noise reduction but a friend said this would probably be ruined within a year of 6 adults walking up and down on it.
    I thought therefore that I might paint the stairs white but that might be noisy without carpet.

Any budding interior designers out there who could suggest alternatives? Has to be relatively inexpensive, more hardwearing than carpet and not labour intensive! Many thanks.
    assume everything I write is preceded by IMHO...

Originally posted by shoobydoo View Post
    I thought therefore that I might paint the stairs white but that might be noisy without carpet.
    We did this in our own home. It was incredibly noisy. So we bought stair treads, like the ones in the link below. Look around, they come in all sorts of colours and patterns. You can also usually buy a made to measure rug for the landing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/casa-pura-S...dDbGljaz10cnVl

Comment

thanks those look good. Did it take long to paint? I imagine lots of sanding was necessary first!

Comment

Marsie says it took no big effort at all, just a couple of coats of floor paint.

Comment

Brilliant, thanks. Will give this a go at some point.

Comment

In the old days you used to put a carpet up the middle of the stairs and carpet rods across. https://www.stair-rodsdirect.co.uk/s...SABEgJ_4PD_BwE

You'd fold the carpet under at the bottom and when it got worn it would be unfolded and moved up.

Carpet in a darker shade of beige with a bit of a mottled pattern or a lightish grey.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X